half marathon

Options
Hey everyone, I need help finding out if I can physically train for a half marathon.

Im 15, 165 pounds, and 6 feet tall. I went a month ago from running 1 mile 3-4 times a week, to then pushing myself to run 2 miles the day after; the next day I ran it out until 3.1 miles. I now run 5ks every single day for about 2 weeks. I occasionally push it to 4(6.4k) miles maybe 1-2 times a week, but usually just 5k. March 9th is the Miami beach HALF marathon and I was wondering if physically will my body be able to train up running that much in a little over 3 months. Considering my age and all I don't know if it would be healthy for me to train that hard, but i'm really willing to push myself. If anyone has any advice for training or training plans for me please let me know. Thanks!

P.S. I run everyday 5k before playing basketball and 3-4 times a week ill lift weights, to give you an idea of how active I am, I do think I am able to, I just want to know if I have enough time.

Replies

• mrsimon302
    mrsimon302 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think you have enough time.. My first 5k was in March 17th, I then began training for my first half marathon which was in May 5... so it's doable.

FYI.. I was 27, roughly 165lbs..

Good luck to ya!
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    why are you rushing into something thats involves endurance. Take the proper time to train first them complete the task. There are alot of conditions with the race that may surprise you...hills for starters...your age isnt my concern vs your lack of training....
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

hopes this helps a lil good luck
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That's cutting it pretty close. You may be better off setting a goal of a 10k first and *then* the half, later in the spring. You really don't want to risk injury from overtraining.

Here's a training plan from Canadian John Stanton, founder of "The Running Room".

He's very active on his facebook page - he posted encouraging comments multiple times a day. He's also answered my questions. I'd suggest asking him! (he comes up as a public figure - profile pic wearing a black ball cap with a Canadian flag on the side)

http://tgrunning.tripod.com/training.htm
  • youngblood_2010
    Options
    Not the soundest advice I can give....but this past summer I barely trained for a half; came down with plantar fasciitis 6 weeks beforehand. I didn't run one time during that period and still completed it. Anything is possible. Just don't overtrain, seems like you have plenty of time to work your way up.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its possible, but you don't have much wiggle room. You would need to get a novice half training program and be very strict to sticking to it...you can't skip a long run here and there because of other weekend plans without really digging yourself a hole. I prefer the advice to do a 10k first, its more sensible, but your plan is ok if you start now. You should be really realistic about your goals too- your current 5k time is going to be a faster pace than you should train to finish the half at...your first goal should just be to finish. You can train for time when you have more time to adequately prepare. If you try to overshoot your pace, you'll either get injured or stop before you get injured- neither of them has a great outcome. And speaking of injury, if you start hurting, you need to back off your training, regardless of it mucking up your training program. Running injuries absolutely blow, and running through pain just to finish a race you weren't totally prepared for is not worth the risk, at all. Real pain means stop. Running through pain might set you back several months or longer. Seriously. Finally, training programs have built in rest for a reason...it will not help to try to do more than the program says to or skip rest days. Don't cheat the rest. And finally finally (I know, its a last minute addition) you have to eat to support your training. Don't try to lose much weight during this, it won't have a good outcome. Don't cut more than 10% off TDEE including exercise, my vote would really be less than 5% deficit, but your vote is the only one that counts.

So in short, you can do it if you start a novice program like yesterday, stick to it like its your new religion, be realistic about your goals, and stop if you feel pain.

I like the novice programs runners world has, and Hal Higdon's website has. Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What bean notes is really excellent advice. I'm also training for a half right in March and while it is my goal, I will drop it if I don't make my training plan - miles, frequency and injury free. Among the plans - I'm using Tom Hollands Marathon Method - it's a 16 week plan.
    Do not forget to taper off at the end of your training.

As you are young and likely recover much better than and old fart like me - stick to your plan, do it, and you CAN make this, but listen to your body. Injuries suck.

And thank you, Bean, for the reminder that weight loss isn't the goal during this period.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are many people who complete full marathons dressed in heavy bear costumes carrying buckets full of coins. These aren't necessarily ultra fit athletes either. Follow a beginner's plan, if the plan gets too tough, then maybe that will be an indicator as to whether the 1/2marathon will be too tough for you.