Not losing, any ideas why?

Options
I started weight watchers 2 months ago and was told by someone online to try MFP. I've been entering everything I eat and exercise every day. Today I went for my weigh in and I gained. I started at 200.4 and in 2 months I'm down to 197.5. I can't seem to lose. Anyone have any ideas why? I know my food and exercise diary can be viewed, maybe Im doing something wrong. Im really trying to lose 27-30lbs but at this rate its going to take me 2 years.

I'm 5'9, female and 197.5

Replies

• AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    We can't view your diary & exercise log, fix that! In the mean time, how many net calories are you eating everyday? Are you strength training, too?
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    re do your calculations and do not count your workout calories

if you need help calculating your calories need please let me know ( you have to coporate your BF% in your calculation )
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    my personal experience, check out your tdee & bmr. you may be eating too much or too little. also consider what workouts you're doing... strength training would have you building muscle and sculpting... imo & experience. go by how ur clothes feel MORE than the #
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open....

Idk if it pertains to you, but I've heard of people using Weight Watchers not losing while also using MFP because you count veggies as no calorie (or no point) foods in Weight Watchers, when they do have cals...

Disclaimer:::: I've never done Weight Watchers... so I could be totally wrong. lol
  • smilegrandmom
    smilegrandmom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't see your food diary. It may be that you are not being meticulous about weighing and measuring EVERYTHING. Drinking enough water? Thinking you've burned more calories than you actually have? When I was being really careful I was able to lose the pound a week. Once I started "maintaining", I just started guessing and estimating and though I've stayed close to goal weight, I'm not losing like I thought I should be and I put it down to not being accurate in my counts. My sister has done a wonderful job with this program and has lost over 50 pounds---keep trying!
  • nvanprooyen
    Options
    Few questions:

- How many kcals are you consuming per day?
    - What are the splits between your macros (protein, carbs, fat)? E.g. 45% / 35% / 20%.
    - What kind of exercise are you doing?

Some additional reading that might help you:

Part 1: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
    Part 2: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

The guy who publishes (Lyle McDonald) this information really knows his stuff. There is a whole bunch of content on top of that inside the "fat loss" section of his article archives that you might find useful:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/fat-loss/fat-loss-fundamentals
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open....

Idk if it pertains to you, but I've heard of people using Weight Watchers not losing while also using MFP because you count veggies as no calorie (or no point) foods in Weight Watchers, when they do have cals...

Disclaimer:::: I've never done Weight Watchers... so I could be totally wrong. lol

Right now Im pretty much just gpoing for the weigh in, with their new points polus I wasn't losing. Total waste of money.
  • spm2010
    Options
    my personal experience, check out your tdee & bmr. you may be eating too much or too little. also consider what workouts you're doing... strength training would have you building muscle and sculpting... imo & experience. go by how ur clothes feel MORE than the #

It put me at 1290 calories a day., That may be too low for me. Im trying to just do cardio to burn as much fat as possible than add in weights.
  • spm2010
    Options
    Sorry, had diary setting to private, its public now.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you're not loosing weight you're eating too much based on what your burn.
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    add weights NOW!!! it'll help tone n sculpt your body, besides... you dont wanna have saggy loose skin after all that cardio.. u wanna tone as u go.. gd luck
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't track sodium, and sodium could be the culprit. Modify your diary to track sodium and see if you are over. I believe MFP sets an upper limit of 2500 mg. of sodium per day, but even that may be too much for you. Too much sodium can cause you to retain water and that might hinder weight loss.
  • smilegrandmom
    Options
    Okay, having looked at your food diary.....you aren't eating enough. You should be eating all of your allowed calories, including the ones you earn from exercise. They've told you how many you can consume and still lose the amount per week that you have entered into the program. Generally, I think they feel it's the healthiest to lose one pound per week. For me, it was 1200 calories per day. If you don't eat those calories you are at risk for your body to go into starvation mode and you won't lose the weight. It seems counter intuitive but when I tried starving myself (you know, only eating 1000 or less calories) I didn't lose and when I had my 1200, I was losing that pound a week. My sister has done the same but she gets in walks everyday and gains herself 200-600 more calories to eat. As I said, she's lost over 50 pounds and she sticks very close to the number of calories she is allowed. Anyway, may two cents from our experience.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't track sodium, and sodium could be the culprit. Modify your diary to track sodium and see if you are over. I believe MFP sets an upper limit of 2500 mg. of sodium per day, but even that may be too much for you. Too much sodium can cause you to retain water and that might hinder weight loss.

^^^This I do best at 1500 for sodium. and drink drink drink your water.
  • spm2010
    Options
    Okay, having looked at your food diary.....you aren't eating enough. You should be eating all of your allowed calories, including the ones you earn from exercise. They've told you how many you can consume and still lose the amount per week that you have entered into the program. Generally, I think they feel it's the healthiest to lose one pound per week. For me, it was 1200 calories per day. If you don't eat those calories you are at risk for your body to go into starvation mode and you won't lose the weight. It seems counter intuitive but when I tried starving myself (you know, only eating 1000 or less calories) I didn't lose and when I had my 1200, I was losing that pound a week. My sister has done the same but she gets in walks everyday and gains herself 200-600 more calories to eat. As I said, she's lost over 50 pounds and she sticks very close to the number of calories she is allowed. Anyway, may two cents from our experience.

I changed it from 2lbs a week to 1 lb a week, I think 1200 might have been too low. So even if she ate all her activity calories back she still lost weight?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I changed it from 2lbs a week to 1 lb a week, I think 1200 might have been too low. So even if she ate all her activity calories back she still lost weight?
    The way MFP is designed to work, it gives you a calorie goal with a built in calorie deficit, so even if you never do any planned exercise, you should still lose. If MFP didn't work in this way, then it would have factored in any exercise you planned to do and given you a higher calorie goal to start with. If you take the low goal it gives you, then do exercise and don't eat those calories back, you might end up with a bigger calorie deficit than is really optimal.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You arent eating enough!
  • smilegrandmom
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I changed it from 2lbs a week to 1 lb a week, I think 1200 might have been too low. So even if she ate all her activity calories back she still lost weight?"
    [/quote]

Exactly! I fought against that too!! She eats ALL of her allowed calories--the 1200 PLUS any she has earned with exercise and she was losing her one pound and sometimes even more! She usually gets within 20 calories under. She's amazing with her food scale usage and is meticulous about it, as I said. Once she reached goal and was trying to maintain she was still losing and after a month has finally hit on the correct calorie count to break even. She has also been taken off her blood pressure meds. Try it for a while and see for yourself!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Try eating less processed foods and get your sodium level under 2500 mg per day. It usually takes me 3 or 4 days after a big sodium day to get rid of it all.

Also, stop logging your cleaning as exercise.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat more real food that look the same as it did when it came off the plant or animal, not processed rubbish which has no nutrients to speak of - lose all the added sugars and white/ refined carbohydrates, processed and junk should be no more than 10% of your daily calories which is one small treat. You are eating barely any fruits and vegetables, you should be having nine servings a day in the full rainbow of colours (red, green, yellow/ orange, blue/ purple), lean protein at each meals and snack including breakfast, healthy fats regularly (oily fish especially), mineral rich foods a couple of times a day (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils). You are tracking calcium but you need magnesium too for your bones, muscles and hormones in the brain.