Hate my body type

Options
Ok...I started out at 186 57". I am currently down to 150. My profile pic is me at about 170 probably. My original goal was 150. After I got down in the 150s I saw what my body looked like and knew more weight loss would be needed. I have lost weight all over but most of my weight I carry in my stomach. I currently literally have no butt my boobs have dropped 1 size and I still have a big old gut. I have so much extra baby skin I don't think my stomach will everlook okay. I exercise 5 to 6 days per week running and lifting. Just sucks I will probably be skin and bone everywhere else but a gut.
Thanks for listening to a my pity party:-)

Replies

• nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I had always carried my weight in my stomach mostly my lower stomach. Then I had abdominal surgery, split me from pubic bone to the center of ribs. Now I carry just as much weight in my upper area, right below my breast line. I had a heart doctor tell me he had been the same way, carried his weight in his stomach then he gave up all wheat and flat down it went. Said Wheat causes belly fat for some people. He recomended a book called "Wheat Belly". If all else fails maybe you should research into it. Anywaty, hate my body type too. I have thin arms, (i can wrap my thumb and middle finger around my wrist with lap over) and thin legs (looks like a young girls legs) and then a 48 inch belly.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Ok...I started out at 186 57". I am currently down to 150. My profile pic is me at about 170 probably. My original goal was 150. After I got down in the 150s I saw what my body looked like and knew more weight loss would be needed. I have lost weight all over but most of my weight I carry in my stomach. I currently literally have no butt my boobs have dropped 1 size and I still have a big old gut. I have so much extra baby skin I don't think my stomach will everlook okay. I exercise 5 to 6 days per week running and lifting. Just sucks I will probably be skin and bone everywhere else but a gut.
    Thanks for listening to a my pity party:-)

You can change your body shape by changing your diet and exercise regime, the stomach is actually the one area research suggests you can spot reduce and you can certainly build functional shapely glutes (buttock muscles). Obviously you cannot remove excess skin without surgery, but many many women have that after a baby or weight loss.

Understand that the body stores fat on the stomach partly due to hormones/ genetics but largely for 'fight or flight', this is stress fat. So remove anything the body finds stressful from your lifestyle - smoking, alcohol, poor sleep patterns, skipping meals, sugars, white refined carbs, high glycaemic index carbs, general nutrient deprivation, overexercising and so on. Instead eat an anti-inflammatory, stress reducing diet - plenty of oily fish, low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of colours, magnesium rich foods and suchlike. Pracise some form of relaxation techniques.

Exercise wise cut down on the quantity of running and up the quality - high intensity interval training, running up hills. Weights do large/ multiple muscle groups, slow lifting (at least 6 secs per rep), perfect technique, heavy enough you cannot do more than about 10 repetitions and always go to failure (cannot do another quality rep even if someone had a loaded gun to your head). Lunges (static or moving), wide stance squats, one leg squats with a Swiss ball are better for glutes than regular squats - most people don't squat low enough to activate the glutes they just end up hitting the thighs. Push through your heels NEVER let your heels lift or push with your toes. Pilates is good for developing functional shapely glutes and strong flat deep abdominal muscles, don't do any ab curls or sit ups.

I find with the vast majority of clients if they are working at the right intensity they can't do more than four quality one hour workouts per week, any longer and you risk overreaching or overtraining, spreading the same amount of effort out over more time, missing out on the afterburn (can be up to twice as much fat with intensive intervals), increasing the levels of stress hormones which encourage fat retention and muscle loss! Also remember that even professional athletes cycle their training, hard and easier phases.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Your body type is your body type. It won't change! Besides, it's cute.

You need to strengthen your muscles and let everything pull together again. You've lost a lot of weight. I think, from what you've said, you've had a baby! Like rubber bands, those muscles need to tighten up - they've been stretched. You need to help them by exercising them. Lift and planks. Even just pushing them in and out. But it will take time. I am NOT seeing the gut you're talking about. I do so a nice bustline and NO FAT HIPS. Could be worse.

Good luck!
  • _jkr
    _jkr Posts: 24
    Options
    I feel you! But you should try being short, I'm 5' flat.
    I've lost 10 lbs so far and I'm telling you, it does NOT show a tiny bit. But when I gain those 10 lbs back, everyone will notice. It's crazy.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Your body type is your body type. It won't change! Besides, it's cute.

You need to strengthen your muscles and let everything pull together again. You've lost a lot of weight. I think, from what you've said, you've had a baby! Like rubber bands, those muscles need to tighten up - they've been stretched. You need to help them by exercising them. Lift and planks. Even just pushing them in and out. But it will take time. I am NOT seeing the gut you're talking about. I do so a nice bustline and NO FAT HIPS. Could be worse.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yes 2 kids! I know there is def still improving to be done. I'm just know the skin won't go away and I'm not sure how much more butt I can get with more exercise. I also do 30 dayshred about 4x per week for 2 weeks. I'm sure it will improve just takes time.