Want to get off of this low calorie diet

Options
I am worried about eating a small amount of calories for such a long time. I have been on a Dr. supervised low calorie diet for 10 weeks now. In that time I have lost 30 lbs and 6% BF. The closer I get to my 'old self' the more I realize that I MUST make this permanent. I have to avoid regaining any of the weight I put on in recent years. I don't need to be a fitness model, I just want to look and feel normal again. (Normal to me means the way I have looked most of my adult life. It only took me 5 years to go from 130 lbs to 196 lbs. Now I am on the way back down.)

I have read about the safest, most sustainable ways to lose weight and I know I need to increase my calorie intake. I don't want to slow my metabolism. I spoke with the Dr. last week and she said they will keep me on the same plan until I reach my goal weight, then do a 'transition period' then teach me how to maintain. She also said most patients gain 10 lbs the first year of maintenance. (???) Gaining is not maintaining. I think it might be better to start upping my calories now and avoid the 10 pound gain. I think I should increase my food a little at a time until I am in the 'healthy' calorie deficit range. Maybe add 100 cal every week.

So my question to you all is this; would it be better to slowly up my calories, or start eating the 1200 cal MFP recommends immediately? How slowly or quickly should I go about this? Will I gain weight at first? Or should I just listen to the Dr. and keep to the plan?

If you want more specifics,
I am 5' 4" tall with a medium build. I weigh 159.6 as of this morning.
I am barely active other than 20 minutes of exercise 3 - 5 times a week. I am at 35% body fat.
The Doc has me eating daily:
10 oz lean protein
2 tbs nuts or legumes
4 servings veggies
2 servings fruit
Plus daily supplements and weekly vitamin injections
This adds up to 600- 900 calories depending on how lean the protein is.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm quite fond of listening to my Dr....you know, the one with all of that medical training and whatnot.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor told you why he's having you eat so little?

I eat fairly low cal, usually between 1200-1500 cals a day but I would seriously be in constant hulk rage mode with that little food.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Holy low calories Batman!

If you're concerned, I would ask for a second opinion or a referral to a nutritionist.

And there is a lot of research that shows that vlcd can be harmful in the long run.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of listening to your doctor too, but man that's a REALLY low calorie diet. I'm at 1200 net (I don't always eat all my exercise calories back) and I don't think I could go any lower than that (I'm 5'2"). If I were you, I'd follow the advice of my doctor and be ultra careful when I start maintaining.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new doctor. Why in the world does he have you on such low calories? :noway:
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sounds like its time for a second opinion time from another DOCTOR!
  • aclowe01
    aclowe01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I won't say that you shouldn't listen to your Dr. but I believe in making any weight loss plan something you can live with. Ask yourself, “What are you going to do when you get there?” Can you maintain that lifestyle after the weight is gone? My wife and I are on the 'Eat, Clean Diet' and it's not really a diet since this is how we are going to eat when we reach our goal weight. A lot of good it does if you’re eating low calories but still consuming lots of chemicals and preservatives. My wife has lost over 80 lb and I’ve lost 73 since April eating this way. There is no maintenance or change when we reach our goal. Research the ‘ Eat, Clean lifestyle’ and talk to your Dr. about this way of eating.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I think you need to accept that:

1. You need to increase your calories and eat at maintenance or higher for a certain amount of time (at least 4-6 weeks, maybe longer)

2. You will gain some weight doing this. It's just part of the process and "repairing" the damage you've done. Try not to weight yourself during this time period.

3. You can't cut calories like that after you gain weight because you feel fat. Or you'll repeat this cycle over again. Start over with a moderate calorie deficit, 15-20% below TDEE.

4. You need to start working on how you treat yourself and your body. This is mostly a mental process, and there are many ways to go about it. It's just about finding what works for you.

5. You should probably lift weights. Heavy. Seriously. Lift weights.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

^ This group (Eat More to Weigh Less) will be a good resource for you.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Is what you're doing working? Do you feel ok? If yes then continue. Your body will tell you if it's unhappy. If you want to eat more then just offset it with exercise. You should be exercising anyways.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to say other than it seems awefully low to me as well. I'm seeing a nutritionist and I'm allowed up to 1700 calories. I never eat that much and he's never complained when I show him my print outs of what I eat from MFP. You may want a second opinion, I know I would if that was happening to me. It's rare (I can't even think of the last time) that I've gotten below 1100 calories.

Good luck to you!

Oh, I forgot to post my stats, because I know I'm a bit different than you:
    5'6" large build 225 (I started at 256).
    I average 1500 calories a day right now and I don't work out other then walk my dogs for 45 min to a hour.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm sorta stunned a doctor would make such an aggressive weight loss plan for someone with so little (relatively speaking) to lose.

I am glad you're considering what to do for the long run. I'd hate to see you do all of this and then re-gain the weight.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I went in, I had a 40.8% bodyfat. That qualified me for the obese persons weight loss program. (That isn't actually what they call it) This Dr. has a family practice with two other Doctors and she is known for her comprehensive weight loss program. I specifically went to see her to help me lose the weight.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm quite fond of listening to my Dr....you know, the one with all of that medical training and whatnot.

Yeah...when it comes to medical matters, he/she is the expert...When it comes to nutrition, not so much...It's a ridiculously low calorie diet - I would add a 100 cals a day (in good stuff) for a week, then 200 until you get to at least 1200...then stay there for a while and see what happens...
    And a second opinion (from a nutritionist) might be a good idea.... Good luck!

Whoa!! I just looked at your profile - if that's you in the December 2012 pic with 161 lbs, run away from that "doctor" as fast as you can...You weigh only 161 and she has you on a starvation diet???? Seriously start adding more cals of good food slowly...
  • _granola
    Options
    Is what you're doing working? Do you feel ok? If yes then continue. Your body will tell you if it's unhappy. If you want to eat more then just offset it with exercise. You should be exercising anyways.

No.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase the amount you eat as you get to your goal. Stay with the protein/nuts/veggies/fruit, just larger portions. You'll be surprised how much you can eat without gaining, as long as you're careful not to add back a bunch of bread, pasta, sweets, and other refined junk. Small amounts of low-glycemic carbs. You'll have to experiment to find what, and how much, your body will tolerate.
  • _granola
    Options
    When I went in, I had a 40.8% bodyfat. That qualified me for the obese persons weight loss program. (That isn't actually what they call it) This Dr. has a family practice with two other Doctors and she is known for her comprehensive weight loss program. I specifically went to see her to help me lose the weight.

Both in my experience and in my opinion, many doctors are not trained in weight loss or nutrition. It's not required for them. They are trained to identify problems (illness, disease) and find a solution that is quick and effective. The problem is that with obesity and weight loss, those quick solutions are effective for a short amount of time or effective only for a small amount of people. For others, these "solutions" are short-lived, unsustainable, and miserable.

You really can eat healthy foods and treats you enjoy, eat enough to keep you sane, full, and provide adequate nutrition, and find exercise programs that are effective and enjoyable. It's possible.

Any doctor who recommends such low calories should be questioned, if only for the fact that 600-900 calories a day does not provide adequate nutrition for life and health. Get a second opinion from a dietitian.
  • aedavidson79
    aedavidson79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    About four years ago I needed to lose a lot of weight and went to a doctor to do so; similar to what you described. In addition to vitamin injections I also was prescribed Phentermine which killed my appetite and made it possible for me to stick to a very low calorie diet. I lost a ton of weight – going from 198 to 154. When I did stop taking the Phentermine my appetite came back in full swing and I quickly regained about 10 lbs. Then, I slowly regained, over time, nearly all the weight back.

You didn’t mention that you are taking an appetite suppressant but I am curious if you are? If not, I can imagine it would be very hard to stick to such a low caloric intake.

Anyway, after about four or five months when I reached the 150’s I stopped taking the Phentermine b/c I no longer needed to lose any more weight. By then my hair started falling out and I started getting a rash on my scalp. Also, my blood pressure went up and my thyroid stopped working normally. After seeing another doctor (primary care), I learned that the prolonged low calorie diet was to blame.

I think you are wise to be asking the question - how will this affect your health?

This time around, I am losing the weight slowly as I hope to have long-lasting results. For me, this means learning to feed myself in a healthy and balanced way; I sought the counsel of a nutritionist who has assisted me. And, of couse, including regular exercise.

I hope this has helped. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • aedavidson79
    aedavidson79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Both in my experience and in my opinion, many doctors are not trained in weight loss or nutrition. It's not required for them. They are trained to identify problems (illness, disease) and find a solution that is quick and effective. The problem is that with obesity and weight loss, those quick solutions are effective for a short amount of time or effective only for a small amount of people. For others, these "solutions" are short-lived, unsustainable, and miserable.

You really can eat healthy foods and treats you enjoy, eat enough to keep you sane, full, and provide adequate nutrition, and find exercise programs that are effective and enjoyable. It's possible.

Any doctor who recommends such low calories should be questioned, if only for the fact that 600-900 calories a day does not provide adequate nutrition for life and health. Get a second opinion from a dietitian.

I completely agree. I would seek the assistance of a dietitian.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

^^ This. Check out my pictures in my profile to see results following IPOARM, eating good and doing strength exercises.