When you're sick...

Just wondering what everyone does when they are sick or not feeling too well?? I have been sick a lot in the past year with numerous colds and flu, varying in severity, with the worst being a super serious case of pneumonia that had me in the hospital for a week and off work for 2 months :sad:

It seems every time I get extra motivated to work out, I get sick. I had a flu last week, and now this week I have a cold.
Im sick of it!! So I haven't done much in the last 2 weeks.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone still exercises when they are sick, or do you rest and take it easy? I personally take it easy as I fear ending up in the hospital again!!

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    if it's just a head cold, go for a walk. If it feels like it's in the chest, rest.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Flu shot?
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    I read somewhere (sorry cannot remember where :/) that if you have aches/chills and/or a fever, skip it. If it is a cold, go for it.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    A few weeks ago I had a fever on heavy leg day... I somehow worked through it but it was the most dreadful experience ever lol
    Pretty much couldn't do anything else for the rest of the day though
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    maybe some extra vitamins? Like lemon (fresh and raw) and sauna to sweat it all out!
    Maybe ask your doctor if you can add some supplements to help!
    If its in the chest, rest!
    with a cold a slow walk, extra warm clothes, good luck, hope you feel better soon!
  • I've been pretty sick since Tuesday; chills, mild fever, coughing, headache, sore throat, mucus. I didn't exercise at all: I know my body and I know resting and drinking fluids would be better for me than forcing my tired and ill body outside to walk for a mile in the cold.

If you feel like you can, do it. If you feel like you can't, don't. You know your body, not us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It depends, if I just have a case of the sniffles, it's usually business as usual. If I'm actually sick, I take it easy...my body needs the energy to make itself well.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    I work out to tolerance If I can't tolerate it, I don't do it. I'm sick as a dog right now and I skipped today's workout.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    I don't have a cold or flu, but I am extra tired today and headachy. I skipped exercise today and decided to rest. I did get my flu shot back in Sept and take vitamins (the One A Day ones). I hope it's not the start of something.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    I've had tonsillitis for nearly a week and it's driving me nuts that I can't run. I have been for a 20 min walk every dat for the last few days, until I feel myself getting to wheezy and then I head home again! You'll be back to normal in no time :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I just sort of depends. If I don't have much going on and feel okay, I'll usually still make an attempt at working out, though I may scale it back and not push as hard as I normally do. If I know I'm going to be super crazy busy or something, I'll skip my workouts in favor of resting and getting better faster.

I've had a cold the last week or so, so I skipped some workouts and scaled back my milage, if I even ran at all.
  • I have not been feeling well, but I dont have a fever; so, i have done walking and strength training. My times are short like 10 minutes here or there, or 20 minutes walking. But, ya, if I had a fever, I would totally rest and probably eat popsicles (sp). I hope you feel better soon!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    thank for the replies!

I like reading about what other people do!! I find it interesting how so many people do things so differently!