Advice

Options
My husband and I are done having children. We have an amazing, sweet little boy, and couldn't be happier. With that being said, my best friend from college is having some fertility problems, and I have been considering donating some eggs. I have done a bit of research, and with the hormone shots, there can be some weight gain. My question is, has anyone gone thru this? Is weight gain a pliable side effect of this?

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    I've never gone through this myself, but I say go for it. You may gain some weight, but you could always lose it later on down the road. Donating some of your eggs would be such a selfless gesture.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, don't let that stop you from helping a friend in such a meaningful and truly selfless way. Kudos to you for even considering it! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • rodeogal1985
    Options
    Pay it fwd right! I know every surgery they give you a mile long list of possible complications. My husband doesn't want me to do it, bc of some of the risks.... but I just want to know what I am getting into before I make the leap :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Sadly I can't donate eggs....:sad:
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work in a fertility center and we have an in-house egg donor program. It's such an awesome thing to do, and you're wonderful for thinking about it!

The shots are one of the biggest drawbacks for donors. They are daily injections and they can cause mood swings and bloating. But honestly, after the egg retrieval, the bloating goes away. We've never had a donor who gained any substantial weight that stuck around. They all report that it's very rewarding, and most donate more than once.

If you're interested in finding out more, contact a local fertility center that has an in-house program and ask for more information. You can also go to eggdonor4u.com and check out the "Becoming a Donor" section - it has a lot of great information.

As for the risks - they are minimal. There has been no evidence of long-term effects on the donor, and the process poses no risk to your own fertility in the future (if you decide you want to try again). The main risk is OHSS (ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome), which is when the follicles they drain basically become full of fluid after the egg retrieval, and you have to go in and have the fluid drained. If your husband is concerned about the risks, you should have him involved in the process so he can see there's really few risks for donors. The egg retrieval is an out-patient surgery where you're under anesthetic for about ten-twenty minutes.

Feel free to send me a message if you'd like more information. Even if you decide not to go forward with donating, I think it's very selfless and awesome that you're even considering it! :)

Take care!