Fat Burn?

Any runners out there? You probably know about long, slow runs being excellent "fat burners". Well, I read somewhere that going for a long, slow run before breakfast - basically on an empty stomach - will kick-start your metabolism and force your body to run off of your "fat stores". I usually go for my run in the morning before I eat, but maybe I'm not going long enough (my weight hasn't changed). Just wondering if anyone out there has heard about this or tried it?

Replies

• Any runners out there? You probably know about long, slow runs being excellent "fat burners". Well, I read somewhere that going for a long, slow run before breakfast - basically on an empty stomach - will kick-start your metabolism and force your body to run off of your "fat stores". I usually go for my run in the morning before I eat, but maybe I'm not going long enough (my weight hasn't changed). Just wondering if anyone out there has heard about this or tried it?
  • I took a nutrition class my freshman year of college, and one of the things I learned is that any aerobic activity for, I believe, 15 minutes first thing in the morning before anything else can help reduce your calories by almost half throughout the day. Your body is more awake, and your metabolism has a fresh boost.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while running is a great means for exercise, going too fast will burn carbohydrates but not fat. Walking at a swift speed is best, but taking it too high will force your body to burn carbohydrates for energy. Walking is easier on the joints, and it's better for you!

Hope that somewhat answers your question...