Long distance relationship, anyone else in the same boat?

Options
MorbidMander
MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
Or an "LDR" for short. I'm missing the love of my life immensely right now who's English. I'm in America. =( I've known him for almost 7 years, and it's almost our first anniversary as a couple, kinda finding it hard, but I know we'll push through the difficult times. After he goes to bed on Skype, it's still early-ish here, so I'm up all sad now, missing him.

Where does your significant other reside if you're in a long distance relationship? Be it an international one or not? It'll feel nice to not feel oh-so-alone dealing with this kind of thing. Although, he is visiting me again in April so that is what I have to look forward to. :)

Replies

• ekkand
    ekkand Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My man is deployed overseas. We currently talk when we can but it's not the same as when he was in the states. He wont be home until May for a week and then wont be back until October. It sucks but it gets easier. Be glad you get to skype and talk to your guy all the time.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    im in USA and she is in Turkey so yea it is a hell of a LDR, we know each other and in a relationship since 2005 february 2 xD

marriage is hopefully so soon after she gets her fiance visa approved " crossing my finger "

if you want my advice , make it back together in the same place as fast as possible ASAP because it gets so freaking hard after a time
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i am in china and he is in california. not in a relationship but i just can't let it go.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I'm not sure if this counts, but my husband is working in Angola on an 8week on / 4 week off rotation .
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well if you're already in a boat, you can at least sail over there to visit him!

Get it...you said boat....

k I'm done now.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well if you're already in a boat, you can at least sail over there to visit him!

Get it...you said boat....

k I'm done now.

This made me laugh :'D
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My ex was in the Army. His base was in New York State and I live in Boston, which isn't THAT far but far enough that we didn't see each other all the time. He also did two tours of duty when we were together which was especially difficult because it meant we didn't get to talk very often and I didn't see him for pretty much an entire year.

Basically I learned to be thankful for the time we did have together. I developed my own interests and other friendships and kept myself busy. That's the most important thing not to let yourself get too caught up in the relationship being the only thing you focus on. And I took comfort in the fact that we will be together again someday. I looked forward to letters and Skype time and made the most of the time we did have together.

I feel like in a way being long distance helps keep things fresh, helps keep you interested and you keep that giddy feeling in the relationship longer and it also forces you to be good at communicating. Try and remember that there are plus sides.

When you're feeling lonely just do something to take your mind off things and be thankful you have someone in your life to miss and who loves you
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    My husband and I were an LDR for 2 years before we were married. There was a lot of online chatting and video chats, emailing, telephone conversations and visits whenever we could. We were lucky as I was in Canada and he was in the U.S. and only 5 hours away from each other, but he didn't have a car and neither did I so it was expensive for us to visit each other.

It takes a lot of dedication and communication to stay in an LDR. They can work out - hey, my husband and I made it - but it's a long, long road especially if you're going to be dealing with immigration laws to stay together.
  • musicalboats
    Options
    Yup... he is on a four month on/ three week off rotation... which is better then the three month/ three day rotation he was on... In Washington, he is in Alaska. There is actually internet most the time now, and a land line, so I can hear from him more often now, when he was on a boat there was only one very expensive satellite phone for a crew of 150. Going on year two and a half now, he has been gone since June 2011? I can't even remember anymore lol... And I was in Kentucky for college before that.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm in Singapore, she's in Germany :) Been together for more than 2.5 years now, and we see each other once every 3 - 4 months. It's tough, but we're getting through it. Hopefully we only need to be apart for another year or so ... and then I'm moving there *fingers crossed*!

The thin silver lining? I get to spend all the time that I would've spent with her on working out instead XD it's great for my weight loss & fitness goals ;)