How often do you check in on weight and measurements

Options
How often do you guys check your weight and/or your measurements? Do you weigh in every day or once a week? Im tempted to wait until i know my clothes are getting looser before stepping on the scale. I was thinking about checking my weight once a week and my measurements every other week by trying on something I know doesn't fit yet and seeing if its any closer to fitting. Im not trying to lose fast (a pound or so a week) and im afraid if i look too often, i won't see any progress and ill quit. Ideas?

Replies

• lisabeavers
    lisabeavers Posts: 115
    Options
    How often do you guys check your weight and/or your measurements? Do you weigh in every day or once a week? Im tempted to wait until i know my clothes are getting looser before stepping on the scale. I was thinking about checking my weight once a week and my measurements every other week by trying on something I know doesn't fit yet and seeing if its any closer to fitting. Im not trying to lose fast (a pound or so a week) and im afraid if i look too often, i won't see any progress and ill quit. Ideas?
  • ecabrera
    ecabrera Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Weighing in once - twice a week is enough. I, too, am on the 1-2 lb a wk weight loss. May get discouraged to see small amount gain/loss if done daily. Have lost 7 lbs so far in 3 wks; not much; but better yet, fit into a pair of jeans I haven't fit into for two years. Haven't taken new measurements yet; I thought I'd do that after every 10 lb. loss. Slow and steady. Good luck to you.
  • haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    Sunday morning. Helps me stay focused all week and overdoing it on Saturday night!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, usually Mondays and I measure once a month. I have found that months when I don't seem to loose more than a pound my measurements are much different and months when my measurements stay nearly the same I have lost 8 lbs or so. The body is a crazy thing!

If you weigh in too often you may get discouraged, so once or twice a week at the most!

8439.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I check my weight everyday just cause I'm anal,but I don't record it. I record my weight once a week which is Sunday for me. I also measure certain parts once a week as well.

I set alil goal for myself (lose 10lbs per month) maybe that might help if you set many goals. Then you won't really have to weight in but twice a month if you can do that.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a date with the same scale, same place, same time...once a week! And I do my measurements at the beginning of each month! I find if I cheat and take a peek at the scale early it can either make me feel free from exercising or totally discourage me....your weight fluctuates so much during the day and with certain foods and drink, it's hard to be accurate when you step on the scale all the time.

Best of luck to you!
  • mzrobbie
    mzrobbie Posts: 33
    Options
    i confess . . . i weigh myself too often . . . always first thing in the morning, sometimes later in the day too, like after i've worked out or before bedtime. i've tried putting the scale away and just basing everything on how my clothes fit, but it's the one area in my life where I'm OCD.

to be honest, weighing every day is GREAT for maintenance, but it doesn't help me when i'm trying to lose weight because as soon as i see i've lost a pound or two, i tend to relax on my diet and gain it right back. (my best friend is the opposite, losing a few pounds motivates her to be stricter - so i guess it depends on the person.)

i tend to go up and down in a 7-lb range (with the two pounds on either end being the extremes for me), and i never, ever quite make it to my goal. maybe i should try putting that scale away after all . . . if i don't go crazy with curiosity!
  • lisabeavers
    lisabeavers Posts: 115
    Options
    cool, thanks for the great advice. i am worried about it going up due to holding water or something, and me seeing it and getting discouraged!

My "little" goals are rewarding myself each time my BMI drops a full point. Thats about a 7 lb lose each time. right now im just trying for 1 pound a week, but i'd like to get to the point where i can banish up to 10 lbs a month. I think the exercise is going to be a very big part of that shift, and i just have to start slow and work my weigh (tee hee) into it. :D
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    i have a horrible habit of getting on the scale everyday before i get in the shower!!!! i just canat help it!!!

39174.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    used to every day or more.

now once a week :)
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a date with the same scale, same place, same time...once a week! And I do my measurements at the beginning of each month! I find if I cheat and take a peek at the scale early it can either make me feel free from exercising or totally discourage me....your weight fluctuates so much during the day and with certain foods and drink, it's hard to be accurate when you step on the scale all the time.

Best of luck to you!

Oh- I so feel you there!

I do once a week too- Saturday mornings. I am always tempted around thursday to peek- not a good thing for me. It usually discourages me.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't do measurements - I'll do that some other time in my life, after a tummy tuck!

It would just serve to make me depressed.

My jeans work just fine.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I weigh once every two weeks, and measure once a month. I measured this morning, and have lost almost an inch in my waist and hips! :drinker: That was nice since the scale actually had me up a couple of pounds :brokenheart: What a fickle master! But I've been super active this week, burned in excess of 10,000 calories, so surely it's water or glycogen or something? Yes? :ohwell:
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wish I was able to do it once a week. I weighed my self daily.I take my measurements everyday just because I dont have a scale. now i am studying abroad and I have not touched the scale in 20days. i feel awful. And bloated :( . :sad: I want a scale and I want my fruits and veggies.... well mainly veggies.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like it :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Beware: Controversy ahead...

:laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    about every 2 or 3 weeks I check my weight. If I feel like I need to I check my waist size too. It has become a non-issue in my life though because I have come to realize, it doesn't matter what I weigh, it matters how my body feels.