Anyone Have Ideas for Flavoring Coffee More Healthily?

Options
JennyJG
JennyJG Posts: 27
Hi all,
I am a big coffee lover and I use Non-Dairy Flavored Creamer to flavor my coffee - its not huge on calories, but enough to make a difference - plus sodium in it. (Who knew until I put sodium on my tracked nutrients!) Plus since I have been putting healthier foods into myself it doesn't make me feel as good.

Anyone have a favorite low-cal healthy way to get their caffeine fix they would like to share?

Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• nsyncfan1
    nsyncfan1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! Jen!! Try drinking flavored coffee. The flavoring does not add calories and some of them taste great. Love the chocolate truffle. Hope this helps. Nancy
  • msladyface
    Options
    This may not exactly answer your question, but I used to take cream and sugar in my coffe and have slowly moved to drinking it black. Over a period of a year or so (I literally loved the dunken donuts coffee with cream and sugar - waaay too much of both) I have completely taken out all cream and sugar and coffee just tastes strange with anything in it.

You might want to try flavor-roasted coffees. I'm not sure about the nutritional facts, but some of them give you a little bit of sweetness without the actual sugar. HTH!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I add low-calorie hot cocoa mix to my coffee, and about a tablespoon of skim milk.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk & sugar free vanilla syrup right now.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    Splenda makes a flavored sugar subsitute. I get the mocha flavored one. They also have hazlenut. No calories!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am a big coffee lover and I use Non-Dairy Flavored Creamer to flavor my coffee - its not huge on calories, but enough to make a difference - plus sodium in it. (Who knew until I put sodium on my tracked nutrients!) Plus since I have been putting healthier foods into myself it doesn't make me feel as good.

Anyone have a favorite low-cal healthy way to get their caffeine fix they would like to share?

Thanks!
    Jen

Try vanilla soy or almond milk...I was doing that for awhile, but now I'm switching to a new tactic of buying good coffee so I can drink it black.
  • gglenn
    gglenn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use Davinci sugar free syrup -- vanilla, raspberry, french vanilla. It zero calories and made with Splenda. It's pretty good.:drinker:
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I buy flavored coffee and put in a table spoon of half and half, almond milk, or skim milk (depending on what I have). I also use ground cinnamon, torani sugar free syrups (walmart), or cool-whip free from time to time. For sweeteners I usually use sweet n low, but I've been trying to steer away from that so I've been using truvia and Purevia (Natural calorie free sweeteners).

Of course I dont put all of these things at once, but these are some of the things I've played around with to get a lower calorie coffee. I can usually enjoy my coffee just as much as I did before for 40 cals or less.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee anymore (I had the worst caffiene headaches)...but when I did I would add a few sprinkles of cinnamon or nutmeg to the grounds before I brewed it...just like flavored coffee but without the extra price and cals. Also, I would only use 1% milk...no cream or sugar.
  • JennyJG
    Options
    Hi! Jen!! Try drinking flavored coffee. The flavoring does not add calories and some of them taste great. Love the chocolate truffle. Hope this helps. Nancy

Chocolate Truffle Sounds so good - thanks for the idea!
  • JennyJG
    Options
    This may not exactly answer your question, but I used to take cream and sugar in my coffe and have slowly moved to drinking it black. Over a period of a year or so (I literally loved the dunken donuts coffee with cream and sugar - waaay too much of both) I have completely taken out all cream and sugar and coffee just tastes strange with anything in it.

You might want to try flavor-roasted coffees. I'm not sure about the nutritional facts, but some of them give you a little bit of sweetness without the actual sugar. HTH!

That's an excellent answer. That happened with me and coffee/cream and sugar. (I can relate to the Dunkin Donuts - oiy!) When I stopped using sugar, I began to really enjoy the flavor of the coffee more. I guess I'll just have to buy a better quality roast to enjoy it black, though! Thank you so much.
  • JennyJG
    Options
    Thanks all for taking the time to share - I appreciate it!
    jen
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I use So Delicious coconut creamer, only 15 calories per tablespoon and very yummy (dairy free and fat free).
  • amanda89
    amanda89 Posts: 19
    Options
    When you brew your coffee you can add a little bit of cinnamon (very little amount) just a little sprinkle to your coffee grinds. I do this and it gives it a flavor, then I just add 1% milk and splenda, so it's very low in calories.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    I went to black coffe a couple of months ago - (I was an x-large Tripple Tripple at TimHortons for the longest time!) I was told that if you drink a good organic coffe black it actually reduces the acid in your system instead of upping it. It took me about a week to get used to it black - however, I still like flavour in my coffee sometimes! I add cocoa powder - just Fry's cocoa, not hot chocolate! It cuts down on the bitterness of the coffee and leaves a nice chocolate-ish aftertaste!
  • missdobbs
    Options
    this is so helpful, thank you for posting!
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    I add flavored splenda, sugar free flavored syrup...rarely any creamers.

I'm the kind of girl who grew up drinking her parents coffee.. my moms was always loaded with half n half or coffee mate.. so creamy and sweet. Haha.. So for a while I drank mine the same until I decided to quite drinking my calories (somewhere along mt 100lb weight loss journey)..

:drinker: I still love coffee, still drink it every morning. :drinker:
  • saram21
    saram21 Posts: 88
    Options
    Vanilla flavored Silk
  • Kalamitykate
    Kalamitykate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    We had a conversation with our local coffee roaster a few months ago and he agrees with TheMaid, amanda, and others. He said that most store bought flavored coffee is burned and they use the flavor to hide the taste. He makes his flavored coffee by adding spices and extracts to good grounds right before he brews it. We live in the southwest so he uses lots of chilis and jalapenos - that's a little much for me tho'. We've tried a bunch of different things but I love dark cocoa powder, hazelnut or almond extract, and cinnamon. Just a little bit of skim milk with that gives it a yummy flavor. :drinker:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee anymore (I had the worst caffiene headaches)...but when I did I would add a few sprinkles of cinnamon or nutmeg to the grounds before I brewed it...just like flavored coffee but without the extra price and cals. Also, I would only use 1% milk...no cream or sugar.

Ditto! Add a pinch of cinnamon or pumpkin pie blend or whatever you want on top of the grounds before you brew. This tastes a lot better to me than a lot of the flavor roasted coffees (maybe I just haven't found the good ones, but the ones I've tried have too much of a strange chemically taste to me). I add skim milk and no sugar.