Please Help-- Calorie Related

Options
I posted this in "general help" but I think it belongs more over here. So here it is:

People are telling me I need to be eating 2,600 calories a day, minimum. I don't fully understand how they've figured this out. I have a hard time getting to 1,500 calories a day. I am absolutely terrified that eating this much will make me gain weight. Is this right? Wrong?? Does anyone have any advice?

I am 21, 5'11'' and 285ish pounds. I am also breastfeeding. Can someone help me please? =/

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    im 5'4 140 lbs and lost 2 lbs the past two weeks eating 2200 calories.... make sure its from healthy foods you'll be fine :) just monitor your weight
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: who are the "people" who are telling you this? what are there credentials?

:flowerforyou: are you losing weight eating the way you're eating now?

:flowerforyou: are you eating only healthy food? staying away from processed foods?
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well, from what i've heard, breastfeeding can burn anywhere from 200-600 extra calories a day. So, your daily eating goal (which is your TDEE - 500 or so) plus 200-600 is where you should be eating. Try going to the doctor and see what they say. After all, you don't want to eat too little or may reduce the quality and quantity of your milk.:smile:

Edit: This is all based on what I've heard. It isn't medical advice and I'm not a professional! just some tips that may help.
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Calculating your BMR to maintain your weight you need to eat around 2100 calories if you are not active.

Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake.

So as long as you are still producing I think you should be able to eat under 2000 and be okay and lose weight while doing it. You just have to watch yourself and see how it goes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check this post out by MFPer Heliotsdan :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It gives really detailed instructions and info about your TDEE and BMR.

But you may need to talk to your doctor because you are breastfeeding. That would be the best person to get advice from in this situation.
  • JessicaEsqueda
    Options
    He's still nursing a ton and I still have a heavy letdown and a lot of milk. My little guy is a toddler now, and would definitely let me know if there wasn't enough milk. Of course, I can't see the quality of the milk to be able to tell you if the fat content is what it used to be when I ate more calories.

I am losing weight. A couple pounds this week, even. So what I'm doing is working. I've now been scared into thinking I'm eating away at my organs LOL. None of my advisors have any credentials, other than supposedly knowing about weight loss. Maybe instead of shooting for that 2,600 (yikes!) I should shoot around 2,000? 2,000 is doable.

Also, my son has allergies. We do not eat any processed food. Everything is homemade and very healthy, so that does play a part.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    The larger you are the more calories your body needs to maintain its current weight, which means you can generally eat more right off the bat and still lose because a deficit is still there. Although as you lose you will have to reduce the amount of calories you are eating because the amount your body needs to maintain will also become less.

I can't attest to how many calories are burned if you are breast feeding, but my understanding is that you really don't want to have too much of a caloric deficit to ensure the breast milk and the rest of your body is getting enough nutrients and such.

I would figure out what your TDEE is (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and just eat at maintenance until you are done breast feeding. If that really does use up that many calories, there is your deficit for weight loss right there.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What you eat, especially if you son is older, will not have an impact on the quality of your milk (except in extreams circumstances) at this age your milk should be less fat and more waterish in content.

If you are loosing weight now I would stay were you are ate and aim for healthy foods, its good to eat a lot of food sometimes. Since he is a toddler and the fat content of your milk is lower and is supposed to be it probably takes on the lower side of the 200-600 calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    But you may need to talk to your doctor because you are breastfeeding. That would be the best person to get advice from in this situation.

This ^^ And maybe ask for a referral to a registered dietician.
  • JessicaEsqueda
    Options
    What you eat, especially if you son is older, will not have an impact on the quality of your milk (except in extreams circumstances) at this age your milk should be less fat and more waterish in content.

If you are loosing weight now I would stay were you are ate and aim for healthy foods, its good to eat a lot of food sometimes. Since he is a toddler and the fat content of your milk is lower and is supposed to be it probably takes on the lower side of the 200-600 calories.

Do you think this is true even given the frequency of his feedings? I'd be interested to find out. Of course, I think that's a conversation for a lactation consultant. I will say that everything I eat DOES affect my milk significantly. He has food allergies, and if I eat, say, custard with eggs in it (did this this other day- oops!) he has an allergic reaction from drinking my milk. So I would assume that the rest of the things I eat affect my milk as well. Hmm.

I eat healthy. Little processed foods, etc. I think I'll try to cap my calorie intake around 2,000 a day and see what that does, keeping in mind that I'm exercising quite a bit.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well allergens will still come though the milk but his age and the duration of time total that you have been feeding him have the biggest impact on the overall composition of your milk. ie if you eat more fat the milk will not have more fat in it. I would definitely recommend contacting either a lactation consultant or your local la leche league group to talk to them about it. Generally speaking MDs unless the specialize and most pediatricians don't have any additional training in breastfeeding or maternal nutrition.