Planned cheat day to 3 day binge

I'm really disappointed in myself and it seems like no one else understands what happened and why it is so bad. I was 4 lbs away from reaching my UGW and instead of losing 1 lb this week .... I've gained a lb. Why? Because instead of my planned cheat day being just one day, two days later I binged at night and also binged the following night. Saturday, I was 139 lbs and this morning I weighed myself and I'm now 140 lbs. I'm so upset :(

Did I really gain a lb? Could I have possibly eaten that much over to gain a lb? My family members and my fiance keep trying to tell me it isn't a big deal and it's only a lb. But to me it is a big deal... it took a whole week to lose that lb, and now a whole week was thrown down the drain. Am I overreacting?

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    I don't know how much you overate. It could be a real pound or it could be water retention if you ate foods higher in sodium during your binge. I think you're over reacting. It's just a pound so just get back on the wagon. You got this!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 402 Member
    Probably a lot of sodium. Just drink lots of water and weigh yourself next week. Don't sweat the small stuff. I know how important it is to see that number go down but really give it some time to get out of your system. Unless you ate like a half a cow, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    You could have, but probably didn't. And if you did... ok, yes, you've set yourself back a week. Did the doctor only give you a month to live? It really is just a week, you're (hopefully!) going to have lots of them, so no, you shouldn't sweat it.

Remember that even once you hit your GW, you're going to have to deal with maintenance - there's never a point where you get to just eat whatever every day and it doesn't matter because you're a "skinny person" now. Eating more than you planned to is a thing that happens, so better to get a handle on how to relax and tackle it realistically now when you're motivated than later when you feel like you "shouldn't have to" put so much work into it.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Just accept that it happened and move on. Get back to eating and exercising properly and this week will be just a bad memory. No point beating yourself up over it. We all have bad days or weeks.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Easiest way to limit binging is to have a limited amount of unhealthy food in your house. Planning to gorge on chips and ice cream? Buy a reasonable sized bag, and a pint. Not the family size and a gallon. Tasty food sitting around your house = nom nom nom.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Yes, you are overreacting. Just don't make a habit of it. And I agree with the person who says you are going to have to learn how to deal with eating at maintenance.
  • You could have, but probably didn't. And if you did... ok, yes, you've set yourself back a week. Did the doctor only give you a month to live? It really is just a week, you're (hopefully!) going to have lots of them, so no, you shouldn't sweat it.

Remember that even once you hit your GW, you're going to have to deal with maintenance - there's never a point where you get to just eat whatever every day and it doesn't matter because you're a "skinny person" now. Eating more than you planned to is a thing that happens, so better to get a handle on how to relax and tackle it realistically now when you're motivated than later when you feel like you "shouldn't have to" put so much work into it.

This is a very good point, thank you. It's really something that I need to work on, especially since maintenance is right around the corner. I better shape it up now.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I don't really understand having a "cheat day" and you've illustrated why. Except for me, if I "cheat" I usually don't get back on track for years. So, you do far better than I and perhaps a "cheat day" is ok for you.

This time, when I decided to change my lifestyle I did it for my health, not weight loss. I was literally killing myself with "food". I have come to accept that I have to eat how I am eating now for the rest of my life. So I have found a way of eating that has resolved my health issues and that I can maintain forever. Not that I won't ever vary off the path a bit here and there, but allowing myself licence to go crazy for even one whole day just isn't worth it. I'm sure others have more self-control; I do not.
  • I don't really understand having a "cheat day" and you've illustrated why. Except for me, if I "cheat" I usually don't get back on track for years. So, you do far better than I and perhaps a "cheat day" is ok for you.

This time, when I decided to change my lifestyle I did it for my health, not weight loss. I was literally killing myself with "food". I have come to accept that I have to eat how I am eating now for the rest of my life. So I have found a way of eating that has resolved my health issues and that I can maintain forever. Not that I won't ever vary off the path a bit here and there, but allowing myself licence to go crazy for even one whole day just isn't worth it. I'm sure others have more self-control; I do not.

Well usually when I do a cheat day, it's more of a treat day. Meaning I get to have a nice piece of chocolate cake and not worry about it or a cheeseburger or something. But this time, I went overboard and ate out at a restaurant with out worrying what I was eating. Something must have switched off that day, idk what happened. I don't usually do it like that.
  • if you have a history of binging do NOT give yourself a cheat day. everyday should have a bit of "Cheat" in it because it's realistic. life is spontaneous and will toss random hershey kisses and oreos at you. if you allow yourself everyday to have number of calories for a less healthy food, you're increasing your chances of success because that is something you should do for LIFE.

it's hard for dieters cuz we have the black and white thinking but eating habits and exercise and relationships and school are all GREY matter.