Question for the ladies about......eek..... cellulite

Options
Has anyone had any experience with cellulite diminishing on its own from weight loss alone? I know there is no magic cure for cellulite and Ive even heard that sometimes weight loss can make it worse, so does anyone have any first hand experience with this?
Thanks

Replies

• 89curves89
    89curves89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good questions!! I would love to know the answer too!!!
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've had a bit for ages but I think it's looking better as I lose a few pounds. However this could be down to drinking more water and generally feeling better about myself. And the fact that it's now dark earlier! ;-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Diet alone? No.

I was a small tiny barely 100 pounds with cellulite. I started lifting heavy (deadlifts and squats especially help) and now at 112 pounds my cellulite diminished by 90%.

Edited to say: I am 6 years older in the below/after picture.....

Before 103-105 pounds - note the large amount of cellulite on the fronts of my legs
    oldlegs.jpg

Now 112 pounds
    legs.jpg
  • Loula124
    Loula124 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Diet alone? No.

I was a small tiny barely 100 pounds with cellulite. I started lifting heavy (deadlifts and squats especially help) and now at 112 pounds my cellulite diminished by 90%.

You look great now! Although I do find that very bright sunlight (or fluorescent changing room type indoor light) is especially unkind to my thighs! Good to know though.
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think building muscle probably helps... strength training exercise... light weights, squats, press ups etc. Green tea is really good at blasting fat as well... I drink a few cups in the morning but make sure you drink plenty of water as well... keep you hydrated and flush out toxins
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is simply fat deposits near the surface of the skin. You burn fat, you lose cellulite. So with diet and strength training it should improve drastically.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience with cellulite diminishing on its own from weight loss alone? I know there is no magic cure for cellulite and Ive even heard that sometimes weight loss can make it worse, so does anyone have any first hand experience with this?
    Thanks

Cellulite is the absence of collagen, not the presence of fat. Sometimes weight loss makes the skin tighter, so it's less visible. Try getting a lot of vitamin C. It can slow or stop the loss of collagen and if you're lucky, rebuild it.

But I think cellulite in general is genetic, so if you're going to have it, there isn't a lot you can do.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Mine has decreased enormously as I've shedded the fat and built up lean mass with heavy lifting (none of that light weights bs). I have 2 (what I perceive) deep pocks on each hip and . . . well I should say I had 2 deep pocks on each hip. I still have a little on my lower bum and upper thighs because that's my problem area. It will never go away completely, but I like that it has greatly diminished.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Cellulite is the absence of collagen, not the presence of fat. Sometimes weight loss makes the skin tighter, so it's less visible. Try getting a lot of vitamin C. It can slow or stop the loss of collagen and if you're lucky, rebuild it.

But I think cellulite in general is genetic, so if you're going to have it, there isn't a lot you can do.

Hmmmm, I may have to disagree with you there. You are right in that it if you have an absence of collagen, it does make cellulite more obvious, but ultimately cellulite is still fat that pushes through that tissue, therefore you burn the fat, you lose the cellulite.

Attempting to improve your collagen production will help, but the recommended way to do that is to eat well and exercise. Ha.

This is quite a good article on it I think. Puts it in laymans terms.

http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/what-causes-cellulite.aspx
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    Yes. My *kitten* and thighs are noticably less dimply/ smoother.

This was me
    > :D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Hmmmm, I may have to disagree with you there. You are right in that it if you have an absence of collagen, it does make cellulite more obvious, but ultimately cellulite is still fat that pushes through that tissue, therefore you burn the fat, you lose the cellulite.

Attempting to improve your collagen production will help, but the recommended way to do that is to eat well and exercise. Ha.

The fat pushes through because the collagen isn't there to hold it back. This is why you can be 90 pounds and 15% body fat and have cellulite. If it were only a matter of excess fat, people in great shape would never have cellulite, but they do.
    Step 1: Estrogen acts on fibroblasts.
    Step 2: Fibroblasts act on collagenase.
    Step 3: Collangenase breaks down collagen surrounding fat cells.
    Step 4: Collagen strands deteriorate around packs of fat cells.
    Step 5: Fat cells now spread out toward soft tissue surface of skin.
    Step 6: Loose fat cells also expand and multiply near skin surface to form cellulite appearance.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/science-unlocks-cellulite-1.htm
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am in my mid 40's and do strength training and have no cellulite. Mind you, I did not have much before I started strength training.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks

The fat pushes through because the collagen isn't there to hold it back. This is why you can be 90 pounds and 15% body fat and have cellulite. If it were only a matter of excess fat, people in great shape would never have cellulite, but they do.

From everything I've read, it's sort of the perfect storm. It is the absence of collagen, and one of the reasons why you can be lean and still have pockets of noticeable cellulite, but it's exaserbated by a higher percentage of body fat as that stresses the connective tissue. Drinkiing more water, exercising, decreasing overall body fat percentage, decreasing stresses on the body (both environmental stresses like work and other stresses like that of extreme dieting), decreasing water retention factors like high sodium diets, and eating a well balanced diet including fiber and lean proteins (from what i've read) may help to reduce the appearence of cellulite. However, if you are genetically predisposed to getting it (and 80% - 90% of women are) you can't avoid it, only try to keep it at a minimum.
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I second the lifting (or third the lifting) I had bad cellulite all my life until I started even when I was healthy weight in my teens. Now my thighs and bum don't have it just nice muscle :smile:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm using a cellulite cream my doctor recommended (although he recommended particular ingredients that "may" help with skin tightning not a particular cream). Apparently exfoliating and using ingredients that moisturize and increase blood flow can help some peoples skin tighten a little bit faster. It just happened to be a cellulite cream that had the combo, so i am putting it on my thighs too! LOL i'm skeptical but I'll let you know if it does anything.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Heavy.

I have less now at 40 than I did as a skinny teenager.

IMG_1293-copy2.jpg

135-back.jpg
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Did get a reduction from clean eating plus intense strength training plus moderate to intense cardio. By intense I mean intense, an hour of leg buckling lower body weight training once a week.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    clean eating and strength exercise with weights is the first thing to do. There are some techniques to get rid of cellulite: dry skin brushing, gua sha, derma rollers
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Running has helped mine immensely, and I plan to squat and lift to get even hotter!
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My doctor has said there is no easy way to lose it, but the first step is losing the weight and reducing body fat percentage. Toning will help reduce it more and more.