Starvation MODE MYTH BUSTED

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Im not a professional, but the one thing that has always bothered me about the starvation mode arguement, is... How do you explain those who have the lap band and gastric bypass? Those people are only taking in between 500-800 calories a day, and they continue to lose weight until they are sticks. Why do they not go into this "starvation mode?" My 400 pound brother had the lap band, and in 1 year, lost so much weight, they had to remove it... He was eating under 1000 calories a day, and never went into stavation mode...
    Yes, but as most people know about that type of surgery, you lose weight at such a fast pace, you also lose a lot of muscle, which is why it should always be your last option. Because once you're done, you have no lean mass to support your metabolism. Starvation mode, doesn't necessarily mean you're not losing weight, it means that you're losing lean muscle as well as fat. Hence the reason to only lose 1-2lbs per week, otherwise you start losing lean body mass.

Muscle isn't that hard to gain back though. There is a fairly large segment of the medical community beginning to argue for weight loss surgery sooner rather than later because of its ability to reverse diseases such as diabetes, once thought to be irreversible.

It is very hard to gain back, especially for women.

If you are talking gaining muscle as in bodybuilding then, yeah, that takes dedication and a lot of effort. But if you are talking average muscle composition, it's not hard.

I am talking about it as in 'gaining muscle'. Gaining muscle is gaining muscle. I do not understand the differentiation (except with may be the desired amount being different). The physiological process is the same.

Right. Medical professionals are concerned about asthetics, they are concerned about disease. And a thin person doesn't need as much muscle as a heavy person, so losing some is okay. But even with muscle atrophy once that person starts using the muscle the muscle will build back up quickly.

What does your answer have to do with the topic above? Where has anyone said that people who are in an unhealthy body fat range should not focus on losing weight? And the muscle building up quickly after atrophy is nueromuscluar adaptations - not mass gains.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Im not a professional, but the one thing that has always bothered me about the starvation mode arguement, is... How do you explain those who have the lap band and gastric bypass? Those people are only taking in between 500-800 calories a day, and they continue to lose weight until they are sticks. Why do they not go into this "starvation mode?" My 400 pound brother had the lap band, and in 1 year, lost so much weight, they had to remove it... He was eating under 1000 calories a day, and never went into stavation mode...
    Yes, but as most people know about that type of surgery, you lose weight at such a fast pace, you also lose a lot of muscle, which is why it should always be your last option. Because once you're done, you have no lean mass to support your metabolism. Starvation mode, doesn't necessarily mean you're not losing weight, it means that you're losing lean muscle as well as fat. Hence the reason to only lose 1-2lbs per week, otherwise you start losing lean body mass.

Muscle isn't that hard to gain back though. There is a fairly large segment of the medical community beginning to argue for weight loss surgery sooner rather than later because of its ability to reverse diseases such as diabetes, once thought to be irreversible.

If muscle is so easy to gain back, what is the process for doing that?

Eating and using the muscle.

Eating at a deficit, maintenance or a surplus? And what is the optimum rate a woman can gain muscle tissue under ideal conditions?

I would imagine it depends on the woman.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    by the way OP you dont look like a personal trainer.

this is 1 year after i got certified maybe 2yrs.

IMG_20110504_141504600x452.jpg

Point is, it's pretty dumb to judge someone's education based on appearance.

dude, your pretty hot for a guy, nice smile
  • bcattoes
    Options

If you are talking gaining muscle as in bodybuilding then, yeah, that takes dedication and a lot of effort. But if you are talking average muscle composition, it's not hard.

I am talking about it as in 'gaining muscle'. Gaining muscle is gaining muscle. I do not understand the differentiation (except with may be the desired amount being different). The physiological process is the same.

Right. Medical professionals are concerned about asthetics, they are concerned about disease. And a thin person doesn't need as much muscle as a heavy person, so losing some is okay. But even with muscle atrophy once that person starts using the muscle the muscle will build back up quickly.

What does your answer have to do with the topic above? Where has anyone said that people who are in an unhealthy body fat range should not focus on losing weight? And the muscle building up quickly after atrophy is nueromuscluar adaptations - not mass gains.

?? I don't recall anyone saying people who are in an unhealthy body fat range should not focus on losing weight. At least not in this thread. The topic I replied to was bariatric surgery.
  • barbi1281
    Options
    You know... starvation mode. I hate that term because it gets tossed about so willy-nilly, like 'love" and other words like that.

I just can't believe that if your body has an excessive amount of stored, easily broken down fuel, it'll get anywhere near your muscles, bones, or *gasp!* your own brain cells! I just can't believe it.

A blogger I know who had some kind of gastric bypass surgery was told by her doctor that she shouldn't eat less than 900-1200 calories a day so she could have room for her nutritional requirements, which obviously include macro and micro nutrients. So, I agree with Dana; people who eat too few calories are highly susceptible to malnutrition, not the body turning against itself.

Not that I expect anyone to agree with me, though obviously some here do. My spelling is attrocious, especially through my smartphone, and my IQ has tested only slightly higher than mildly regressed (a point of alarm for me, I assure you.).

Oh, and also, from a documentary I watched following a group of men and women at 500+ lbs each who got gastric bypass surgery: before you put anything in your mouth, make d***ed sure you've got your protein.... I can't imagine this was a suggestion aimed toward anything other than preventing malnutrition. Calories weren't even mentioned.

I can't believe I read through all these posts but I did and this one is the one that made the most sense LOL. I actually am a surgery patient and I regularly take in far less than 1200 calories a day and my surgeon and my primary care doctor said I'm doing great. This poster is right... it's not about calories - it's about protein and nutrition. Most days I eat/drink about 500-600 calories a day but I always eat protein first, I supplement protein, and I take vitamin supplements. As well, I track to make sure that I don't become malnourished. I've only hit one stall for two weeks and you can see my ticker to see my progress (I've been losing since late September - my surgery was in mid October). I'm never tired from the lack of calories and I feel physically better than I ever have because nearly everything I put in my mouth is quality food instead of junk food.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

?? I don't recall anyone saying people who are in an unhealthy body fat range should not focus on losing weight. At least not in this thread. The topic I replied to was bariatric surgery.

You replied to my comment that it is hard to gain muscle, then started on about aesthetics - which was my point exactly - it was not relevant to the discussion.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Eating at a deficit, maintenance or a surplus? And what is the optimum rate a woman can gain muscle tissue under ideal conditions?

And that is exactly what that would be. Your imagination. You are attempting to speak with authority on a subject that you are completely unversed. Do some research on exactly what it take from a nutritional, and physiological point of view to gain muscle. It is not easy and it varies little from woman to woman. Flip comments about how it's not that hard to gain back muscle are misinformed at best. Just not true.
  • bcattoes
    Options

You replied to my comment that it is hard to gain muscle, then started on about aesthetics - which was my point exactly - it was not relevant to the discussion.

Okay. Hard and easy are subjective so I will concede the point.
  • bcattoes
    Options

And that is exactly what that would be. Your imagination. You are attempting to speak with authority on a subject that you are completely unversed. Do some research on exactly what it take from a nutritional, and physiological point of view to gain muscle. It is not easy and it varies little from woman to woman. Flip comments about how it's not that hard to gain back muscle are misinformed at best. Just not true.

I'm a woman, I don't consider it hard. But as I said to another post, I'll not hijack the thread to argue the point since "hard" is subjective.
  • tartengirl
    tartengirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    People are so rude it blows my mind. This site is about people helping people. If they don't like what one person has so kindly taken a moment to share then they should move on!!!

This is exactly what I was thinking!!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you eat absolutely nothing you body will steal the essential amino acids it needs from your muscles, including your heart. Yes, if you do that long enough you die. And yes, if you were fat enough to start with then you die of starvation while fat.

BUT . . . if you eat/drink some protein every day, and nothing else, your body will utilize those protein chains to get your essential amino acids and leave your muscle alone. Provided that you have enough fat to supply it with it's energy needs for the day as well. Once you lose the fat and get fairly lean then your body will start to cannibalize itself for energy, not amino acids.

SO . . . if you weight 300 lbs and are eating 1000 calories a day, you are not in "starvation" mode. You are not going to die. Starvation mode does exist, but not nearly as commonly as people claim.

Create a calorie deficit, lift heavy things, eat some complete protein, and wait.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/?page=1
    http://edwardshapard.com/arete/health/patient-on-longest-fast-ever-loses-276-pounds-in-382-days/
    http://www.abahe.co.uk/b/Fitness-and-Nutrition/nutrition/Macronutrients/Essential-Amino-Acids.pdf

ETA - Some links.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    by the way OP you dont look like a personal trainer.
    Never knew you had to look a certain way to get an education. Maybe you should read my profile before judging. My certification is on there too btw. Some people are so narrow minded. Do I look like I have an IQ of 199, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, a brown belt in Shotokan Karate, I used to play baseball, football, and basketball? Probably not, but hey, I guess we all have to look the part don't we. SMDH

I like the part about the IQ of 199 LOLZ .... my 8 year old cousin has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do
  • viktoriaakills
    Options

Yeah eat the muscle

this got me.. im glad i wasn't drinking anything at the time or there would be a lovely mess to clean up... and this is a school computer :$
  • nicoledoss72
    nicoledoss72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to people encouraging people, all I read for the most part are people attacking each other.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I like the part about the IQ of 199

Because 200 would have sounded ridiculous
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Hmmm what happens when we are sleeping? :wink:

EUREKA!!!
  • astrummortis
    astrummortis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Barbi: awesome! I'm glad my low IQ isn't disrupting my reasoning capabilities. ;)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Yeah eat the muscle

muscles yuk is that those chewy seafood things, by the way i cant eat anything with bones either ....... just thought id say.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    lots of misinformation going on here folks. u have to eat every 3hrs??? come on son!
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    lots of misinformation going on here folks. u have to eat every 3hrs??? come on son!
    Please tell me you didn't expect differently.....:) I mean it is a starvation mode thread....