WOMEN! We actually need more calories during "certain times

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I said the 7 days before your period starts.

Yeah I know you did. Just wanted to emphasize it because I already see people are misunderstanding you.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,

To the original poster, thanks for sharing.....

I often wondered why when it was TOM or just before there are certain days when Im hungry like all the time, I literally cannot stop eating.

I too like you though try and choose healthy things to put in my body or if I have enough calories left over and if I have worked out, then I have 2 squares of good quality dark chocolate-around 20g and that really helps me. I think theres lots of weid things that go on with women's bodies at that time of the month and as long as youre not pigging out on junk food and still eating healthily then adding an extra 100 calories if you really need them doesnt seem to be a bad idea to me.

Keep posting, you will always find people who disagree with what you say on here but thats part of life. I for one am glad of any new articles to read and consider. People dont have to act on them or do as you suggest. Its their choice but its always good to have as much information as possible so that you can make informed choices.

Emma x
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Well, it was 80 calories over what I had planned to eat that day. It was enough to alleviate the hunger and I did not feel guilty after reading that we burn a little more during this time.

Pretty sure I will not be posting anymore on here lol. I am really getting beaten up for sharing.
    Sorry you feel beat up. I don't see that. Disagreement is good. It's how we learn to discern things on our own. Don't take it personally.

I think it's awesome that you treated yourself with greek yogurt and blueberries. I know you may be trying to help. But surely, if you step back and consider the guesswork involved with the whole calories question, you'll see that 1-200 calories is fairly insignificant.

There's just no way to be that accurate with the tools of the average consumer. The calories burned and calories consumed are almost always guesses. We use HRMs, digital food scales, and nutritional labels to make the guesses more accurate. But they are still guesses. I suspect our calorie counts every day could be as much as 1-200 calories off per person, maybe more. And that's with the tools I mention. Certainly that much variance per week.

To me, if you feel the need to eat more - whatever is going on with your body - you should eat more, trying to stay within your macro/calorie goals. If you want to eat 1-200 more food calories, go ahead. If it worries you that you are going over, go for a short brisk walk. You can burn that many calories pretty quickly.

I think your intentions may be good. And I don't want to tell you what to do. But for me - in my opinion - when I see an article that gives people an excuse to eat more, it usually ends up being just that: simply an excuse to eat more. You can find a study or Internet article supporting nearly anything. It doesn't make it science or factual. I'm not convinced we are going to find a way to escape the simple math of calories in/calories burned.

All that to say you are eating good food. Keep doing that! You know how I get extra calories? I exercise.

Please keep posting. Discussion and debate are good.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What I wanted to do was guzzle a bottle hershey's chocolate syrup :)

But the yogurt wound up satisfying me. I am trying really hard not to go over the 1200 calories allotted to me. Even with keeping to it, my weight is not coming off so I can't afford to screw up now. But I felt better knowing I was burning more so I could add something.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanyou for the validation... I have been adding around 100 extra during my period... Poeple use to say I was crazy when I said that I would loose the most weight during my period compared to the rest of the month... I KNEW I WASN"T CRAZY
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The best solution to TOM issues is exercise not eating more. The minimum is a general rule. Our bodies really aren't going to react to 100 extra calories a day or two. It's what the food is 100 calories of chocolate or Greek yogart and blueberries you decide.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Thanyou for the validation... I have been adding around 100 extra during my period... Poeple use to say I was crazy when I said that I would loose the most weight during my period compared to the rest of the month... I KNEW I WASN"T CRAZY

It's not DURING your period that metabolism rises - it's before! Metabolism is actually its lowest from the beginning of your period and for the next week.
    The reason you lose "weight" during your period is because your bloat is reducing as a result of the fall of progesterone.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Thank you! This is sooo good to know!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Interesting and good to know cuz with my TOM comes..I want to eat everything including the front door. I hate that!!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    But I felt better knowing I was burning more so I could add something.
    Use this same logic and burn some calories exercising.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    What I wanted to do was guzzle a bottle hershey's chocolate syrup :)

But the yogurt wound up satisfying me. I am trying really hard not to go over the 1200 calories allotted to me. Even with keeping to it, my weight is not coming off so I can't afford to screw up now. But I felt better knowing I was burning more so I could add something.

Yes, I was teasing! Honestly, I meant no harm.

I just wanted to add, that 1200 calories are not the be-all and end-all, if you know what I mean. When you are hungry you should eat, regardless of the time of the month. Add exercise and EAT THOSE CALS. Personally I think your weight loss is slow because you are only eating 1200 if that is what you are doing. Eat more- lose more, I promise.

Good luck and keep posting. It's important to have a sense of humor around here. Otherwise what's the point?

:flowerforyou:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I get really bad cravings for carbs, chocolate, alcohol (love a brandy & coke) a week before mine. I use diet patches for that week to try and curb the cravings, they have helped and I can control the cravings better, I notice my body temp is higher so I sweat more if I do a workout then, I try and do a few more intense workouts that week to compensate for the cravings before the stomach cramps kick in.

I have noticed as I've got older (now 42) my monthlies are not as heavy and only get about 2 days of bleeding when used to be heavy for the entire week and the cramps were horrendous! Now I only get them the first day it starts and usually a few painkillers keeps it bearable until they wear off.

Will you still burn as many during this time as you get older and they are shorter or hit menopause?
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info...good looking out!
  • cscantlin
    Options
    I also read that you burn extra calories right before ur TOM. I makes sense to me. Your body starts producing extra hormones and doing extra things it normally doesn't do. I find myself wanting to eat everything around me the three days before do I giveyself an extra 100 on those days and I feel I've still been on track. I also think every body is different and even every month can be different and it's important to listen to your own body
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My extra calories are usually ice cream! lol love me some Sweet Frogs!
  • The_Next_Disney_Princess
    Options
    Sorry people are "beating you up", I appreciate the post. Made me feel better about going over by 80 calories lol
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I just feel I can trust my body no matter what time of month it is. There are some days my stomach is in knots and I can't eat much so I don't, and there are other days I am starving and I eat way more than normal. It all seems to even out.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I prefer chocolate. It solves all my problems.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    too bad it makes no difference to my chocolate binges
  • mj05209
    mj05209 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in who sponsored, and conducted those studies. I know we all want the validation that our cravings the week before are justified, but I'm just not sure I trust these studies. I saw no documentation that these were from an actual medial or dietetic sources. Also one of the articles seemed to contradict itself on the message it was trying to convey.