Eat this Not that

Options
ce_fit
ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
We all are trying to reduce our caloric intake. One of the ways is reducing what we eat another way is replacing what we eat with something else. I have replaced my ritz crackers with Ryvita - Rye & Oat Bran Crispbread.

Eat this = 4 Ryvita Crisps = 160 calories
Do not eat = 16 Ritz crackers = 256 calories

How about you, what suggestion do you have?

Replies

• anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I replaced all bread with Orowheat Sandwich thins--only 100 calories! And lots of fiber.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JessicaEsqueda
    Options
    Why did you choose to replace the Ritz crackers? Just curious, since you get a larger portion at only 100 calories more.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I swapped Super Creamy Full Fat Yoghurt for Light Greek Yoghurt.
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    To replace the crunchy chips, I now eat special K cracker chips. 20 yummy crunchy chips for 80 cals. If that doesnt cut it, where else can you double to 40 chips for only 160 cals. Super food.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    swapped brown rice for lentils, per 1/4 cup
    lentil=80 cal, lower carbs, more fiber
    brown rice=160 ca, high carbs and less fiber,
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I switched full fat cheddar and american cheese for sargento ultra-thin mild cheddar ONLY 45 CALORIES A SLICE!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chips, but I think it might be a texture thing. One of my favorite things is to put chips on my sandwich... so I started putting cabbage on them instead of lettuce. So far it's working really well! And I can taste the rest of my ingredients better without the overpowering taste of chips!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Popcorn - I eat Healthy 100 calorie popcorn

Chips - I've replaced with Special K chips and popcorn chips.

Sweet things (like brownies, etc) - I'll get Fiber One 90 calorie brownies, cookies. I also will get Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey, Kashi bars or Quaker Rice Snacks. Best thing, though, are frozen grapes.

Eggs - I've replaced this with Egg Beaters. It is half the calories, fat, etc.

Soda - I've cut out and only now drink water.

Cheese - technically not supposed to eat because lactose intolerant, but I'll get the Kraft Fat Free Mozzarella once in awhile. It's 45 cal for 1/4 cup.

Soy Milk - I switch back and forth between Light and the DHA 3 one. The light is 60 calories for 1 cup. The DHA one is 110 for a cup.

Cereals - Switched from the more sugary brands to Special K Original or Multigrain Cheerios. Kashi cereals are good too.

For salad dressing, I like the fat free Italian and for 2 cups of salad mix, it only takes 1 tbsp to really coat it and that tablespoon is 7.5 calories.

Yoplait Light yogurts - 90 calories and have a lot of flavors I love!

Butter - I use the I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Spray mostly

Peanut Butter - I am starting to use PB2.

Regular Mayo - I switched to Mayo with Olive Oil.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Why not eat 4 Ritz crackers instead of 16? 64 calories instead of 160 for the Ryvita... or are the 4 of them as big as the 16 ritz?

I'll take the full-fat miracle whip just a smaller portion to achieve the same "33% less fat" but NOT the same taste that they also sell.
    Maple syrup not the corn syrup blend table syrup...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Milk chocolate - mostly replaced with dark
    Processed cheese slices - Armstrong cheddar, now Swiss
  • ce_fit
    Options
    Why did you choose to replace the Ritz crackers? Just curious, since you get a larger portion at only 100 calories more.

I save 100 calories and I am able to break the crisp breads into 16 pieces and on top of that I have my cheese. 1 crisp bread is about the size of 4 ritz crackers.

I am just as full and I saved 100 calories.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Maybe not too exciting, but I replaced Vanilla Almond Milk with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Save my sugar for other things, can't really taste the difference in cereal, oatmeal, or coffee, half the calories.

Here's a good one: for ranch dressing/dipping sauce, I now mix plain nonfat yogurt (Greek or regular) with a little (a lot) minced garlic, a dash of vinegar, and whatever other seasoning I feel like. Tastes sort of spicy mayonnaise-y (like aoli), delicious on baked sweet potato wedges and completely guilt-free!

(edit to add) Also, I haven't been to a coffee shop in almost two months. I make my own coffee every day and control what goes in it instead of getting a $4.00 latte with 350 calories. I have stopped putting any sugar in my coffee. I have never liked artificial sweeteners and they are terrible for you, so I have gotten used to things not being quite so sweet.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free maple syrup instead of the regular kind. It tastes a little different, but I happen to like the sugar free kind better!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbreads for any type of cracker. I use them for salsa; top them with PB, bananas & honey; chocolate spread; tuna salad.

Trader Joes seasame ginger vinagrette for peppercorn ranch dressing.

Salad instead of fries or chips when dining out.

Homemade egg, ham & veggie frittatas and toasted lighy english muffin instead of breakfast sandwiches at Dunkin Donuts.
  • ce_fit
    Options
    Lot's of great idea's here.

Another one for me is Quaker Crispy Minis instead of Lay's
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Wow, those last 50 posts were awesome...

Anyways I eat Potato Puffs instead of chips. 2 cups of puffs are only 90 calories!
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Lots of awesome ideas on here so far I may try!!

Instead of Starbucks, I make my own coffee and add sugar-free peppermint mocha creamer. Tastes delicious and 2 tablespoons of creamer are only 30 calories!

Also, I use Alvarado St. Bakery - Essential Flax Seed, Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread instead of the regular loaves you can buy. 50 calories, 9 carbs, 1 fat and a whole lotta fiber! And it tastes pretty delicious too.

Also, if I crave something sweet [which I do a LOT]- I mix 1 cup of plain or any flavor greek yogurt with 1-2 scoops of any flavor protein shake mix and put it in the fridge for a bit. Voila! Tastes like cheesecake. [Got that one from someone on my friend's list and I've never been happier!] Sometimes I bulk it up with some natural granola or nuts. Adds so much flavor and it's a GREAT way to get more protein in your diet too.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hahaha thread hijacked by spammers.
    Unsweetned almond milk in freezer intend of ice cream sweetened w splenda
    Egg whites flaxseed and protein powder " pancakes" instead of regualr pancakes
    Low carb high fiber whole wheat tortillas only 50 cals each
    Crystal farms cheese wedges only 30 cals each
    Walden farms has BBQ sauce, pancake syrup, an all sorts of salad dressings zero calories zero carbs
  • Justin
    Justin Posts: 12 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

We would like to apologize for any frustration you are experiencing from these spam posts. We really appreciate your involvement in the forums, and appreciate your reporting of the spam. We hope to have fixes in place to prevent them in the future.

Happy holidays from all of us at MFP,
    Justin
    MyFitnessPal Staff