Deadlifts

Options
Forgive me for my ignorance!

I'm getting into lifting, and am developing a proper routine.

EVERYONE seems to recommend and love deadlifts.

I can't work out why. It seems like a really simple movement. Am I just not lifting heavy enough weight? I worry about looking a *kitten* in the weights area with all the men who watch me while they are bicep curling. So I want to do it properly. And I don't want to hurt myself from bad form from going too heavy.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's very simple,but extremely effective.

If you are finding it 'easy' then yeah, it's time to put more weight on the bar.

There are probably 10000 articles on the internet about how to deadlift, this is a pretty good video if I remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If you find them easy, you aren't lifting enough. Remember to power thru the legs in the start of the lift and from the back towards the top.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are fantastic for your core, your butt and your hamstrings.

Work on good form, push through your heels and work up to heavy weights.

You don't have to do hundreds. A few good heavy reps is all you need.
  • museud
    Options
    Deadlift is fantastic and I do it twice a week.

Just remember:

- Wide opposite grip
    - arch back when up straight
    - super set (start heavy low reps and go light with more reps).
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are whole body exercise.

You work up to your heavy set with lighter weight and do one set of five reps (1x5) at your working weight and increase next session.

Once you get heavy 1x5 is all you will want to do and you will feel drained.

Here is how:-

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Deadlift_Videos
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting?

When I started I did 60 pounds to learn proper form, 80 the next week, 100 the next week, and have increased it in 5-10 pound increments over the last few months.
    I pulled a 160 the other day, new record.

If you can do more than 5-8, it's too light. The 5th one should feel difficult, 8 near impossible. I do sets of 5. This is of course assuming you have proper form down...if not, stay lighter until you get it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Listen to this guy: http://youtu.be/faxMik4O3Zk?t=9m40s

You may notice he's huge, you won't get that way without huge amounts of food etc. But the point is, its not about sheer weight, its about feeling the contraction, and feeling the muscles that you are targetting and ensure they are working.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks soo much!

I was doing the wrong grip, gfor a start... :\
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Thanks soo much!

You only need to do mixed grip once you start pulling heavier weights, I only use it over 80kgs.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Thanks soo much!

unless your grip is an issue, you don't need to have a mixed grip.

there are lots of people who can pull well over 600 pounds with a regular grip. I can comfortably pull close to 400 that way.

an over/under grip is great for heavy weights, but if you aren't keeping your arms locked (most beginners don't) you can tear things.
  • RAURARIKES
    Options
    theyre the best for the butt
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    The guys aren't looking at you and judging you harshly. They're happy you're there and grateful for the scenery, and happy to see a woman going for it. I'm sure if you're doing ANYTHING AT ALL sub-optimally, they'll be happy to give you advice unsolicited to help your form :happy:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'll leave this one to ol' Mark Rippetoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'll leave this one to ol' Mark Rippetoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

I watched a few EFS vids when I learned to deadlift that helped a lot. Mark's ideas for how close to get to the bar don't work well for me. I do better if the bar is further out over my toes than what he reccommends.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, I still do stiff legged dead lifts with dumb bells. It allows me to work on keeping good form in my back without having to worry about the legs just yet. I feel it from the butt all the way down the legs. It's a great exercise.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    My whole body, and especially my legs, are totally spent after my deadlifts. Deadlifts are the only lift I'll do that day.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    My whole body, and especially my legs, are totally spent after my deadlifts. Deadlifts are the only lift I'll do that day.

work on increasing your work capacity.
    deads should be taxing, but 99% of people are going to do assistance work after them.
  • mominwi419
    Options

work on increasing your work capacity.
    deads should be taxing, but 99% of people are going to do assistance work after them.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice! >.<