Timex vs Garmin HRM

Options
Hi,

I am going to a running store today to finally get fitted for a new pair of running shoes. I may also buy a HRM with a chest strap. But, I believe the only one they have in the store is the Timex brand. I was just wondering what you all think of that vs the Garmin. Should I just order one off the internet? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• snowboardn
    Options
    I can't compare to timex buy my garmin works great. I have the Forerunner 405, it acquires satellites pretty quickly and seems to have a very accurate HRM. I can also upload my workouts to Garmin.com automatically via a usb attachment. I am very pleased with it.

*Edit* I actually bought mine at Bestbuy so if you have one of those you might be able to pick it up there or any sports store.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From my knowledge, I have found that Timex tends to over estimate the calories burned (higher burns for same duration and average HR).
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a budget. I'll be using my reward money from exercising and I have about $400 in the pot right not. I don't think they cost that much. \

I'd like to have one that will track distance, as I run on country roads and have been estimating distance based on driving the car and noting every quarter mile or so. I also would like one that will help me see my HR in real time so I can adjust my pace when I want to have an easy day. I eventually want to run a marathon.....way in the future, but anything that would help me train for that and not get injured is my goal.
  • snowboardn
    Options
    With that said, it sounds like Garmin would be perfect for you... Mine was $299, it is a little intimidating at first but there really isn't all that much to it. I can use it in the gym without GPS to track my HR and Cals burned or I can turn the gps on and run anywhere (outside) you can run through the woods if you like and it will track your elevation and distance.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    The Garmin Forerunner 210 is one of the best deals on the market today. For a minimal investment you get an amazing workout tracker. The GPS is spot on, the HR algorithms are fantastic, its compatible footpod is great for dreadmill sessions, and the ANT+ technology is top notch.

If you're looking for JUST a heart rate monitor, then you could do fine spending much less..but it won't be nearly as functional.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Timex.
    [/quote

Thanks for the information.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks. Sounds like the Garmin Forerunner 210 is the pick of the day. Sounds like a great Christmas gift to myself. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Look at these reviews and you can choose one based on the features you want and the price you are willing to pay. This site also contains a very good summary of the good and the bad of each brand and model. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

Also check out http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 410 actually has many more features than the 210 and costs $100 less on Amazon right now. I'm looking at these two right now and don't quite understand the difference in price. The downsides to the 410 are a bezel that some people find difficult to operate and it's a little bulkier than the 210. I really like the simplicity of the 210 and just simple buttons as opposed to a touch bezel, but I have a hard time justifying $250 for the 210 vs. $150 for the 410.

Lots of good info here:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews