NSV - Binging vs. Gym

Options
Yesterday, I had a really horrible, god-awful day where I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry myself to sleep. In the past, a day like that would have had me making a mental grocery list of my favorite binge foods so I could stop on the way home from work. Then, I would have crawled into bed with my favorite foods and eaten myself into oblivion while watching shows on Netflix, Hulu, and the DVR.

Instead, I didn't even consider a shopping list. My boyfriend asked if I wanted chicken fried rice for dinner, and I said, "Nope. Get me some of the broiled chicken with broccoli, no sauce, no rice. Oh, and after we watch "Big Bang Theory", I'm going to the gym. I forgot to bring my stuff to work with me."

I didn't even give it a second thought.

Looking at that comment from the outside, though, that's so not a "typical" Sarah response. Going to the gym? Get me the healthy version of Chinese food? What?

Oh my gosh! I've changed! :)

I have truly, officially crossed that line where my conditioned response is to do something GOOD for myself, not try to DESTROY myself. It's such a wonderful feeling of freedom, to know that I turn to exercise instead of food and it doesn't feel like something I have to do. It's something I WANT to do. When faced with a horrible day, I didn't medicate with food. I medicated by sweating my a** off. I continued to eat the right foods because I knew a binge would make me feel worse, not better.

This is awesome. :) I've been waiting to reach this point for a few months now. I've always wanted to be one of those people who goes to the gym to work off the stress, and now I am.

Replies

• Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - that is a very pivotal moment!! Be proud.... be very proud!! *high five*
  • youmfpnow
    Options
    Very cool! Love the story, I'm sure it resonates with many who are on a similar journey. You got this on lock now. It's a major victory.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Very cool! Love the story, I'm sure it resonates with many who are on a similar journey. You got this on lock now. It's a major victory.

It really is. :) I think back to how I used to binge in front of the TV, and all I can think is, "WHY?" It's sad, really. I wish I'd done this a lot sooner. I keep apologizing to my body. The old way of coping just feels so alien to me, for lack of a better term. It's like I'm looking back at a different person. I have absolutely no desire to eat like that ever again. To be honest, it kind of scares me.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love this! These are totally the kinds of achievements we strive for aren't they? Whats the point being at a lower weight if you're miserable and feeling deprived? But to learn the enjoyment of just living healthy means that you won't be working against yourself, your body will automatically be working with you and for you. Yay! Good work, and good luck with your future achievements :D
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I am so happy for you :)
  • pimsoclock
    Options
    I am currently in bed. I'm not eating but was certainly not feeling motivated; now I think I'll pull on the running shorts and hit the park!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That is a Huge mental shift...well done you!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Fantastic well done you
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Now that is truly life changing. Congratulations! Continue to embrace those healthy options and the rest will take care of itself.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    That is huge! congrats on recognizing that and giving yourself the pat on the back you deserved.
  • Snotori
    Snotori Posts: 156
    Options
    That's a great NSV! Very proud! WTG!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!