lifting weights

Options
how many days a week do you lift heavy weights.Do you lift them alone without cardio or combine. What's been your routine for fat loss.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    how many days a week do you lift heavy weights.
    > 3 to 6
    Do you lift them alone without cardio or combine.
    > Alone. Cardio earlier in the day or off days
    What's been your routine for fat loss.
    > Eating less calories
  • jessicaw79
    jessicaw79 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump....curious about this as well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lift three times a week. Big fan of Stronglifts. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I run two to three times a week, on non-lifting days. Usually about 3-7 miles each time, so about 10-15 miles a week.

I'm just looking to maintain right now, but when I do try to lose, I stick with a very small deficit... only about 200-300 below my TDEE.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    4 days a week
    I lift with enough intensity that I don't require cardio. If you do cardio, do it AFTER weights or on a different day.
    Fat loss is 90% diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    lift 4x week
    cardio 0-2 times a week
    calorie deficit, not exercise, for fat loss
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week - Upper body x3, Lower Body x2. I do 1 day of cardio a week. I will sometimes throw in an Ab workout on Cardio day but that's it. On weekends if I have time, I'll do cardio in the AM & lifting in the PM. I have never done one right after the other on the same day. Can't imagine finding the energy to do a decent cardio workout after an hour of intense lifting.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Generally 5 times:
    Chest, back, shoulders, legs, arms
    Sometimes 4 times:
    Chest and tris, shoulders, legs, back and bis

No cardio

"1- Eat small and often: Yes, it's obvious, but it still amazes us how many people think fewer meals are better. Less food in general- perhaps, but you've got to keep the metabolism ticking over with fuel to burn the excess.
    2- Train with weights, but rest less: Tried and tested for many competitive drug free body builders. Forget about hours of cardio and turn your weights into an anaerobic AND aerobic session. Bring rest periods down to 30 seconds and ramp the reps up to 12-15.
    3- Hours of cardio will make you look.........like you do hours of cardio! Who do you want to look like: Mo Farrah or David Haye? Haye does short burst, explosive work, Farrah will run for hours...do the maths.
    4- Use a Thermogenic: Good thermogenics aren't the answer, but they are part of the answer. Use one serving 30 minutes before your workouts and potentially you'll shift some more stored fuel (Fat)
    5- Fats don't make you fat: 10 years ago, if you were told to eat fat to lose fat, athletes would have looked at you like you were crazy. Now we generally recognise that a higher fat diet, along with good amounts of protein and quality carbohydrates, may help you along the way. Good examples of the fats to eat are: Flaxseed oil, fish oil, eggs, oily fish, nuts etc..." PhD Nutrition Facebook page
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    4 days a week, each day has a specific lift that I work on at 1-5 reps along with hypertrophy-range (6-12) accessory work.

Bench Press - Chest/Triceps
    Deadlift - Back
    Overhead Press - Shoulders/Biceps
    Squat - Legs

I do some HIIT on off-days, however I never do it on the day before deadlifts or squats though.