Notice when eating too few calories

Options
Okay, so I just accidentally completed my entry for today instead of yesterday and this is the notice I got. I'd never seen that before, and I know on this forum there is a lot of discussion about this. Very interesting.

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Touchy touchy! lol How many calories were logged? I'm curious.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your question?
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    If you log less than 1200, it will give you that message. In my experience, anyway. I try to eat all of those 1200 on nonworkout days and then on workout days I am ok with not eating every single calorie, but pretty close :-)
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    MFP's default setting is to not encourage people to eat less than 1200 so it gives you a heads up when you're logging less then the recommended daily healthy amount. :)
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm sorry if this was confusing...I didn't have a question, just thought that maybe others would like to know that there is a notice since I see so many controversial topics about eating all your calories and being under for the day. I had just completed my breakfast and lunch so only about 650 calories were logged.
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've never not seen it, what does it say when you log over 1200?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I have seen it several times as I used to struggle to eat 1200 calories, but now I have it nailed. I tend to go just over by a few and then work out enough to 'buy' the calories.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It appears if you have eaten less than 1200 calories that day. I have gotten it a couple of times. Then I have a glass of milk or piece of cheese then add that.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've never not seen it, what does it say when you log over 1200?

how much you will weigh in 5 weeks time
  • mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i see that daily, as i only eat between 950-1150 calories a day. it also tells me ill be insanely skinny in 5 weeks. one can only hope
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It says you will be insanely skinny but if your body gets the idea you're going to starve it, it will hold on to that fat. Well mine does anyway. Don't know about anyone else's.
  • demma1961
    Options
    I'm finding that I too eat way less than my calorie intake recommends, and I'm finding that I haven't lost any weight in 6 days. I started my diet 2 weeks ago, and lost weight in the first week, but now at a stand still. Most of the time I am over on the protien intake. I need help but don't know where to start.
    Thx, DE
  • mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    some days im way under, some days im right on. i just listen to my body... i eat when im hungry, and dont eat when i dont want to. if im craving something salty, i eat salty, etc. its all about balance.. i never eat my exercise calories, and i consistantly lose each week.
  • michellejayne
    Options
    i always eat my 1300 calories and if i go over i work out enough to be under, exercise calories i always eat at least half back and have lost 1-1.5 lbs a week, i know my dietician at our local hospital changed my settings a bit so i get a little lets carbs and a bit more protein, but everyone is different and you need to find your own balance!!! A key to balancing metabolism is to drink lots of water and make sure to thrown in a few small healthy snacks throughout the day!!!
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm finding that I too eat way less than my calorie intake recommends, and I'm finding that I haven't lost any weight in 6 days. I started my diet 2 weeks ago, and lost weight in the first week, but now at a stand still. Most of the time I am over on the protien intake. I need help but don't know where to start.
    Thx, DE

I'm definitely not the one to help you on this, but didn't want to leave you hanging. From reading around these discussion boards I hear about a thing called "starvation mode". Basically the idea is that if you are eating too little your body goes into this mode as a survival technique. It won't let you lose weight because it's trying to keep you alive! It's interesting, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'd definitely make sure you are eating all your allotted calories if I were you! Hope that Helps!
  • trinaswalker
    Options
    eat a hard boiled egg