favorite fat free salad dressing?

I once had an amazing Fat Free Ranch which was the Walmart brand - better than Hidden Valley Ranch! - but last night I went and they were out. Anyone have favorite Fat Free salad dressings? Thankya!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Watch out for fat free dressings. Besides having a questionable ingredient list filled with things I can't pronounce, they add loads of sugar (or sugar substitute) and sodium to make up for the lack of flavor due to the missing fat. I find it much tastier to use less of the full fat or light stuff. You can always thin out the creamy full fat dressings with a little water or milk to make them coat better but still use less.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    1.Raspberry walnut vinagrete
    2.Caesar with olive oil dressing
    3.French
  • Why not make your own dressing of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Mrs. Dash, a pinch of Splenda, crushed garlic, onion powder. Mix in a small jar, keep in the fridge. Tastes great, fat free, and is cheap and better for you.
  • Watch out for fat free dressings. Besides having a questionable ingredient list filled with things I can't pronounce, they add loads of sugar (or sugar substitute) and sodium to make up for the lack of flavor due to the missing fat. I find it much tastier to use less of the full fat or light stuff. You can always thin out the creamy full fat dressings with a little water or milk to make them coat better but still use less.

I second what he said. Aim for low fat or google and make your own dressing from scratch. I tend to stick with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Pepperoncini juice.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Malt vinegar, pinch of salt and lots of ground pepper works for me.
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    I don't have a good fat free because I tend to agree with the other poster's regarding FF, however, a great option is Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. They are in the refrigerated section and they have several varieties. Low cal and very tasty. My favorite in the Blue Cheese.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    I like my salads completely naked!
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Fat free is a no no for me. If they're taking the fat out then the chances are they are putting something far worse in it's place! Fat is natural and OK in small amounts and there are GOOD fats out there.
    I make a salad dressing using 3 parts extra virgin olive oil with one part white balsammic vinegar, a squeeze of lemo, a bit of mustard and a pich of salt and pepper. U can add chilli or garlic as well... tasty, healthy and low fat. THe fat in olive oil is good fat that your body needs. People tend to think fat free means healthy but it doesn't ... just eat the right fats :-)
  • khoshma
    khoshma Posts: 9 Member
    wow eveyrone here just blew my mind!!! thanks soooo much, i love everyones replies! I will def be going with the light and staying away from fat free...now that u guys bring it up, it totes magotes makes sense. thanks so much guys!!!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    I don't have a good fat free because I tend to agree with the other poster's regarding FF, however, a great option is Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. They are in the refrigerated section and they have several varieties. Low cal and very tasty. My favorite in the Blue Cheese.
    I use Bolthouse Farms also, their Raspberry Merlot Vinaigrette is awesome
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 143 Member
    Watch out for fat free dressings. Besides having a questionable ingredient list filled with things I can't pronounce, they add loads of sugar (or sugar substitute) and sodium to make up for the lack of flavor due to the missing fat. I find it much tastier to use less of the full fat or light stuff. You can always thin out the creamy full fat dressings with a little water or milk to make them coat better but still use less.

I third this quote!
    I gave up fat-free products including salad dressings over 10 yrs ago!
    Try and use regular dressings(good fats), just less of them!
    I like virgin coconut oil(1/2 tsp) or olive oil, drizzled. They give good flavor and are "good" fats in small quantities. Add whatever spices after that you may want.
    The "rage" is different flavors of vinegars! Try a couple and find a favorite! They have no calories at all usually!:smile:
  • I like the Kraft Catalina in light or fat free.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    I make all of my own dressings. For fat free:

Fresh pico de gallo
    Salsa
    Lemon juice, garlic and cilantro
    Balsamic vinegar
    Just salt and pepper

My favorites are about half olive oil and half citrus

Also, if you are adding protein to your salad, heavily spiced do not always need additional dressing - I.e. taco meat or curry rubbed chicken.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I just log the raw bacon and use the rendered fat to mix my caesar dressing. :laugh:
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    I make fresh beets in the pressure cooker,
    then take the water, and mix it with Good
    Seasons Italian Seasoning, and balsamic...
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    1.Raspberry walnut vinagrete
    2.Caesar with olive oil dressing
    3.French

call me slow but how can anything with the word "oil" in it be fat free?????
  • Watch out for fat free dressings. Besides having a questionable ingredient list filled with things I can't pronounce, they add loads of sugar (or sugar substitute) and sodium to make up for the lack of flavor due to the missing fat. I find it much tastier to use less of the full fat or light stuff. You can always thin out the creamy full fat dressings with a little water or milk to make them coat better but still use less.
    ^^^^^this^^^^^^
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    I don't believe there is such a thing as "healthy" oils. Fats should be consumed in or close to their natural state, rather than processed and stripped of fiber and nutrients. It's better to eat an olive than olive oil.

Many posters have touched upon the best alternative, which is to make your own dressing from natural ingredients at home. In a pinch, or when I am missing some ingredients, I like Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Honey Dijon dressing. It does have sugar, but it's free from HFCS.

http://www.maplegrove.com/product_detail.asp?pid=20
  • dearly4ever
    dearly4ever Posts: 61 Member
    italian dressing or bolthouse
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Aldi Fat Free Zesty Italian
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I like the Kraft Catalina in light or fat free.

^^^My favorite