Deadlifts

Options
13»

Replies

• thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I understand using a belt if its 5 rep max, but I can pick up 315 over and over and over, just not sure how to make sure my lower back stays completely flat in the bottom, I dont want to increase weight until I can manage that. Once I get the wieght up 4 inches or so, my back flattens out.

Im against a belt right now because im not in a max weight situation, and my understanding is that a belt lets you push harder, so if you do injure yourself, if you a wearing a belt you are more likely to sustain a worse injury, is that correct?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Work on your mobility/flexibility..In particular focus on ankle, hip, and thoracic spine mobility..In the mean time you can shorten the ROM by doing rack DL or lifting off blocks until you can work your way back down to the floor and pull with out flexing your lumbar spine.

sumo pulls keep your back at a more optimal angle w/ less shearing forces too I believe.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    this convo is very useful ,thank you, sorry working 14hr shifts all weekend so can't contribute properly :(
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Romanian Deadlift video

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/romanian-deadlift

how to do them correctly
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm going to read this thread later for more form tips.
  • EmiVReyes
    EmiVReyes Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • sullrico18
    sullrico18 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I typically don't like to use a belt until I get to the very heaviest weights I do. The belt assist a bit in your core not forcing you to exert as much force through your core. It is necessary for safety once you get into weights that you can do 5 or less of. Otherwise I don't like to use one so I can build my core strength even more on the lift. Is this the way you guys see it as well?

I can see what you're getting at. But if your back is starting to round, then you're at those "heaviest weights" and need to start thinking about belting up or adjusting your form.
    I do my lighter sets of squats and deads without a belt, but after 75% or so, the belt stays on.

The belt is actually making you push out hard with your abs to stabilize your body, so I wouldn't say it's cheating you out of core work. Guys who squat 800 pounds with a belt don't have weak abs, and I'd argue that handling heavier weights in the squat = stronger abs in the long run. Either way, that's what assistance work is for. If your abs are holding you back, hit them hard.

Yes. Wendler, Simmons, and Tate have all discussed how much ab work they actually do in the gym. A lot more than most people realize. The whole just do the compound exercises for ab work doesn't really fly in the longrun.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybOaJu-Tgbw

As for the last part, be careful doing that because his form his rough. But of course he his lifting 3x his weight which is an elite athletic skill and I would like to see anyone lift more than 3 times their bodyweight with textbook perfect form. It is not going to happen! It is meant as an inspiration.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Yes. Wendler, Simmons, and Tate have all discussed how much ab work they actually do in the gym. A lot more than most people realize. The whole just do the compound exercises for ab work doesn't really fly in the longrun.

This is interesting to me because I stopped doing abs when I started doing Stronglifts because I assumed, like a lot of people said, that squats and deadlifts were sufficient for core work. I lost a lot of definition.
    I have since added back stuff like situps with a 25 lb plate on my chest and various plank styles, and it's coming back.

I do think it is "sufficient" to a point, if you are one of those people who "just want a toned flat tummy and think abs are yucky", but I want the visible abs and V, so it's going to take more (and of course, tuning in proper diet, after all "abs/kitchen blahblah.." we all know it...)
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts may look like simple movements, but there is an acute science behind the deadlift.

Look at this video

Elliott Hulse: How To Deadlift (the science of Dead Lifting)

http://youtu.be/NdjuX-GRby8
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am an American living in Denmark and I am a member of a gym here. I have been wanting to get into weight training more seriously and have done some free weights and machines in the meantime. I wish I wasn't so intimidated to do it when all the buff guys are around. Haha, plus I don't know what a deadlift and squat is in Danish. I might have to look it up so I can get someone to help me. I wish I could get over myself a little bit. What about the machine that you lift your entire weight laying down? I read somewhere that is like a squat. I am also afraid of injuring myself and without some assistance I might just do so. I do want to do it though and that is the next step on this journey, I just have to jump in. Any advice on lifting would be lovely, you can pm me.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good info - thanks!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options

agreed. form needs to be the priority.

herniate a disk?

Not quite but almost. My L4 and L5 vertebrae are highly stressed to the point where my lower spine has zero movement. All the movement whenever bend over or lean all comes from my upper back.
    If I'm just walking, I can barely feel it but sitting or standing for long periods of time... the pain in my lower back starts screaming
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's very simple,but extremely effective.

If you are finding it 'easy' then yeah, it's time to put more weight on the bar.

There are probably 10000 articles on the internet about how to deadlift, this is a pretty good video if I remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

This video is so useful!