What to do?

Options
I've been losing weight since the birth of my son in August. I've lost a total of 53 pounds and I'm currently at a plateau that has lasted for 3 weeks. I really have no idea as to why---well, since I am broke half of time, taking care of my family and a 3 and a half old son. I have bills to worry about, like everyone else and majority of the bills eat my money. I don't have much money to go out and buy loads and loads of tasty healthy food. I'm on WIC and only get a set amount of stuff. I mean I do my best with what I have. I portion out my foods, I drink water and black coffee only (no sodas), I do have a piece of chocolate once in a while but not on a regular basis. My calorie intake is small yes, but what can I do when there's no money to buy any food to increase it?
I've also been working out for about 3 months now; I've done several things like, biking, eliptical, walking, jogging, running. I've even talked to a trainer who said that weight training will help me boost my weight loss. Well...I've been doing this for some time now and I feel that nothing is happening. I'm starting to get discouraged and frustrated or the fact.

Did I also mention I'm in the military? Usually at my rate of losing a pound or two a week is a great thing for long-term weight loss, but I need to be in a regulation weight by March.....that's a little over 3 months away; I'm still 26 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight and then another 20 pounds to get into regulation weight; so basically almost 50 pounds to still lose. If I can't lose my weight I'll be kicked out of the military before I can even prove I can still do my physical fitness test. I've recruitted the help of my sister-in-law who is a dietitian and I'm also seing a Behavior Science consultant to see what else I can do. I work out everyday 30-45 mins, run at least 5 miles a week, I've also done a work out regimen on a game for my 360 console. I'm doing everything that I can be able to lose this weight. If I wasn't worried about being weighed in and what not and being in the military, I would be a lot less stressed about this. I can't waste time on 1-2 pounds a week, I need to lose 10 pounds a week to reach where I need to be, otherwise, I'm joining the millions of people without jobs or medical benefits for my family.

I've thought about taking supplements that would boost my metabolism or fat burning but I don't know what's good. I'm losing hope.......and I have no idea what I can do now.

For those who struggled but found a way to get the weight off fast, please give me some advice; I'm at my wit's end

Replies

• maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    please re check you calorie calculation, it can be wrong, and maybe you can do some small things which effect your results, supplement are NOT essential

please feel free to ask me some straight forward question that you guess it is the reason it give you hard time losing weight
  • aadutton
    Options
    I've been losing weight since the birth of my son in August. I've lost a total of 53 pounds and I'm currently at a plateau that has lasted for 3 weeks. I really have no idea as to why---well, since I am broke half of time, taking care of my family and a 3 and a half old son. I have bills to worry about, like everyone else and majority of the bills eat my money. I don't have much money to go out and buy loads and loads of tasty healthy food. I'm on WIC and only get a set amount of stuff. I mean I do my best with what I have. I portion out my foods, I drink water and black coffee only (no sodas), I do have a piece of chocolate once in a while but not on a regular basis. My calorie intake is small yes, but what can I do when there's no money to buy any food to increase it?
    I've also been working out for about 3 months now; I've done several things like, biking, eliptical, walking, jogging, running. I've even talked to a trainer who said that weight training will help me boost my weight loss. Well...I've been doing this for some time now and I feel that nothing is happening. I'm starting to get discouraged and frustrated or the fact.

Did I also mention I'm in the military? Usually at my rate of losing a pound or two a week is a great thing for long-term weight loss, but I need to be in a regulation weight by March.....that's a little over 3 months away; I'm still 26 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight and then another 20 pounds to get into regulation weight; so basically almost 50 pounds to still lose. If I can't lose my weight I'll be kicked out of the military before I can even prove I can still do my physical fitness test. I've recruitted the help of my sister-in-law who is a dietitian and I'm also seing a Behavior Science consultant to see what else I can do. I work out everyday 30-45 mins, run at least 5 miles a week, I've also done a work out regimen on a game for my 360 console. I'm doing everything that I can be able to lose this weight. If I wasn't worried about being weighed in and what not and being in the military, I would be a lot less stressed about this. I can't waste time on 1-2 pounds a week, I need to lose 10 pounds a week to reach where I need to be, otherwise, I'm joining the millions of people without jobs or medical benefits for my family.

I've thought about taking supplements that would boost my metabolism or fat burning but I don't know what's good. I'm losing hope.......and I have no idea what I can do now.

For those who struggled but found a way to get the weight off fast, please give me some advice; I'm at my wit's end

sorry, the first part about how you have no money for food and are on WIC plus the second part about trainers, behavior science consultants, workout machines, and 360 game consoles leaves me shaking my head too much to put any real effort into suggestions or ideas. good luck to you though.
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options

sorry, the first part about how you have no money for food and are on WIC plus the second part about trainers, behavior science consultants, workout machines, and 360 game consoles leaves me shaking my head too much to put any real effort into suggestions or ideas. good luck to you though.

Might be money well spent if this is for her job.
  • aadutton
    Options

Might be money well spent if this is for her job.

good point. wish my job required an xbox. but the other stuff, you do have a point.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You might want to recalculate your numbers every 10 pounds of loss. Your caloric needs change as your body composition changes. The more you add lean muscle the more you will need to eat to maintain a healthy metabolism.

It doesn't take money to lose weight. It takes a calculator and time.

READ THIS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is available in your area, but Second Harvest Food bank gives out truckloads of free produce in my area. You must call ahead and register, they will let you know when and where the next one is. You need ID and a bill or something with your name and current address. You have to get there at least an hour early and wait in line a long time (bundle up and bring a book) But they give you CRAZY amounts of veggies, You'll need a team of people to carry your bags/boxes, or a cart. It may not be what you would LIKE to buy, but if you have no money, its the only way I know to get the veggies needed to be healthy. This is the site for my county in CA. http://www.shfb.org/
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It might help to have your diary open. Sometimes what you think is healthy or reasonable isn't. Maybe if people could see your food choices and give suggestions that might help. Also, it saddens me that someone working for the military is on WIC. How horrible...but since you are strapped, limit eating out-portion control is hard, they cook everything in butter or fry it and it cost so much more! Also limit packages of processed food, really they cost more than most fresh items out there.
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    Have you talked to your First Sgt about this? When I was in the AF, I was responsible for doing the fat taping and saw a LOT of moms who are in your current situation. I don't know if things have changed since then, but we also had nutritional consults for those who were struggling and our first shirts were usually helpful with resources. There might even be a way to get an exemption, wavier or a deferment if you can show that you are making SOME progress.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you live on or near a base, but the produce at our commissary (and the groceries from there in general) cost a lot less than other stores. I can get bags of frozen veggies for about $1 a bag. The meat is also a lot cheaper too.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options

• cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is available in your area, but Second Harvest Food bank gives out truckloads of free produce in my area. You must call ahead and register, they will let you know when and where the next one is. You need ID and a bill or something with your name and current address. You have to get there at least an hour early and wait in line a long time (bundle up and bring a book) But they give you CRAZY amounts of veggies, You'll need a team of people to carry your bags/boxes, or a cart. It may not be what you would LIKE to buy, but if you have no money, its the only way I know to get the veggies needed to be healthy. This is the site for my county in CA. http://www.shfb.org/

That is fantastic! I live in Australia and I dont believe we have anything like that offered! And it is so sad to see all that food wasted
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    Somethings just a little fishy here. "I really have no idea as to why---well, since I am broke half of time, taking care of my family and a 3 and a half old son." Is you're son not part of your family? And what does your family consist of? Are you the only one working, and why bring up that you're in the military? If you're getting WIC, then, you're getting food stamps, how much are you getting? I've never met someone whis is in the military that had any trouble providing for their family. Where is the bike and elliptical, in your house or at a gym? Why have a behavior science consultant if you can't even afford food? You have kids, so food should be your first priority, I hope your children aren't going hungry. Why not pawn the Xbox and games to have money for food. If you're for real, then your priorities are all out of wack. But like I said, i've never met someone in the military that couldn't provide the bare essentials for their family.

Then you have never been in the military, have you?
    You have NO IDEA how hard it can be to provide for a family on the pittance you get paid. It's none of your business if she is getting assistance and in what form, and telling her to pawn her belongings is way out of line.
    You have a military member asking for your help and all you can do is mock her? Shame on you. Support your troops.
  • parmeisan
    parmeisan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume that the workout machines, the consultation and the trainer were all paid? I got the impression that they were not. Even the XBox might have been a gift.

If you're really struggling to hit the calories, ie not eating enough, that really can make a big difference. I'm not going to repeat all the science, but your body will compensate for the lack, and losing weight gets harder. As crazy as it sounds, if you really can't eat enough, then it may be that working out so much is hurting the weight loss? If you want to eat between, say, 1200 and 1500 calories a day and you're only eating 800, then exercising off another 100 calories could be bad.

You really need to find a way to eat the right number of calories. Do the math again and make sure you know what you need to hit, then figure out the cheapest way to do it. Any kind of butter, oil, cheese, etc packs a lot of calories, and veggies pack very few - but the former has no nutrients and the latter plenty. Don't lose your nutrients. Maybe you can get some lentils or chickpeas for cheap? Those are good for a lot of reasons.

Hopefully there are some others with better advice on which foods are best for the lowest price, because I think that's where you need to focus.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Somethings just a little fishy here. "I really have no idea as to why---well, since I am broke half of time, taking care of my family and a 3 and a half old son." Is you're son not part of your family? And what does your family consist of? Are you the only one working, and why bring up that you're in the military? If you're getting WIC, then, you're getting food stamps, how much are you getting? I've never met someone whis is in the military that had any trouble providing for their family. Where is the bike and elliptical, in your house or at a gym? Why have a behavior science consultant if you can't even afford food? You have kids, so food should be your first priority, I hope your children aren't going hungry. Why not pawn the Xbox and games to have money for food. If you're for real, then your priorities are all out of wack. But like I said, i've never met someone in the military that couldn't provide the bare essentials for their family.

Sadly, there are a lot of people in the military who are on WIC. Not sure if it's just poor money management or what.

I don't know how it is for her or where she's stationed, but the gym I go to is on base and it's free for military and dependents and they have fitness classes, treadmills, ellipticals and weights. Pretty fully loaded.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What does your dietician say about you wanting to lose 10 pounds a week? Does she consider it safe to lose so much so quickly? I'm no expert, but it doesn't sound safe to me. Try not to look too far ahead -- set mini-goals -- focus on losing the weight and gaining back the endurance you need to keep from being "kicked out". As you lose weight and gain strength the exercise will get easier and then you can set the next mini-goal.

Are you living on or near the military base? If so, continue to take advantage of all the services provided to you as a member of the military: free access to cardio and weight machines, personal trainers, and fitness classes. Can you get free/cheap meals at the base cafeteria or exchange (not McDonald's)?

Good luck, and thank you for your service!
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options

I think, judging by a previous post on another thread, the behavioural scientist and dietitian is paid for by the military.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but losing 10 pounds a week is severely unrealistic, unless you are 1000 pounds or something. But then you would be more than 50 pounds away from the regulation weight for the military. Resign yourself to that now, it's not going to happen.

Everyone hits a stall in their weight loss. I've only lost 3 pounds in the last 7 weeks and it's driving me mad because I should be losing 1.5 - 2 pounds a week. It's normal and you have to expect it. There are things you can try, but they've never really worked for me. Just have to keep doing what you know is right and ride it out.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options

You have NO IDEA how hard it can be to provide for a family on the pittance you get paid. It's none of your business if she is getting assistance and in what form, and telling her to pawn her belongings is way out of line.
    You have a military member asking for your help and all you can do is mock her? Shame on you. Support your troops.
    You're right, I have NO IDEA. I live in a neighborhood with 2 retired and three active military personel, as well as my grandfather served in the airforce. But I have NO IDEA. My neighbor (active duty marine) bought his daughter a brand new 2012 Camaro Z28 for her 16th birthday. Just returned home from Afghanistan two weeks ago and bought his wife a new Avalanche. I have another neighbor (Army Ranger) who just took his family to Rome while on leave. All drive nice cars, live in nice houses, and have families. But, yeah, I HAVE NO IDEA. Just saying, if she's lives on Base, then true, the gym, councelors, etc would be free, then why doesn't she have food? If not living on base, then spending money on the gym and exercise equipment while going hungry is counterproductive. But wouldn't it really piss you off if she was fake, never came back on here, and only used being in the military to get pitty like many do?
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I've talked to my CMC (Command Master Chief) and he mentioned some pointers for me. i've set up a dietitian consultant and a behavior science consult with a CMR (Commander) but that isn't until next week. My CMC suggested me to go with theses options so if (i hope it doesn't happen) that if I didn't lose the weight that I would have a paper trail in my medical record to show that I was trying even though I didn't lose all the weight; if that were to happen the CO could look at that and see that I was having a very difficult time in losing weight and overturn a failed PFA.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    good point. wish my job required an xbox. but the other stuff, you do have a point.

You realize the original xbox came out in like 2005 right? I mean, it is feasible that someone might have had money to spend on a family xmas gift in 2005 and maybe JUST MAYBE 7 years later they don't have extra money?
    You're right, I have NO IDEA. I live in a neighborhood with 2 retired and three active military personel, as well as my grandfather served in the airforce. But I have NO IDEA. My neighbor (active duty marine) bought his daughter a brand new 2012 Camaro Z28 for her 16th birthday. Just returned home from Afghanistan two weeks ago and bought his wife a new Avalanche. I have another neighbor (Army Ranger) who just took his family to Rome while on leave. All drive nice cars, live in nice houses, and have families. But, yeah, I HAVE NO IDEA. Just saying, if she's lives on Base, then true, the gym, councelors, etc would be free, then why doesn't she have food? If not living on base, then spending money on the gym and exercise equipment while going hungry is counterproductive. But wouldn't it really piss you off if she was fake, never came back on here, and only used being in the military to get pitty like many do?

You don't know how much of your neighbor's seemingly great financial life is actually funded by debt. Or what circumstances might be different. Military is like anything else. Pay can be great if you have the right education/years of service etc, pay is not so great for many of those in lower ranks. I don't think she's saying she doesn't have money for food. I think she's saying it's hard for her to always get lots of fresh produce and stay within budget. There are ways to make it work, but comparing her to a bunch of your neighbors probably isn't going to help her, now is it?

Also your neighbor that bought their 16 year old a Z28 Camaro is a f@#$ing idiot. I don't care whether or not they could afford it. Buying a 16 y/o a brand new top of the line sports car is a quick route towards that kid being spoiled and not having to work for nice things. I hope the kid gets a pricey private school education and becomes an investment banker because if they say, went and joined the military after high school, that sort of difference of how hard it is to work for things/afford things would just about slap them in the face. </siderant>