metformin

Options
anyone on here take metformin? How long do you feel sick?

Replies

• DEBDOUGLAS
    Options
    Ive been on it before, How much are you taking? If you are taking more than 600mg a day you will feel sick for awhile. Sorry:cry: Some people feel sick all the time. You can ask your doctor to maybe put you on a time release and maybe that would help. Good luck.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I take mefformin, and I don't ever feel sick. I have been taking it since December 2007.
  • htaylor12
    htaylor12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started taking it about a month ago and I felt sick for probably three weeks till I told my doctor and she is having me go off of it for a week or so to see if that is the cause.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I take 1500mg per day. One pill is 500mg. I take one in the morning and two in the evening.
  • akgrant
    akgrant Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My mom took metformin and was sick for almost 3 weeks. Her doctor took her off of it and put her back on glyburide and just increased the mg. That seem to do the trick. Hope you feel better soon!
  • vanessasee
    Options
    i'm taking metformin for my pcos for a month now and I had diarrhea for 3-5 days. after that I don't feel anything bad at all.
  • angelwife27
    Options
    I've been taking metformin since 2000. My doctor gradually increased the dose during the first 6 weeks. I felt sick for about the first 3 weeks. I had to learn what food combinations caused the worst side effects. I've noticed that if I take it with a high-carb meal, like spaghetti, I still get diarrhea. It can be a great help once you get used to the dose. Good Luck!
  • candacepainter
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. My doctor put me on 500 mg three times a day for my pcos in the hopes I will get pregnant! So I'm crossing my fingers it will work. Right now I'm just taking one pill at night then after seven days i will take it at breakfast and supper and then after seven days of that i will take it breakfast, lunch and supper.
  • candacepainter
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. My doctor put me on 500 mg three times a day for my pcos in the hopes I will get pregnant! So I'm crossing my fingers it will work. Right now I'm just taking one pill at night then after seven days i will take it at breakfast and supper and then after seven days of that i will take it breakfast, lunch and supper.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I take it. I was sick at first, but adjusted my diet and now I have no probs. Coffee and cheese seemed to be the culprits. I tracked my symptoms as they occurred in a journal with my food. Best thing I could have done, honestly.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I take it, and have about 2,000 mg a day (two 500's in the morning, 2 at night). Have never felt sick on it. I also take insulin.
  • Alexis1227
    Options
    I've been on it for 4 years. 1500mg. I never got sick on it. I do however get crazy diarhea (TMI) if I eat a lot of junk/sugary foods.
    I take 1 pill in the morning with breakfast and 2 at bedtime.