fat calories burned vs. calories burned?

Options
pipinana
pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
Morning everyone!

So, I got a heart rate monitor and used it for the first time this morning. I'm confused though now on calories burned. I've been working out on my elliptical, and going off the calories burned and inputting it into my diary here. There are two categories on my elliptical for calories burned. FAT CALORIES (@ 20 minutes it's around 80) burned and CALORIES (@ 20 minutes it's around 300)burned. For the past year I've been going off the regular calories burned. When I used my HRM today though, it mirrored the FAT calories burned... Like 1/4 of what I have been going off of. So, now I'm confused. What number should I be using? Have I been over eating all this time? LOL

Also, I worked out to the 30 day shred. I had been guesstimating that I burn about 200 calories on it, and I was pretty much right on. HRM said 220...

Hope someone can clarify!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• jwcrater31
    Options
    use ur calories burned.
  • pipinana
    Options
    so then don't follow the HRM? Because that matches the fat calories burned....
  • pipinana
    Options
    no one can help me here??
    i guess i'll post this question on the web, maybe someone else knows.
  • eliseswietek
    Options
    I would go with the fewer caloies burned...think about it, that way you know you not over eating and if your eating less your making a deficit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    You weigh roughly the same as me..on the elliptical I burn @650 calories/hour at level 7. So if you're doing about that then 300 is more accurate. If you're going real slow on level 1 then 80 is more accurate ;)
  • amanda89
    amanda89 Posts: 19
    Options
    80 caloreies burned seems to low for 20 minutes
  • pipinana
    Options
    Thanks girls, appreciate it! I'll go w/ the regular calories burned... Seem to have hit a road block the last couple of months that's why I thought I may have been putting the wrong amount of calories in... I'll just keep plugging away!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    wait, are you sure your HRM is configured correctly? 80 calories is probably unrealistic for 20 minutes of exercise. Considering you probably burn about 40 to 45 calories for 20 minutes at rest. I would check your HRM and make sure it's configured correctly, and also make sure that it's recording your heart rate correctly the whole time.

I.E. it's not registering 0 for a portion of the workout. I've seen that happen before to people.
  • pipinana
    Options
    wait, are you sure your HRM is configured correctly? 80 calories is probably unrealistic for 20 minutes of exercise. Considering you probably burn about 40 to 45 calories for 20 minutes at rest. I would check your HRM and make sure it's configured correctly, and also make sure that it's recording your heart rate correctly the whole time.

I.E. it's not registering 0 for a portion of the workout. I've seen that happen before to people.

I'll check it out tonight, Banks. That's probably it, since I just set it up this morning, still half asleep, haha.

Thanks! :)