hmmm why bother?

Options
i was filling in all the weights i did in the gym and it just told me what i did and that. it never added any calories or took of any fats or anything. so what is the point in putting in the weights what u did? any help? or should it increase the calorie or something?

thanks in advance jack.

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you put it under cardio it will give you additional calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I like to put it there just to know it's there... keep myself accountable. If I can't put it in 'cause I didn't do it... that means I'm slacking. But others put under weight training in cardio to log it.
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Depending on the exercise I sometimes put it under cardio. I do the Biggest Loser Boot Camp Level 1 and 2 so I count it as cardio and strength training. Plus I add the warm up and cool down. There is no way that I am going to do all of those exercises and not get credit. Even though I did 35 min. it said I only burned 191 calories. I will take it any way I can. :smooched:
    I did the Dancing with the Stars Latin dancing this morning and tried each dance and it said I burned more calories. I don't think I burned that many. Se la ve! I didn't take French. LOL:flowerforyou:
  • SableGrey
    SableGrey Posts: 21
    Options
    I'd rather put it in there under cardio and have the calorie burn be logged as lower than what it was than not put it in there at all. So at the end of the day, I burned 1000 calories according to MFP but in reality I burned more...not a bad thing right?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The only reason I log my exercise here is to get the added calories. So I just use the cardio entries and put in whatever I need to in order to get the calories right.

I keep track of my actual exercise in a different spreadsheet where I can track it the way I want to and keep track of things like mileage and not just time.

So, it just depends on why you are tracking it as how you want to do it.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights burns very little calories. The first few days you'll burn a little bit, but afterwards that amount drops significantly. You can eat a little bit extra protein, but you're not going to melt away pounds by lifting, it doesn't work like that. Cardio activities on the other hand burn large amounts of calories.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I do the Biggest Loser Boot Camp Level 1 and 2 so I count it as cardio and strength training.
    You might want to try using Circuit Training. I used to do what you did for my Crossfit workouts but I found that Circuit training was easier and it seems more accurate too.
  • jackcann
    jackcann Posts: 3
    Options
    Lifting weights burns very little calories. The first few days you'll burn a little bit, but afterwards that amount drops significantly. You can eat a little bit extra protein, but you're not going to melt away pounds by lifting, it doesn't work like that. Cardio activities on the other hand burn large amounts of calories.

you are completely wrong my friend. i asked a trainer. you body gets use to the c.v you have to mess it up if you do you burn loads and thats what 5 personal trainers said. so don't just do c.v.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I do my EA Sports Active for the Wii, it combines cardio and strength and tallies the calories you burn along the way. I definitely notice that I'm burning alot less when it's during a strength exercise, but it's still something. I'd say to count it, every little bit helps!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Depends upon how how you lift. If you rest a lot between sets then it won't burn much. If you move very quickly between exercises (resting 30 seconds or even less) you most certainly do burn a lot of calories. This burn is even greater when you combine multiple muscles in the same move (squats with shoulder press, etc.). It's called circuit training and it is incredibly effective at burning fat. Additionally, this type of exercises has a greater potential for "after burn" meaning that your metabolism stays raised slightly even after the workout is finished.

Resting a lot between sets is more of a mass-building workout. If you are trying to build mass, you don't want to do a lot of cardio because so you do want to rest a lot and not raise your heart rate a lot. You also want to eat at a calorie surplus.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

Depends upon how how you lift. If you rest a lot between sets then it won't burn much. If you move very quickly between exercises (resting 30 seconds or even less) you most certainly do burn a lot of calories. It's called circuit training and it is incredibly effective at burning fat.

Resting a lot between sets is more of a mass-building workout. If you are trying to build mass, you don't want to do a lot of cardio because so you do want to rest a lot and not raise your heart rate a lot. You also want to eat at a calorie surplus.

I agree wit this as well. If I move fast enough my HR stays up in the mid-high ranges, according to my HRM. I can burn just as many cals doing this as I can on cardio if I kept at it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I only log mine in the strength section because I'm not trying to burn while doing them. I'm trying to gain muscle mass, also, as MacMademe said...I have to keep an extra log so I can track mileage and other factors.
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I put my weight lifting I'm doing with ChaLean Extreme under Cardio, mainly because I burn 300+ every workout.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    As kaitlinj said, you CAN burn just as much doing weight training. And unlike cardio, when you weight train, your body continues to burn at a much higher rate when you finish.
  • allysond
    allysond Posts: 3
    Options
    Strength Training will also burn calories in the long run. As you build more muscle your body needs more energy to sustain them!
  • hawkeye01
    hawkeye01 Posts: 162
    Options
    All depends on the work out. I only rest about 1 minute between reps and lift pretty heavy weights. When I am hitting it pretty hard and keeping very close track on my heart rate/calorie counter watch, I can burn about 350 - 400 calories in about 40 mins. or so. So if don't lift much weight to bring on a sweat and take long breaks,. your absolutely right that you won't burn very much.