How to stay full till dinnertime

Options
I have a problem...everyday by the time I get home from work I am ready to devour everything in my kitchen! I usually try to eat a pretty filling breakfast so by the time I am hungry again it's around about 2pm. For lunch I eat little stuff like a banana, or granola bars, or small bags of 100 calorie chips, but I always end up starving by 6pm so I'm now thinking maybe that isn't such a good idea :laugh: . Can anyone give me a suggestion for a filling yet healthy lunch that will hold me until dinner (which is usually @ 7pm)?

Replies

• amjayasuriya
    Options
    Where is the rest of your lunch? Just granola bars or chips? There is no protein, etc. to keep you full. Once you have more for lunch, try drinking more water to keep you feeling fuller. I would add a salad with tuna or a piece of chicken. Or try a wrap in a whole wheat pita and put the salad in there. Add some fruit as well and carrots for that crunch that normally comes from your chips.
  • marthauchino
    marthauchino Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out Jorge Cruise's book "The 3-hour Diet." According to him, you aren't eating often enough or the right kind of food. If you follow his plan, you should lose easily and never feel hungry.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    When I come home so starved I cant think straight I eat a pickle.

It calms be down so I can prepare a healthy dinner.

I usually skip breakfast but eat a mid morning snack, then lunch then an afternoon snack.

Are you saving most of your calories for dinner?
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Have thought about switching to a lighter breakfast and then eating your large meal at lunch time?
  • rlpetersen
    Options
    I have a container of yogurt mid afternoon with a little granol cereal over it...
  • kmpinales
    Options
    Correct... you need to have at least two snacks in between meals.
    This is what i'm doing.

Breakfast: 7: 30am- Slim fast- Creamy milk chocolate
    Snack: Between 10 am & 11 am - Either an apple, pear, Celery & Carrots
    Lunch: 12:30pm- Slim fast- Creamy milk chocolate
    Snack: between 2:30pm & 3pm
    Dinner: when i get home- whatever is left over from the day before or cook something,
    (just try to stay, around my left over calories)
    Remember to drink lost of water- i drink about 6-8 bottles of water- 16.9 oz each-

Good luck, & God bless...

KM
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Personally, I find the only way I can keep my mind off food for longer than 2 hours is by eating a good combination of protein carbs and fats at every meal. You need the carbs for energy, and the fats and proteins help slow digestion. Try a protein shake, a granola bar, and a handful of nuts for a convenient meal to help stay full =)
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    A big breakfast is great, but when you do get hungry for lunch you need to eat a real lunch. There are planty of good things you can eat for lunch. It is important to have a lean protien (chicken, turkey, tuna, shrimp) and plenty of vegetables. This can be done as a salad, soup, or stirfry, in a myriad of combinations. If you find a low calorie, whole grain bread, you can even do it as a sandwich or wrap. Save the granola bar or whatever as a snack if you still can't make it till dinner, but a good lunch should get you a lot farther than you are now.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's turkey sub (515) or beach club unwich (450)!! Reasonable no. of calories but filling and healthy-ish.
  • lucky1ns
    Options
    KMP-

That's all you eat?

With all due respect I eat about 5 times more than you, have lost more and we started at about the same weight. I bet I am at least twice your age on top of that.

When did you start if you dont mind my asking?
  • rjquezada
    Options
    Try eating a healther lunch. Instead of chips make a hearty Turkey Chili. Try this recipe from Delish.com (Crock Pot Turkey Chili Recipes)

I modified the recipe a bit,

Instead of Ground Turkey use Ground Turkey Breast (Less Fat and Sodium)

Instead of Refried Beans and Kidney Beans, replace with 1 cup each of Pinto Beans (Low Sodium, Low Fat), Black Beans and White Beans

You can also add one small potato cut into small cubes or carrots

Nutritional Values:

Serving Size = 1 Cup

Calories = 196
    Carbs = 2
    Fat = 5
    Cholesterol = 24
    Sodium = 90
    Sugar = 1

Make sure to eat good meals that are healthy but filling. The nice thing is that you can eat more than 1 cup and still be within your daily calorie, fat, sugar, sodium and cholesterol count. Try to stay away from processed, pre-packaged foods. When you shop for food at the grocery store, "Shop the Perimeter" only. The perimeter is where the healthy stuff is located (Proteins/Meats, Veggies/Fruits and Dairy) do not go down the other aisles, these are all pre-packaged items full of additives. Remember, Asparagus is the superfood that will help you lose the weight faster. If you are craving chips as a snack try eating POP Chips which are a great deal healthier than baked chips. You can find them at Costco or Raleys,Nob Hill, Safeway etc... in the organic section. I am in no way thin but by eating this way, it curbs the cravings and keeps me filled between meals. Make certain you are eating small meals 6 times a day and no later than 7p. Good Luck and check out Delish.com or doctoroz.com for some healthy/great recipes.
  • angelgrl76
    Options
    Well I try to get most of my calories in @ breakfast, b/c I can burn those off through out the day. As far as dinner goes because I'm cooking for 5 so its usually tends to lean toward the heavier side, but I try to eat small portions.
  • foxywife75
    foxywife75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You should make sure that you are eating a great deal of fibre, protein & nuts. Both of these will keep you full throughout the day. Here's a sample of what I eat each day:

Breakfast - Dr. Oz's Breakfast Blaster Shake (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/magical-breakfast-blaster) I eat both servings for breakfast.

Mid morn snack - handfull of almonds & apple

Lunch - turkey sandwich (100% whole grain bread, 3 slices of oven roasted turkey, onion, lettuce, tomato, spinach, hot peppers, cucumber, dijon mustard, pickle) This sandwich is huge when you make BUT SO YUMMY.

Mid afternoon snack - serving of baby carrots with serving of garlic hummus for dipping

Dinner - Salmon & salad

Make sure you eat breakfast every morning. Try to keep some of meals/snacks the same all the time & switch it up for one meal each day. Learn about psyllium seed husk (I put it in the shake), it's a fibre that will help to keep you full. Drink lots of water.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • lucky1ns
    Options
    Are you using this site to calculate your daily caloric intake?
  • angelgrl76
    Options
    @ lucky1ns, I haven't tried it yet. So busy during the day it's hard to take time to stop and calculate my meals like I should. A little easier to do for dinner meal. I used to keep a food journal for 3 years but fell off now that I work full-time.
  • lucky1ns
    Options
    Just by eyeballing your intake it looks like you may have room for more food.