P90X, Calorie Deficit, and Diet???

Options
I am currently doing P90X and walking about 2-4 miles every other day. Their guide recommended I should eat about 1800 calories a day, which I am comfortable with. I however am not 100% on board with their nutrition plan or portion plan. I have always eaten at a 40/40/20 and they recommend a 50/30/20...and that amount of protein is difficult to reach and keeps me on the potty all day (TMI). Could I continue with their fitness program but my own nutrition goals and still have success???

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    really? higher protein usually causes less potty time not more

maybe your protein sources are bad

you are following the fat shredder diet plan...are you having any energy issues?

nothing wrong with moving to phase 2 which is 40/40/20
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My protein sources are fish, chicken, pork, no red meat I have a red meat intolerance, and whey protein shakes. I am trying to follow the fat shredder plan and having serious energy issues. I usually eat at 40/40/20 because I workout as much as I do and need some extra carbs.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    My protein sources are fish, chicken, pork, no red meat I have a red meat intolerance, and whey protein shakes. I am trying to follow the fat shredder plan and having serious energy issues. I usually eat at 40/40/20 because I workout as much as I do and need some extra carbs.

Im no expert but I would need to see your diary to give you my take on it
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    That's not enough of a difference to matter, your fine.
  • mommyweighless
    Options
    I switched to public. You can see it now.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I switched to public. You can see it now.

wow!

IF those calories burned are from P90X I think you are over estimating? how are you arrving at your cals burned?

most of the food looks ok to me
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    you can also add sodium or fiber to what you are tracking...I would add fiber just to see if you are getting enough
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    P90X is a program to help grow muscles, that's why it's a high protein ratio.
    You can always add in protein shakes, protein powder in yogurt/oatmeal/baking to get the ratios up but I won't go below 40% for that program..
  • mommyweighless
    Options
    I wear a HRM and fitbit for p90x. I just changed the battery in my hrm because it was dying. According to the beachbody site that is pretty close to what I should burn as well. I get the recommended 20-25 grams of fiber a day, and try my best to stay under on sodium, not always good on that though.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I've been doing p90x for years now.

Things I've learned for myself.

Macronutrients are people specific, what works for one person may not work for others.

I find that the more protein and less sugar I have the more I want to kill people. So I have a 60carb/20/20 ratio and that works for me.

The only thing I think is solid are the calories.

In the end it's about motivation--if you are motivated and are happy with your diet you will continue.

I've been gaining muscle for years now (and reducing fat) by not following the p90x reocmmendation on macros lol...

The only reason I would increase protein would be to perhaps stop late night cravings as I believe carbs make you crave more carbs lol
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    40/40/20 is fine. That is actually how they want you to eat in phase 2. Just remember that you don't eat back your exercise calories from P90X. Now, if you are also running half marathons on your P90X days, you will need to eat back THOSE calories.

We have a great P90X/Insanity support group, check it out at:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5498-p90x-insanity-the-game-changers