Runner's Breakfasts

Options
smiley13000
smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
Hey everyone!
So I normally eat a serving of malt-o-meal in the morning and some coffee, but recently I've been questioning if that's a good breakfast of not...
I eat around 8am,and then I run at 10am. So I'm looking for some light, yet energy filled foods for breakfast.
What are all of your favorite breakfasts??
Thanks for the suggestions :)
Enjoy the run!!

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    IMO: If you're eating 2 hours before a good cardio workout, eat a good mix of simple and complex carbs. This will give you the fast energy that will help you push harder.

Coffee is also good because caffeine is the best legal performance enhancing drug in the world.

A little bit of protein is also a good ting to have.

If you're concerned about how much you're eating, I wouldn't worry to much. Don't eat an xmas meal, but a decent size won't be bad either. 2 hours is plenty of time for you to digest your food.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water, and if your run is longer than 1 hour, consider bringing a sports drink along with you. Drink 1L/hour of cardio.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i have toast with peanut butter an hour (or more) before. if i eat less than an hour before a run i end up with heartburn. i try not to drink coffee before a run too and instead i drink water.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have 2 servings of steel cut oats and 1 serving of 2% fage Yogurt about 1 hour before I go for my run. Some times I will have some rasphberries or apple or bannan along with it. Gives me carbs and protein and keeps me full till about 2 or 3 pm. I eat around 10 or 10:30 gor for my run around 11:30.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi! If I run early in the morning then I wait to eat. On those days I eat within 30 minutes of finishing my run.

If I run later in the morning, then I eat at least 1 hr before running!

My breakfast is basically the same whether eating before or after
    Water, Coffee, Yogurt, fruit, croissant, Nutella!

On special occasions I add a couple of ounces smoked salmon on the croissant,

Or on Christmas Day, or New Years Day, I will have Texas style French Toast! with powdered sugar ! Yummy !!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I normally have a piece of toast with peanutbutter and banana before a run, usually about an hour before hand. I also drink about 8 oz of water. Not too much but enough to quench my thirst and get hydration. Sometimes after a longer run, I'll eat a breakfast with protein/carbs like eggs and another piece of toast and maybe some bacon.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I like to run on an empty stomach. I make sure to eat a good dinner the night before. When I run in the morning I feel my body is in fat burning mode. As my weight is now at goal I may reconsider eating something before running, but old habits die hard!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I also have Low GI bread with peanut butter, the carbs give immediate energy and the protein and fat carry me that little bit further.
  • smiley13000
    smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
    Hope you all have a great FRIDAY! :)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Two hours is plenty of time to digest whatever you eat. I go for all carbs (oatmeal and banana) and no extra protein or fat, but I run within 30 minutes of eating. Gotta have the coffee :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    1 slice of bread, 1 slice of cheese, 1 slice of ham, 2 eggs. Stack it up in that order, add hot sauce. Of course, I don't till the evening, but that breakfast fills me up for about 4-5 hours.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I do most of my running pre-dawn so I run on an empty stomach. I drink 8 - 12 oz of water before I leave the house for my 8 miles. I eat within about 30 minutes of completing my run and usually have a large, homemade, fruit, green vegetable, banana, milk (12 oz.), and protien powder, shake.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I like to run on an empty stomach. I make sure to eat a good dinner the night before. When I run in the morning I feel my body is in fat burning mode. As my weight is now at goal I may reconsider eating something before running, but old habits die hard!

I run first thing in the morning and also don't eat before. If I have a race (they're always a lot later than I'd normally get up/run) I'll eat a banana with PB and a glass of almond milk 2 hours before.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Either toast and peanut butter or a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Empty stomach... if it's a longer run I'll eat a banana or half a protein shake.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks!
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    BANANA'S ARE A RUNNER'S BEST FRIEND.

It's true. If I were you, I'd have a banana, go run, and then have real breakfast.

oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal and brown suuuugar and a lot of fruiiiiiit...
    (that totally sounded like a song in my head)
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just bananas if I'm late, maybe a slice of granary bread and honey as well, but I will have porridge and a banana if I'm running around an hour later. I can't run on an empty stomach because I'll hypo (diabetes problem) which isn't very pleasant. I dont see the point in eating too much protein before exercise. It takes a lot longer to digest than other things and makes me feel heavier in the stomach. When I've finished the run, I'll have carbs and protein.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When I go for a workout in the morning (short run before weights) I'll typically stick with oats, fruit and coffee along with a slice of toast with whatever spread appeals to me that morning.

If I have a race in the morning, either coffee or water with toast and low-fat PB and abanana