Heavy Lifting NSV

Options
Today marks my first full week of powerlifting. I am fortunate enough to have a great local gym that actually offers a powerlifting class - with a female instructor! Part of this NSV is that I went to class that first day. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to putting myself in new social situations alone. But I forced myself to go that first day knowing I wouldn't regret it, and now I am completely hooked on lifting heavy!

The other part of this NSV is that even though I have no experience with weightlifting, I am not as weak as I thought I was! My first day doing squats I was able to do 5 rep sets with 75lbs, bench (speed bench - I kind of jumped in at a weird time) 85lbs, and deadlift 90lbs (primarily just working on getting form right).

The best part about all of this is that for the first time in a long time I genuinely feel good about myself. And I feel like this is something I can be successful with.

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of moving metal!!
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    its a great feeling, well done!!
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    Soo exciting! Congratulations :)
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Ohh, Go girl! Hope you keep going!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Kudos on every step in this nsv.......well done!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Today marks my first full week of powerlifting. I am fortunate enough to have a great local gym that actually offers a powerlifting class - with a female instructor! Part of this NSV is that I went to class that first day. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to putting myself in new social situations alone. But I forced myself to go that first day knowing I wouldn't regret it, and now I am completely hooked on lifting heavy!

The other part of this NSV is that even though I have no experience with weightlifting, I am not as weak as I thought I was! My first day doing squats I was able to do 5 rep sets with 75lbs, bench (speed bench - I kind of jumped in at a weird time) 85lbs, and deadlift 90lbs (primarily just working on getting form right).

The best part about all of this is that for the first time in a long time I genuinely feel good about myself. And I feel like this is something I can be successful with.

I have only been lifting for a few months. I just barbell squatted 100# on Wednesday. I can only deadlift 70#...haven't bench pressed yet, but I want to.

I feel great about myself too, and want to see how far I can take it--not competition or anything, but maybe fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    That's great! I now feel inferior for for only doing 7 squat reps with 65lbs lol. You must be very strong!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Heavy lifting is amazing
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go heavy or go home; nice job & keep it up!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!! :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nice work!! keep it up!!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Great work
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!