Help Me Get My Calorie Equation Right!

Options
I can't seem to loose any weight. I realize I'm not special and that calories in equal calories out, but I'm having a very, very difficult time getting the equation right. I've been able to lose weight in the past (I'm about 20 lbs. down from my high weight and I've kept that off), but every time I've tried lately (past 6 months), I completely stall out and lose and regain the same 2-3 lbs.

5' 0"
130 lbs., 25 years old
Body Fat (varies by calculator, but 27-30%)
Mifflin-St Jeor BMR: 1257
TDEE Sedentary: 1257 * 1.2 = 1508
TDEE Lightly Active: 1257 * 1.375 = 1728
TDEE Moderately Active: 1257 & 1.55 = 1948
Workout: 6-7x/week - strength every day (rotate) for 20-30 mins, cardio every other day for 30-45 mins

I used the Mifflin-St Jeor formula because everything I've ever read said that it's the most accurate; those multipliers seem pretty standard based on different online calculators.

When I started up in late September, I went to the helpful Roadmap 2.0 post and plugged my figures. I used the figure it gave (2100 about because it used the Harris-Benedict BMR formula), subtracted 20%, to get 1652 for daily intake at moderately active. I didn't log exercise calories because I used moderately active. Most days I came in under (not a lot), in the 1550-1600 range. I only fluctuated between about 2 lbs. with no steady trend.

I started in December, and since that didn't work, I set my calories to BMR (1257) and have been eating about that (averaging 1211/day in December). I log my workout calories on top of that. I have also been fluctuating about 2 lbs. (total .2 loss in 14 days) without a clear trend or even a steady downward loss.

At this point, I'm at a loss for what to do if neither 1200 nor 1600 has been effective. I'm not looking for a quick fix or rapid weight loss. I'm aiming at a .5 lb or 1 lb./week loss for the first 10 lbs, then a slower loss until I reach my goal weight, but after one set of three weeks and one set of two weeks, I haven't come close even the .5 mark (250 calorie deficit/day). Also, I'm not claiming that the numbers are off, I just know that there are a lot of variables and I must be missing something, which is why I'm asking for help.

What would you recommend I do?

More Information, Because Someone Will Ask:
* I typically drink plenty of water, though there are days when I don't get enough.
* I use a Polar FT7 to log workout calories.
* I am a student, I walk around more than someone with a desk job, but I'm certainly not on my feet all day.
* I track everything (except chewing gum), but I even track black coffee or the dessert I split at a restaurant. I always use measuring cups at home, but I do not weigh fruit (e.g. just count a "large" apple). Of course, some things are estimates, but I try to be diligent and include lots of extra oil when I don't cook myself if I can't get an exact number.
* I am mostly a vegetarian, so my protein intake is lower than it should be (only average about 65 g/day). Food composition hasn't been perfect and I do rely on some processed foods (e.g. greek yogurt for snacks, Special K bars every so often, lean cuisine to take to work if I don't have home-cooked leftovers).

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    1 - Need your age for the calculation.

2- Tell us what you actually do as part of your strength training
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. Age = 25. Strength training varies, but typically involves circuits/interval training of some sort. No serious lifting.

In September/October, I was doing functional training at a gym in a small group (squats, kettlebells, sand bags) with a trainer (45 minute sessions). Now, I've been doing 30 day shred, various other at home workouts, as well as standard weight machines at the gym on non interval days (lots of reps, smaller weights).
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    At a guess, training too much for the amount you're eating, or not eating enough for the amount you're training.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    At a guess, training too much for the amount you're eating, or not eating enough for the amount you're training.

Can this happen even if you're logging calories with a heart rate monitor and eating them back?

Should I put "lightly active" then log hard workout calories on top of that to give me more for a day?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me. Age = 25. Strength training varies, but typically involves circuits/interval training of some sort. No serious lifting.

In September/October, I was doing functional training at a gym in a small group (squats, kettlebells, sand bags) with a trainer (45 minute sessions). Now, I've been doing 30 day shred, various other at home workouts, as well as standard weight machines at the gym on non interval days (lots of reps, smaller weights).

not what I would recommend, this whole "light weights and high reps for toning" thing is a BS myth created by the same womens mags that tell you lifting weights make you bulky.

Given that you are only 130lbs, despite what you might look like there is not a lot of weight for you to lose. focus on body composition, getting stronger and what you look like in the mirror rather than scale weight. (look in the sucess stories section there are TONS of people who started a 130, lifted and ended up at 135 but look 100x better)

Get a proper routine, squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, chin ups. Get stronger at the basic movements and everything else falls into place.

Lift weights (properly) 3/4 times per week, cardio 1-2 times per week maximum to begin with.

When I started up in late September, I went to the helpful Roadmap 2.0 post and plugged my figures. I used the figure it gave (2100 about because it used the Harris-Benedict BMR formula), subtracted 20%, to get 1652

Thats probably about right.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Can this happen even if you're logging calories with a heart rate monitor and eating them back?

Should I put "lightly active" then log hard workout calories on top of that to give me more for a day?

What I mean, is you're not eating enough to build muscle (and I don't think you're lifting enough for that anyway) and because of the amount you're training, your body won't want to give up any fat. It think it needs those stores for the day when you do cardio and don't give it enough to eat.

The last few pounds are known to be hard, and are usually better tackled through proper strength training and body recomposition rather than by trying to diet/cardio away the last bits of fat.