Strength-training - recommended readings?

Options
I've been reading "Starting Strength" and have to say it is excellent. The information on form, volume and general training ... Well, it's a rare book that I know I'm going to re-read.

Recommended.

I've seen people rave also about NROLFW. What else is top notch?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wendler's 5/3/1. But you don't have to go there right away. It's a good program to jump to once you've milked all your "novice gains" from Starting Strength.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Saving for the link. I'm doing NROLFW and was wondering what to do when I finish.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=134

lots of good books on this site. This section is specific to strength training.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Look for the following authors:
    Jim Wendler
    Mark Rippetoe
    Dave Tate
    Louie Simmons
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Best book out there for anything barbell.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Practical Programming
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Addicted to this one as I'm in search of a change in programs every 4-6 weeks. Great input!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Wendler's 5/3/1. But you don't have to go there right away. It's a good program to jump to once you've milked all your "novice gains" from Starting Strength.

Yep I am on my last cycle of this ^^^ after having done 12 weeks of stronglifts...
  • mbryant22
    mbryant22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *bump* for future reference
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've read all of the aforementioned books and understand why they are being recommended -- they are all good.

The takeaway from all of them, once the nuances are stripped away, is that the big compound movements (deadlifts, squats, bench press etc.) performed in the 60% to 100% of 1RM range (i.e., 1 to 12 or so reps depending on the %), will make you strong and aesthetic.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump. Reading 5/3/1 now. Will probably start it Jan 2.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    As the post title says "strength" training as opposed to "weight" training specifically, I would like to offer a bodyweight exercise book; You are your own Gym.

Not saying bodyweight is superior - just why not include some bodyweight exercises into the routine - pullups for starters.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    As the post title says "strength" training as opposed to "weight" training specifically, I would like to offer a bodyweight exercise book; You are your own Gym.

Not saying bodyweight is superior - just why not include some bodyweight exercises into the routine - pullups for starters.

I think any weightlifting/strength training program should include Dips and Pull-ups/Chin-ups, even StrongLifts 5x5 which I know it doesn't. It's just my personal opinion there. StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength are very good for beginners, Wendler's 5/3/1 is good as well. One intermediate program that always gets overlooked and I don't understand why is "Westside for Skinny *kitten* 3". I think people see Westside and get intimidated thinking it includes bands, chains, and crazy exercises and it really doesn't. It follows certain principles of Westside, obviously, but it's simple and very effective.