How often do you weigh?

Options
Sorry, this has probably been asked here a million times, but it's my first post. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the scale. I was also a scale addict! If I didn't weigh every day, I would tend to get in the mindset of "what I don't know won't hurt me" and by the time I'd finally step back on the scale again, I'd be up several lbs. Because of this, I was religious about weighing in each day and letting the number on the scale determine my mood for that morning.

A few weeks ago I decided to get serious about my diet (sigh, again). I also moved into a new home and the scale was packed away among what felt like hundreds of boxes. So, I've been dieting along the past few weeks and actually staying on track this time. At first it killed me not to be able to weigh, but when I finally found the scale among the sea of boxes last night, I couldn't bring myself to step on it. Now I'm almost afraid I'll be disappointed when I do and I will lose motivation (ie: maybe I haven't lost as much as I thought or what if I've gained?!?!). My clothes are feeling looser though so I feel I'm heading in the right direction (or maybe my jeans just need washed, :indifferent: kidding!). I think I'm going to try not weighing for a while and see what happens. As long as I stay on track with my diet/exercise goals, I figure I should be okay and maybe will be in for a pleasant surprise when I do finally weigh again.

What kind of relationship do you have with your scale? What's the reasoning behind it?

Replies

• GrandfatherOak
    GrandfatherOak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always try to weigh myself once a week at the same time of day, I don't want to be too crazy about it and weigh every day because that can get discouraging considering your weight fluctuates a bit day to day.
  • JPG1313
    Options
    I weigh every morning when I get home from work.
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Every morning, after a wee and naked (before I hop in the shower). I keep it consistent, that way I can track what foods etc are making me bloat or effect me the next day. :)
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sunday morning before breakfast is the one that counts. Mid week to see how im going but i dont count it as official.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    fridays at roughly 1 in the afternoon
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Friday mornings before I do anything are my weight in times. Everyday is just a bit over the top for me. Keep in mind that your weight loss will not be linear...just because it says 1 Lb per week or 2 Lb or whatever...it's not linear, it's an average over a much longer period of time. I have some weeks that I see maybe just a couple of points change...then the next week will be like 1.5 Lbs...then the next a Lb...then the next just a couple points again, etc. Just don't get discouraged and keep the big picture in mind. A day, week, etc is pretty trivial to the global scope.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First thing each morning after I evacuate. If I eat a lot of sodium (sushi, soup, ravioli, etc.) the day before, I'll wait a few days before weighing. If you weigh yourself daily, I recommend only weighing yourself once per day as your weight can increase throughout the day and never weigh yourself right after exercising as your weight loss will be due to temporarily losing water weight.
  • trainingdirty
    trainingdirty Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ahhh i feel the same! i'm always super scared to step on the scale after a while without weighing in, because i get discouraged so easily!
    i'd like to start weighing myself every day again, but i'm still nervous to get on!
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a scale addict. I weigh myself every single day I just can't help myself, but I only log my weight on here once a week. I also take measurements.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It works for me. I don't let the fluctuation of one or two pounds get me down because that's normal. If the scale is up more than two...then it gets me to focus!! I don't think I'm obsessed...I'm just at my goal and happy to be there. I want to maintain this weight and seeing that number on the scale reminds me that I'm there and I don't want to go back to where I came from! :) It's a personal choice..whatever makes you feel good!!
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    maybe once a week, i only gain weight so its pointless for me,,

and im not complaining, just proving that muscle weighs more then fat and with 17%bf i dont care if i gain as long at my bf% stays the same or goes lower
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm ShineLikeVegas and I'm a scale addict! LOL

I tend to weigh every day just to make sure I'm on track and to make sure I don't let myself get away with eating junk or not exercising. I only count weight loss or gain once a week though.
  • horselady34
    horselady34 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do every morning unless I have my TOM and after thats over I'll start again..
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see my doctor! lol I always hop on his scale and turn it on while I'm waiting to see him. It unfortunately only gives me a general idea of where I'm going, and I haven't been able to see him in some time now.
    We, my mother and I, have never owned a scale. We don't even have a thermometer anymore! I intend on purchasing one as soon as I get a job and some extra cash flow.

Actually does anyone have any suggestions for a good but cheap scale? I'd prefer not to go over $30 minus .12HST tax.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every couple of months at the local mall where there is a pay scale. I don't own a scale - never have owned one as long as I've lived on my own. To me, a scale is just a torture device that only tells one part of the overall picture.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What kind of relationship do you have with your scale? What's the reasoning behind it?

Just purchased one for the first time a month or two ago - previous to that I had used the one at the doctors or the gym. I think bust/hip/waist measurements and how clothes fit is a better indicator.

The main reason I bought one was because I had to weigh my dogs regularly (because they were putting on alarming amounts of weight - a couple of months of me weighing their food exactly and they have lost it all).

Generally I seriously weigh myself once a week at the same time. It is interesting to see how much it fluctuates over a month - up to about 4kg.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - after my morning gym session. It only counts on Saturdays though. I only log my weight once a week even though I check it daily. Morbid curiosity to see how my weight fluctuates depending on what I eat and how much I work out I guess.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Every day, and I log all losses, even if I know it's going to go back up. I weigh in the morning right after I get up.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every morning, just out of curiosity. I don't officially record my weight except for once every two weeks.