You Don't Have to Run to Be Fit...

Options
Or so says Shape Magazine: http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/20-super-fit-chicks-who-dont-run

I know running helped me lose my first 50 lbs or so but I've noticed it wasn't until I started lifting that I started looking and feeling more fit. But I absolutely HAVE to run at least once a week to really feel like I'm doing something.

What's all of your alternatives to running?

-Melissa

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I used to run when i was heavy but due to knee injury could barely walk, so i figured if i lost weight it would be better for my knees.
    Started watching what i eat, stretching every day ( and physio excersizes) ive now lost 13 kgs in a year with almost no movement.
    1/2 way through the year i started twalking, 500m at first then doing two walks a day.
    I'm now up to walking at a leisurly pace for about 2 km before i have to stop. (going ny faster really hurts)
    I'm certainly a lot lighter and have more muscle than at the start of the year nd thre was no running, so yes its possible.
    Running is just one form of cardio there are heaps of others. ( swimming, cycling, lifting, climbing)
    And you can't really compare fitness levels between sports.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I run a couple miles once a week-ish. I ran a half marathon and it made me feel good... but weights are my true love.

I like that crossfit combines speed and weights, so I feel more of a burn but am still working on strength.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. It's obvious when you think about it, there is so much you can do besides running. So many sports, exercises and techniques, running is only one. It's funny though, people do tend to measure a persons fitness by if/when/how far they run...

I've found myself in a few conversations with casual runners and it became obvious that to them, my powerlifting or crossfit achievements meant nothing because I didn't do the boring 5km bridge-to-bridge run that everyone else in town does... oh well, I just nod and smile...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    For cardio I either run, spin/bike, boxing, Plyometrics, or circuit train. There's soooo much you can do to get the heart pumping.

I
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The great thing is next month Shape magazine will have an article saying you can only be fit if you run with flip-flops on. It seems like eventually everything has to be the right thing or wrong thing if you want to fill a magazine once a month.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I did a transformation contest back in May and won it...without doing cardio. I just lifted. That was it. So it works! I used to run...ALOT. I ran so much I was a marathon training coach. But I got burnt out. Nothing wrong with running i that's what one likes.. and to tell you the truth I was SCARED to give it up.

But I never looked better. I finally allowed my muscles time to grow. I always thought I couldn't get muscular. Turns out I was just doing too much cardio in the past and was finally able to get some sexy shoulders. I always was jealous of those women with great upper bodies. Now I have great looking arms!

I focus more on lifting now. Before my workout was 75% cardio and 25% lifting. Now it's about 90% lifting, 10% cardio.( heck, it might even be less cardio than that...lol!)

Right now I do a lil bit of cardio. A little bit. Just a few minutes of kettlebell swings. That's it.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I swim. I think people overlook it a lot as a great form of exercise. When I think of all the body types I desire to look like the most it is always a swimmer's physique.