Least busy time of the day at the gym?

My weight loss has been at home over the past year. I bought a gym membership last month to get on track and still havent went. I'm nervous about it to be honest.

When is the least busy time of the day to go usually?

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Early in the mornings or on weekend nights is times I have found to be the least busiest
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    At my 24 Hour Fitness... between midnight at 4:30am.

And yes, from experience.
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Try not to be nervous. Request a coach from the gym to go over each piece of equipment and tour the place to help you feel more comfortable. Perhaps go an hr before the gym closes?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    At my 24 Hour Fitness... between midnight at 4:30am.

And yes, from experience.

yup. bout 1 a.m. is usually mostly empty here. though, I tend to go about 1 p.m. now, and it's not too busy, either.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    I usually go pretty early in the morning -around 6- or near lunch time, and neither time is too busy.

Although just as a head's up, around the first of the year gyms tend to pick up business quite a bit with people doing their New Year's resolutions, but that seems to even out around February. So it might be busier than normal even at those times.
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks everyone... I was going to try around lunch time. The gym is Planet Fitness and they are open 24/7 which is good.

And yea, I figured it would be getting crazy because of New Years resolutions.
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    I think most membership gyms are busiest in the morning before work, and right after work.

Sometimes the 8-10am and 1-3pm periods during the day can be fairly quiet. Or, the 1am timeslot that others have suggested is a guaranteed slow time anywhere you go.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    super early like before 6 am. after 9am to 3pmish, i avoid evening or late afternoons cos there swarms of people
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    usually right before lunch/dinner time :p
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    I work in a Gym. What I have noticed:
    Monday- wednesday is generally the busiest days of the week.
    Dies off by thursday-friday
    Weekends are DEAD especially when there is nice weather.
    Peak times are usually 6am-8am and 5pm-7pm. During the day is least busiest.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    It depends. My gm is less busy early in the morning and very early in the afternoon, lik between 1 and 3. As it gets closer to 4 and 5 pm it gets busier.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    I'm a PF member. I'm near a major university so I have to watch out for the frat boys...

4:00am-6am you will find the serious workout folks. Usually very low numbers of people.
    6am-8:30/9am are the corporate folks getting in a quick workout. Busy if you want cardio.
    9am-11:30am usually the moms or work @ home crowd. Usually very low numbers of people.
    11:30am-1pm corporate lunch folks (usually cardio). Busy if you want cardio or the Express Circuit.
    1pm-3pm more moms and work @ home folks. Usually very low numbers of people.
    3pm-5pm left work early to get in a workout folks. Medium number of people.
    5pm-9pm OMG way too many people ****ing around and socializing. WAY too many people. Interrupted lifting. Machine camping, etc.
    9pm-4am usually the serious workout folks who don't want to put up with the 5-9 crowd. Usually very low numbers of people.

Ask your PF staff if they have a peak hours chart. Mine does. It's usually dead accurate and I avoid the peak hours like the plague, especially on a lifting day.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Try not to be nervous. Request a coach from the gym to go over each piece of equipment and tour the place to help you feel more comfortable. Perhaps go an hr before the gym closes?

^ Agree with this ^
  • I thought this said busty. Just thought I'd share that.

Mine depends since it's on a military base. Busiest hours I've noticed at least during the week are between 3-6, other than that it's pretty big so everyone's nicely spaced out.
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member

thanks, yea trying not to. Being unfamiliar with equipment and feeling like people are staring because im fat are kinda in my head. It's been like 5 years since i've been in a gym so I need to just suck it up.
  • In my experience before 2pm and after 8 pm... and anytime past the morning on weekends.
  • mrskchris
    mrskchris Posts: 28 Member
    I'm a PF member. I'm near a major university so I have to watch out for the frat boys...

4:00am-6am you will find the serious workout folks. Usually very low numbers of people.
    6am-8:30/9am are the corporate folks getting in a quick workout. Busy if you want cardio.
    9am-11:30am usually the moms or work @ home crowd. Usually very low numbers of people.
    11:30am-1pm corporate lunch folks (usually cardio). Busy if you want cardio or the Express Circuit.
    1pm-3pm more moms and work @ home folks. Usually very low numbers of people.
    3pm-5pm left work early to get in a workout folks. Medium number of people.
    5pm-9pm OMG way too many people ****ing around and socializing. WAY too many people. Interrupted lifting. Machine camping, etc.
    9pm-4am usually the serious workout folks who don't want to put up with the 5-9 crowd. Usually very low numbers of people.

Ask your PF staff if they have a peak hours chart. Mine does. It's usually dead accurate and I avoid the peak hours like the plague, especially on a lifting day.

This pretty much summarizes my Lifetime Fitness Club. You nailed it!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Before lunch is when I've found :)