No weight loss for over 3 weeks

Options
13»

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Refractive-Index-Based Screening of Membrane-Protein- Mediated Transfer across Biological Membranes

By Brändén, Magnus et al in Biophysical Journal 99, 2010 gives information of different types of sugars, like xylitol and erythriol and their effects on the cell membrane.

"
    Splenda is comprised of the high-potency artificial sweetener sucralose (1.1%) and the fillers maltodextrin and glucose. Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH. After 12-wk, half of the animals from each treatment group were sacrificed to determine the intestinal expression of the membrane efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) and the cytochrome P-450 (CYP) metabolism system by Western blot. The remaining animals were allowed to recover for an additional 12-wk, and further assessments of fecal microflora, fecal pH, and expression of P-gp and CYP were determined. At the end of the 12-wk treatment period, the numbers of total anaerobes, bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, Bacteroides, clostridia, and total aerobic bacteria were significantly decreased; however, there was no significant treatment effect on enterobacteria. Splenda also increased fecal pH and enhanced the expression of P-gp by 2.43-fold, CYP3A4 by 2.51-fold, and CYP2D1 by 3.49-fold. Following the 12-wk recovery period, only the total anaerobes and bifidobacteria remained significantly depressed, whereas pH values, P-gp, and CYP3A4 and CYP2D1 remained elevated. These changes occurred at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Evidence indicates that a 12-wk administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including (1) reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, (2) increased fecal pH, and (3) enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of orally administered drugs. Copyright © Taylor & Francis Group, LLC." Article on Splenda

The stuff about sweeteners causing insulin spikes was told to me by a professor of biological physics. Can't find a source on it right now, though
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of "full fat" sugary drinks, I'm trying to cut down on those, I've switched to diet versions and I'm trying to add more water by alternating the drinks.

Diet soda actually confuses your brain to think your getting sugar when in fact you are not. What does that do you ask? Good question...makes you crave sugar. Drink Water!!! Lots and Lots of water. Start with a gallon a day.

Also this. It does not only confuse the brain, but other parts of your body as well.
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Switch to a diet based on real foods, almost everything you eat is processed, there is little fruits and veggies, loads of sugar and probably low in fibre. Get rid of the sports drink and eat a more substantial, wholegrain breakfast for a start. Aim for nine portions of fruits and vegetables a day, three portions of reduced fat dairy, oily fish several times a week, a small portion of protein at each meal and snack, only whole carbs, junk/ processed/ sugary foods to comprise no more than 10% of daily calories which is one small snack.

When you eat right you can do better quality workouts, recover faster, have all the nutrients associated with lower bodyfat (eg. calcium from dairy, omega-3s from oily fish) and health. Research suggests a proper breakfast will help you make better choices and naturally eat fewer calories through the rest of the day. There is no poiint in tracking sodium unless you check the entry of every food you eat because it's not on many of the listings, there is quite a bit of sodium in sweet biscuits/ cookies and breakfast cereal,
    Totally agree, if I ate what was on your diary I would gain weight!
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, I have read that muscle weighs more than fat so you may have more muscle, I also read to go by measurments and the way your clothes fit also, if your clothes are getting bigger on you than you are still loosing, you also may be at a plateu. I went through that for a time myself but I stuck with it and started loosing again. I also started to make green smoothies with dark leafy greens and fruit in my Magic Bullet small blender and replaced a meal in the evenings with my smoothie and that also made a big difference in my weight loss goals. Hope this helps. Don't ever give up... Best Wishes.
    Hi Guys,

I'm starting to get slightly discouraged with the lack of weight falling off over the last few weeks.

I started this on 1 October and was at 127kg, by 10 November i was down to 120kg but since then my weight hasn't really changed, i try to weigh myself at about the same time each week but its starting to get slightly discouraging.

I'm hitting the gym 5 times a week in a morning before work, doing around an hour a day mainly cardio, and I'm logging everything i eat, consistently under my daily/weekly goal.

I know water weight can make a big difference on a daily basis, but over almost a month i thought i would see some drop in weight.

Has anyone been in a similar position or have any ideas?
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of "full fat" sugary drinks, I'm trying to cut down on those, I've switched to diet versions and I'm trying to add more water by alternating the drinks.

Diet soda actually confuses your brain to think your getting sugar when in fact you are not. What does that do you ask? Good question...makes you crave sugar. Drink Water!!! Lots and Lots of water. Start with a gallon a day.

I use to think this was hooey, until I tried giving it up for a week. I noticed a big difference in appetite right away.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My only thought when reading this was whether or not you measured yourself when you started. Like some people have said, you may be losing, but gaining in muscle. I know every week when I do my weight, i'm going to do my measurements. Also, keep a managable sized cup handy. Every time you go to have a snack/meal or simply walk by the kitchen, pound that cup. I do it with a 24 oz glass and I am able to stay at 20+ cups a day.
  • dingle2k3
    dingle2k3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well what a difference a week makes, took on board some of the advice, upped the water, dropped most of the diet drinks and I've eaten a lot more fruit and veg.

Gone from 120.1kg last Saturday, to 118.4 this week, definitely heading in the right direction!

Thanks again guys.
  • vmart1989
    vmart1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your body is an amazing machine, and it adapts to your workout program...The best way to keep seeing results is to change your workout every 4-6 weeks. This will keep your body guess.

Well wishes in your weight loss.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Well what a difference a week makes, took on board some of the advice, upped the water, dropped most of the diet drinks and I've eaten a lot more fruit and veg.

Gone from 120.1kg last Saturday, to 118.4 this week, definitely heading in the right direction!

Thanks again guys.

Way to go! and congrats on losing the "real" soda to "diet" soda to upping the water.. that took me about a decade to do!