Constipation help?

Options
So, all week I've been eating really unhealthy. I had pizza three times this week, along with 2 cappuccinos, and been eating cookies and such. I know this plays a huge role in why I have the problem that I have now. Thankfully, I never went over my calories this week except for last sunday, which wasn't by much. Trust me, lesson is learned. I am from now on not doing this again where I go a whole week eating unhealthy. I hate this frustrating problem. I feel my stool wanting to come out, but I feel like its so big that it can't. I feel that is a huge misconception, but that's just what I think.

Here's what I tried so far to try to "cure" the constipation:
2 laxatives 6 hours in between both.
Drank my daily amount of water and beyond.
Tried sea salt water.
Took 2 diet pills that my cousin said would help and all that did was made me pass gas.

I really don't know what to do... I feel like I should eat fiber foods until it's gone, but I don't feel like eating because I don't want to make the constipation worse.

Guys, what do you do to solve this problem? At this point I wanna do anything and everything to get myself back to normal!

Replies

• lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Glycerine suppository will help you pass the stool that you can feel there without pain. You can get them at the chemist. Once that happens you need to be eating water and fibre and fruit etc on a regular basis to stop the problem coming back.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Grapes work for me.
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    Before eating anything else in the morning- 2 tbs. olive oil.

Drink a cup of coffee.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    lactalose it works well but it will make you fart a lot.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I know that this was on the forum a few days ago . How to Poo, but I saw somebody explaining it on TV once and have to admit it helps when you have constipation.

When sat on the loo put something on the floor in front of you about 8 to 12 inches high and put your feet on it. This puts your body into a squat position rather than a sitting position.

You may need to get laxatives etc but it does make it hurt less when the stool finally does move.

Good luck

ETA - spelling !!!!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It may not work for everyone, but try coconut water. I discovered this by accident when I drank two glasses of it and found myself running to the bathroom all afternoon. I looked it up and turns out that coconut can have a laxative effect. Plus, it's natural and it's healthy, so can't go wrong! (just make sure you get the kind with no added sugar).
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Quickly drink a large glass of water every morning when you first wake up. May or may not help with your current acute problem, but I find most mornings I go in 15 or 30 minutes.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i can tell you how to remove it when its there but wont come out. but you have to make sure you wash your hands well after.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is a very common problem with those of us who've has weight loss surgery. I take Milk of Magnesia. A dose every hour until there's movement. More likely than not your stool is dried out and becoming hard to pass. The MOM is a stool softener - it brings water to that area and makes it easier to go.

Good luck.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Glycerin suppository. Stick it up as far as you can, then lie down for as long as you can to give it a chance to work. Stay close to toilet. It sounds like it's at the stage where you need an intervention from that end, anything you take orally now probably won't do much, you need to shift blockage at source.
  • himymfanatic88
    himymfanatic88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mom had a similar problem and baby food, mixed prunes and apples helped her. (:
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a couple months ago. Milk of Magnesia was the only thing that worked. It softened it and made it easier to pass.

If it's too large/blocked and nothing is working, you may have to resort to manual extraction. :( I know, I know... it's really, really gross... but it's either you or some nurse. There's no way I could let a stranger do that.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Glycerin suppository. Stick it up as far as you can, then lie down for as long as you can to give it a chance to work. Stay close to toilet. It sounds like it's at the stage where you need an intervention from that end, anything you take orally now probably won't do much, you need to shift blockage at source.

I agree with this. It was the basis for my statement. If you've used all kinds of oral remedies and they aren't working, you have to go from the other end. Milk of Magnesia should work, but if that doesn't, it's time to buy some suppositories or latex gloves.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Green tea does it for me.....
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber every single day. You should aim for between 20 and 30 mg of fiber a day. Veggies, fruits, high-fiber cereals. I keep fiber supplements at home for those days when I don't quite reach my fiber goal or when I know I've eaten poorly, because I know it will make a huge difference the next morning. A pro-biotic every day also helps keep your system functioning in a healthy way.

And coffee. Coffee always make you go!

But the laxative really should have done its job. Diet pills do not have anything to do with lower intestinal function, so don't bother with that again. Water, yes, that's very important so keep doing that.
  • TheManda27
    TheManda27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    An enema....I know it's pretty gross but it generally helps. If it's an ongoing issue restoralax works really well. It's a powder that you drink daily mixed with water. There is no taste or grainy texture, really helps to regulate.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like your impacted than constipated. I would try drinking some prune juice and eating some bran cereal with lots of fiber. If no go, then enema or manual extraction. Milk of mag is good for constipation but won't help much if you are impacted. Good luck!
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I think everyone has this issue from time to time and it could be several things. The milk of Magnesia helps, make sure that you have enough fiber everyday- take a supplement in the mornings to be sure- never hurts! It should never be painful to pass a BM.... if it continues to be a problem after all these suggestions here- I would definetly call your Dr.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I was very constipated so I went to CVS and bought a sulfur laxative. It worked like a charm but make sure you're near a toilet for the next 6-8 hours. Basically, it's just a heap of sodium. The sodium draws water into your intestinal tract and moves things along in watery fashion. Enjoy.