Salad dressing

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I have been craving salads just non stop. I however haven't been eating the best on salad dressing. Im use to eating Ranch. If there any recipes that you guys can give me that tastes good and low in calories.

thank you

Replies

• AlyssaStarr
    Options
    Try the Bolthouse Farms brand, they use their dressings with yogurt so they are lower in calories!
  • goodigirl2
    goodigirl2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Safeway also makes a Ranch with yogurt under their Eating Right brand. It tastes much better than most low-fat ranch dressings, and has around 60 cal/6 g fat.

Also, I've heard that mixing the packets of ranch dip mix with yogurt makes a delicious dressing. I've only done this with low-fat sour cream to make a ranch dip.
  • mocorbin
    mocorbin Posts: 24
    Options
    I am in the same boat.... love salads but can't get used to any other drsg besides ranch. I just use a half serving and it is just enough for a BIG bowl full of romaine. My brother told me he thins his ranch down with some skim milk so it is less calories. We don't have a safeway around here but would like to try goodgirls suggestion about making drsg with yogurt.
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    Hidden Valley makes a dry mix that you can add anything you like to it: lite mayo, yogurt, buttermilk, etc.
  • smilogirl
    smilogirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, and a little dijon mustard for emulsification, and my own seasonings (garlic, shallots, basil, parsley, pepper, a little salt) I make it a little at a time... and I love it. Jacques Pepin (french chef with Julia Child) recommends 4 parts olive oil to one part lemon juice.

we have a meyer's lemon bush in our yard, and I always have lots of fresh lemons
  • smilogirl
    smilogirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    you can replace sour cream with buttermilk or yogurt in many recipes for a lowfat choice.
    I find the trouble with low fat ingredients like sour cream, too much sugar and sodium... and I just don't like the taste.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I make my own ranch dressing seasoning - it is much cheaper than the packets. Then I add it to buttermilk and olive oil mayo. Much better for you, and I actually prefer it. If anyone wants the seasoning recipe, message me. Here's to smart choices!
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I love Wishbone Salad Spritzers - they even make a ranch that's not too bad. My favorite though is the Italian.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Red Wine Vinegar and B&G Hot Toppers
    Zero Calories!
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is not a suggestion for an alternative dressing, but a suggestion on how to eat less of the one you love. :smile:

Back when I was doing a weight-loss program called First Place, one of their recommendations was to put one tablespoon of dressing ~ actually measure it out ~ in a little cup on the side of your plate (we use medicine cups, LOL). Rather than squirting dressing all over your salad, which usually takes you over the typical two tablespoon serving size, dip just the tines of your fork in the dressing and then spear a bite of salad. This way, you get a reasonable taste of dressing on every bite of salad without consuming near the amount you normally would. When I do this, I eat one tablespoon or less of the dressings I love. That makes me VERY happy! :happy:

HTH ~ :flowerforyou:
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Ok, I know it isn't *great*, but I haven't been able to find a good super-low calorie ranch dressing. I use this brand called Naturally Fresh fat free ranch. I think it tastes exactly like the real stuff. It is 90 cal for 2 Tablespoons so it is better than the real stuff, and like I said, I think it tastes the same.
    I've been putting it on my turkey sandwiches, dip for veggies, and on salads. Yummmmmm
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm a Salad Spritzer girl...but a Blue Cheese fan at heart....
  • BrittneyIU08
    Options
    I used to only use ranch but now I can't stand it. I love Newman's Light Balsamic... you should try it :-) I'm also a fan of the salad spritzers.
  • morkia
    morkia Posts: 3
    Options
    Try olive oil and vinegar or just use lemon juice. If you like a creamy dressing I can suggest to use fat free greek yogurt mixed with a little garlic and minced cucumber. I personnaly use aromatic vinegar.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Sesame Ginger mmmmmmmmmmm
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    instead of salad dressing I really like to mix a little bit of light mayo and sweet relsih mixed in with a serving of tuna or some chopped chicken I think a serving of light mayo is around 45 cals? although I'm not 100% sure...Even then I dont like to put too much mayo in ...I usually just use have a serving the sweet relish and salt and pepper...then Mix it in with the salad :bigsmile: I <3 it ...