Sports bra issues

Options
Soooo.... I'm kinda poor right now and cant afford those super nice sports bras I hear about all the time. I'm also pretty darn busty and they get in the way when I am trying to do my exercises and it hurts a lot when I jog or do plyometrics. Anyway my question is:

Is there any solution you have come up with for this? Ive tried wearing two sports bras and that doesnt really help. I just want some good compression and support so that i can focus on the workout instead of having to adjust every 10 jumping jacks!

Another question is: what exercises are really beneficial for the pectorals. I do those dumbbell flys and I am working on getting better with pushups. I am just starting out with strength training after being an only-cardio fan for so long.

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I wear a Danskin High Impact bra under a Hanes cotton halter bra. I am D cupped and it gives me the support I need. The Danskin was about $12.00 and a three pack of the Hanes was about $10.00 at Walmart.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Try wearing a regular bra with a sports bra on top instead of two sports bras. Then when you can try and find a high support bra with separate cups. Makes a huge difference!

Bench press is great for your chest :)
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses, i tried wearing a regular bra and a sports bra but i broke the wire and it stabbed into me and hurt ...a lot. :(

i'll look into the danskin. i just bought two from old navy that are very comfortable but not supportive enough
  • acogg
    Options
    Oh, and I bought the Hanes outershell one size too small so that it would hug me closer.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    regular bra under a sports bra. works great for me, and I'm d cup and run. alot.

Two sports bras dont work because theres NO support to begin with..... need the regular supportive underwire, then put a sports bra OVER it! I've been doing this for a LONG time and will continue to do so forever! ;)
  • acogg
    Options
    The Danskin has wire, the Hanes are elasticized cotton with nothing under except an elastic band.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you get what you pay for with sports bras.

those cheapo bras that you have to double are triple up end up being more expensive in the long run than buying 1 good sports bra since you'll have to replace the cheap ones (they'll wear out quicker since they arent made to give larger sizes the correct support ) more often than the higher quality one.

for instance i paid $65 for a enell. a friend of mine wanted to be cheap and bought 2 target bras for $15 a piece. that $30. she's replaced those bras 3 times this year already because bands broke and stretched. that's another $45. 45+30 = 75.

a year later my enell is still good as new. i've only had to get a new one because that one got too large to be considered a high impact bra, it's now a low impact bra. my previous enell (the one i had when i wasnt trying to lose weight) lasted 2 years total and it only got jacked up because i forgot to not put it in the dryer and the hooks got screwed up.

look for moving comfort, under armor, goddess, elomi, chanpion, enell and shock absorber
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    you get what you pay for with sports bras.

those cheapo bras that you have to double are triple up end up being more expensive in the long run than buying 1 good sports bra since you'll have to replace the cheap ones (they'll wear out quicker since they arent made to give larger sizes the correct support ) more often than the higher quality one.

for instance i paid $65 for a enell. a friend of mine wanted to be cheap and bought 2 target bras for $15 a piece. that $30. she's replaced those bras 3 times this year already because bands broke and stretched. that's another $45. 45+30 = 75.

a year later my enell is still good as new. i've only had to get a new one because that one got too large to be considered a high impact bra, it's now a low impact bra. my previous enell (the one i had when i wasnt trying to lose weight) lasted 2 years total and it only got jacked up because i forgot to not put it in the dryer and the hooks got screwed up.

look for moving comfort, under armor, goddess, elomi, chanpion, enell and shock absorber

This, along with what others said! I've been leary about buying the more expensive ones too. Ended up finding a high impact Champion at Target. The black and white ones were around $25(can't remember) but they had some hot pink ones on a clearance rack for $15. Tried it on and did a jumping jack test in the dressing room (I'm a 36DD) and it was great! It fits like a regular bra so I don't have to pull it over my head either, which is super nice!! Bought a couple hot pink ones and later went back for a black one. Have heard great things about Enell, Moving comfort, and Under Armour, but I NEED to try on before I buy. Good luck!
  • acogg
    Options
    I like to stick with the cheap ones because I am losing weight (my Danskin is already too big) and I don't want to invest in something that will be too big very soon. I have no intention of being this size in a year, so that would be out of question for me. I may invest in something more expensive when I feel settled in a new size.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    oh yeah also check your strap size as well.

i've been fooled by a few sports bras that claimed to be for high impact for my size, did a great job at keeping the girls from jiggling, but because the straps weren't thick enough they'd dig into my skin at the shoulder. i wouldnt realize this until after the workout when i got into the shower.

running water on an open wound you're not expecting to have = horrific pain :sad:
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have that same $15 hot pink sports bra but it stains my clothes HORRIBLY when i sweat haha.. so no bright colors for me anymore... I wore it on a hiking trip and my back was all pink, i thought i had some kind of skin condition until i took a shower and the water picked up all the dye
  • kristenanna
    kristenanna Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do they have Bendon outlet stores in the US? This is where I buy my sports bra's either the max out or the extreme out, I am always an odd size (Have gone from a 32F to a 32D) so they are always on special for about $10-$20! Compared to the original price of think $75. (+ these are the best sports bras ever if you do make the investment I would pay full price for these once I am down to a 'normal' size that doesn't come on sale as often!)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I found some cheap but not holding sports bras. They held a little, but not enough to stop them. I use to wear 18 hour bras, and i decided to put one of those under the sports bra. problem fixed
  • foxgl0ve
    foxgl0ve Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I paid about $40 on Amazon for the shock absorber run sports bra. I'm a 38E, and it's the best investment in working out that I've ever made. From jogging to zumba, it is so much more comfortable with a really good bra. I rinse it out as soon as the workout is over, and it is ready to go again.
    I would absolutely recommend it, and it may end up being less expensive than buying several cheap bras that only do half the job.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    Solution, spend the money for a nice bra or two, its really worth it. Think about how often you're in it, and how nice you'd like the girls to look down the road. Just save up a little each month, until then go with what you got. I like shock absorber and they'd be good for someone loosing weight because they are completely adjustable, but its ridiculously expensive, (amazon usually 20 or 30 bucks cheaper but its hard to find the right sizes) Nike has some good compression bras, but you have to be careful because they do the fashion thing too. I personally don't like Moving Comfort, but I know a lot of women who do. I find their attempts at making bras look pretty result in seaming that rubs.
    As for Pec exercises, push-ups, keep working on them, and bench press, you can do it with dumbbells or suck it up and use the real thing.
  • sara6795
    sara6795 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've always worn 4 to 5 sports bras (first two layers a size smaller than usual) and a shelf-tank over. It is annoying and uncomfortable, but they are just too big to contain. I also haven't found a single sports bra that I could wear alone without layering--it doesn't make a different for me between the expensive ones ($60) or the cheap (3 for $10), so I just buy the multi-packs of cheap ones--Oh, and baby powder helps with the sweat! I'm hoping they shrink along with the rest of my body!