WOULD LIKE FRIENDS WHO ALSO WEIGHT TRAIN

Options
Hi. I am 49 years old and would like to start to weight train along with my cardio. I need to start building more muscle mass. I have been told I need to lose the fat first, 36 pounds to go, but then I read where you should do both. I go to the gym and would like any advice on how to start off and what do you all do? I have been looking up articles on Internet trying to put something together for me to start off with. Should I eat more protein, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated and please send me a friend request if you would like. I need all the motivation I can get and friends who log in most days. Thanks!

Val

Replies

• RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You should definitely look into 5X5 Strong lifts for women, there is a group on mfp and also plenty of routines and info on the web. I do both lifting and cardio, mostly lifting and my cardio is usually running or biking for an hour tops.
  • vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Will do!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    By all means, feel free to add me!!!

I just started lifting again after nearly 20 years. One awesome interent site is "Bodybuilding.com".

:)
  • MikeEsq
    Options
    Strength training is a great way to exercise and build a healthier stronger body! If you enjoy it, then you should do it! Life isnt about living on the elliptical or treadmill, though those machines have a place too.

A lifting session can raise ones metabolism for hours and hours after the workout has been completed. Muscles contain glycogen, and when you have a good lifting session the glycogen stores in your muscles are depleted and you promote even more fat burning when you follow it up with a cardio session. Building stronger muscles throughout your body also increases the number of calories you can intake, slightly and slowly, but every little bit helps!

When you build up the muscles beneath the fat, you can begin to sculpt the body you like even before the fat has gone. Strength training is great, for men and women. It's just another way to build a better body and life for yourself.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    you can add me! :)
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to. I am starting 5x5 tomorrow....
  • vbarrient
    vbarrient Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!!!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I love lifting! Feel free to add!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Add away -- I love friends who lift!!
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have also started more weight training, I do both cardio and lifting, mostly running and some DVD's. I have been doing research on this as well and just bought myself some whey protein for the morning and after I lift. I definitely recommend it! Feel free to add me as well!
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and weight lifting with good results. I would be happy to have more friends for support and motivation!