ultra low calorie diets - how do you cope

Options

Replies

• firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Lyle Mcdonald also has the book Rapid Fat Loss which is similar to what your diet.
    He also allow one free meal a week. It would help you stick your diet, take a break for diet mentality
    and it also helps regulate hormone. A few people would event lose weight after a free meal.
    I suggest that you do reseach on that book.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The doctors dont really care... they just give you pills for your "mood issues" then they tell you to stop eating crap... ooh so helpful doc, thanks...

well im not taking the pills anymore, and im gonna stop eating crap, and everything else. ive got what, 150lbs of fat, thats 150 days of calories inside me right now. so 6 months from now ill be 150lbs lighter.

david blaine didnt eat for 40 something days and he was fine after
    annorexics drag it out for years before they get so boney people notice.

so why cant i take 6 months off from food.

Because even under close supervision of a doctor, it's dangerous, and without supervision, it's dangerous and stupid. That's why.
  • spirit1st
    spirit1st Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too find it easier to drop the tonage on a very low calorie diet. I eat under 1000 per day and am not hungry. I'm on a specific diet called Ideal Protein . Have you heard of Walden Farms? They have a wide variety of 0 card,0sugar,0fat items. Salad dressings, marinades, jam, syrup, etc. I use chocolate syrup with my vanilla protein shake. I use 1/2 the water suggested, shake it up and put in the freezer for about 10 mins or so. Then it top it with the chocolate or strawberry syrup and it satisfies my sweet tooth. It works with chocolate protein shake mix as well. I hear they have a great Alfredo sauce but I haven't tryed it yet. Good luck!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    im only going to be doing it for a few weeks at a time, alternating almost starvation with regular (not gluttonous) eating.

the reason being i believe it to be the most natural way to convince your body that food supplies are limited and you should be burning fat,

i also do cardio and strength training to keep up the muscle mass (as if i was still out there hunting for food, but just being unsuccesful) i also switch from meat products to vegetable products to again trick my body into thinking i cant catch anything.

my only problem is that i crave the carbs.

i dont want advice on my diet not being suitable, i have spoken to my doctor and she is ok with it as long as i monitor myself for signs of kidney or liver issues and only for a maximum of 4 weeks at a time.

this way i lose 5-8 lbs per week (based on my last loss) for 4 weeks, then maintain and build strength (during which time i lost a good few inches off my waist) before going back into a fat burning cycle.

i just want to know how to not crave carbs

or if i cant not crave carbs then ill just stay too busy and not eat at all and starve myself 100% for 3 days out of 7

constructive advice withdrawn. OP has deactivated.

:huh:
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    how about you guys look at my join date... for over a year i was religiously eating healthy, and less than 2000 calories, and it did **** all difference..

i starve myself one time, i lose 25 lbs...

look, i asked a specific question, then i specified i dont want to hear your opinions on what is or is not healthy.

bear in mind that my doctor, who has seen my entire medical file, has recommended this diet due to genetic problems of which you lot are unaware.

so either answer my question as asked or politely dont answer at all.

and im not being moody or grouchy, its just that while for you all, those higher lower rate burns work for you. they do not work for me, they didnt work for me when i followed the weight watchers diet, they didnt work on a calorie controlled, nurse supervised, eat what your told and nothing else do not deviate diet.

this works.

i asked for help

you all but shot me down for daring.

its not one rule for all you know.

Dude, I hear ya. I've had the same problem, and have come to the same solution to the problem. Drop under 1200 cals and BAM weight loss, anything over 1200 I'm stagnant. My doctor perscribed me Phentermine that curbs all my cravings, Been on it for a week and it's been wonderful (hopefuly it stays that way!). It's really the only way I could do it.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    no one likes me anyway so whats the point.
    fat, thin they all hate me.
    ive got no more pills left so now they taunt me.
    they tell me im stupid for not collecting them, call me useless.
    ive taken my photo down and changed my location. you cant find me.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Blimey.

Read that aloud, it almost sounds like a poem.
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WTF just happened on this thread lol.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Well...that escalated quickly.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    OP has deactivated his account. I sure hope he's OK. There are very serious issues so lets hope he gets the help he needs.

I don't believe anybody was out of order, everybody was trying to help with the information they were given.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

i think he felt that a couple of people went after him and he got defensive and deactivated. that's a shame, because if he could have filtered out some of the posts he didn't like, some of us would have been able to reach out to him in a constructive way and given him some sound logical advice that would help him see that the increasing his calories enough to satiate his hunger and alleviate the binges, would have still left him losing weight at a pretty good rate.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well...that escalated quickly.

It jumped up a notch.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Good because I was about to come over there and make you do some barbell complexes until you puked.

Come on man. The point is for you to feel good about yourself, because you freaking deserve it and I guarantee you that you're capable of it.

I'm not buying the nobody likes me everybody hates me business. I don't even know you and I like you enough that I want to push you in the right direction.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    WTF is going on here?

OP, people are trying to help you. Try to listen.

Your sugar cravings are because you're not eating enough carbohydrates as a result of the low calorie diet.

If you want to completely cur carbs, go to keto- that's one option. But the lowish carbs with periodic binge eating is going to have you constantly trapped in that craving cycle. It won't get better. You need to eat more food (resulting in more carbs) or more food and go to keto.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The doctors dont really care... they just give you pills for your "mood issues" then they tell you to stop eating crap... ooh so helpful doc, thanks...

well im not taking the pills anymore, and im gonna stop eating crap, and everything else. ive got what, 150lbs of fat, thats 150 days of calories inside me right now. so 6 months from now ill be 150lbs lighter.

david blaine didnt eat for 40 something days and he was fine after
    annorexics drag it out for years before they get so boney people notice.

so why cant i take 6 months off from food.

Well, for one, anorexia is basically an addiction. You might think you can do this for 6 months or until you get to your "goal weight", but then 170 lbs will become 150 lbs and then 150 lbs will become 130 lbs and then 130 lbs will become 110 lbs and then "oops" you're dead.

Secondly, it's no way to live. I should know. I've struggled with eating disorders/recovery/eating disorders/recovery since childhood. Living your entire life obsessed with food when you could be obsessed with actually accomplishing something worthwhile (degrees, career success, relationship success, etc--believe me, there's no time for all of the above) is pathetic. It sucks.

Finally, your metabolism will catch up with you. You will need to eat less and less to lose weight. The human body is pretty amazing in its way to self-preserve.

I could go on about how ugly and non-glamorous eating disorders are (have you ever had a seizure? I have. I've pissed my pants because I've had seizures--in public--thanks to being thin and glamorous), but none of this is going to convince you because every person with an ED (or drug addiction, etc) thinks they're the one who is invincible.

I hope you will consider getting some help and work on your self esteem.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

whaaaaa?????
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you really want to stop craving the junk, you have to get it out of your system completely. Before going crazy on cutting calories, clean up what you are eating. Eat real food - focus on meat and vegetables. No sodas, no pastries, no pasta, no sugar! If you are craving something sweet or starchy, have a sweet potato. Once you clean up WHAT you are eating and conquer the cravings, then make a reasonable reduction in calories. With the amount you have to lose, cycling short periods of drastic reduction with periods of maintenance is not a bad plan and can work well. The key is short periods and keeping to the same types of food during maintenance just more of them.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

i think a couple of people went after him and he got defensive and deactivated. that's a shame, because if he could have filtered out some of the less helpful posts, some of us would have been able to reach out to him in a constructive way and given him some sound logical advice that would help him see that the increasing his calories enough to satiate his hunger and alleviate the binges, would have still left him losing weight at a pretty good rate.

That was not about his diet at all, he was channelling confusion, hurt, mental issues etc into that topic. He was probably just reaching out for help generally, but this is not the place for the help he actually is in need of.
  • laelafaye
    Options
    Hey, I don't know if you're doing low carb or just low cal. But if you can, look into the Ideal Protein protocol...The calories are around 1000, while still keeping you in your appropriate range of protein to not lose muscle. It will put your body into ketosis, pulling your energy to survive from your fat tanks rather than your muscle ( which is where your body will go first if not redirected by taking in enough protein ). The first week may be rough on cravings but then on out you will not be hungry and you'll eventually stop craving simple sugars. I do this whenever necessary to trim off some weight and my husband just started it too. Men typically lose between 5 and 15 lbs in the first week ( not all fat, mostly glycogen stored in your blood sugar tank). Then each week men typically lose around 3-7 lbs of fat. As for the carb cravings, they suck, I know. But the best way Ive been able to deal with it is just avoiding the kitchen at all cost. After work, its straight upstairs, or straight to the living room. And its even better if you don't have any crap food in the house. Also, if I am craving something really bad, but don't own it, I make it a rule that if I want it I have to walk to get it, walk to the store, not drive, not order pizza, I must walk, just like Laura Ingalls had to walk to school. (Similar to your plan to make your body think you're scavenging for food ). And then typically by the time I'm done hmming and haaing about walking I am done craving it. Best of luck. I know you're just trying to do whats best for you. My mom was a crazy strict dieter, exercised her heart out, but just couldn't lose the weight. The Ideal Protein protocol worked for her because the problem is in the pancreas for her....gotta cut the sugars out to reset the bodies natural functions. Have a good night :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    i dont really get hunger pangs... i trained myself to enjoy those as evidence that im not over eating.

Please seek professional help. This is not a healthy mentality at all. Good luck to you.