It made me sad

Options
I have lost 16 pound and I can really see it in my face and I think it is great. So today I seen someone I have not seen in a long time and you know what she said to be. Maggie your face looks so thin have you been sick. My heart just kinda melted that is not what I thought I would hear first when someone noticed my weight lose.

Replies

• Kenie01
    Options
    I think it's a sighn that they are a good friend.
    Instead of caring about your looks,
    they worry about your health.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't take their perception of you as a negitive. My wife has lost well over 100 lbs and one of her friends can't be convinced that she is healthier now. She says she thinks my wife looks ill but out of all of our friends and family, she is the only one who feels that way.

Don't be sad, be healthy.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt... You are doing so great and glad we are friends...
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Some people hesitate to congratulate people about losing weight because that person might be sick. I think it was caring to ask if you were okay and THEN get all excited when you said, "No, I've lost weight."

I do lose quite a bit of weight from my face when I'm sick - my cheeks get hollow and grey-ish - so a couple of my friends did ask if I'd had the flu. :) I told them I'd lost 20 pounds or whatever it was back then, and they said, "Oh my gosh! That's fabulous! Your face has changed so much. I'm glad you aren't sick!"
  • adamsleeps
    Options
    My weight loss and muscle gains are for myself. You've bettered your life, congratulations :) , it shouldn't be important that someone has the inability to distinguish healthy dieting from a serious illness. Keep it real, stay healthy gurl
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I had the same reaction when the first comment I got on my weight loss was "are you doing OK? You look really worn out" When really I had lost 25lbs and my face was just thinner. As you get farther along in your journey (if you need to I can't tell because you don't have a ticker) People will start seeing it for what it is, and the real compliments will come.
    hang in there!
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well done for losing the weight !!! It take's time for people to adjust, but they will !
  • muchmoretolove
    muchmoretolove Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt... You are doing so great and glad we are friends...

this is one of my most favourite quotes!
  • carameldownsized
    carameldownsized Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i cant wait to someone notices my weight loss but i hope they don't come off and say it that way!!!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think what happened between you and your friend was probably just that your friend was surprised to see such a difference, and either didn't know how to "come back" after finding out you were healthy, or didn't realize this comment hurt you. Still, sorry it happened to you.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that a lot, too. It's not personal, people don't believe it's possible to actually lose weight healthily anymore!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

this is one of my most favourite quotes!

I dislike this quote also. Glad I am not the only one.
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Some people hesitate to ask someone if they had lost weight, because they think they may be insulting the person by insinuating that they needed to lose weight. Everyone gets sick now and then, so that is a "safer" question to ask. Keep up the great work.