Polar FT4 Battery Changing issues - PLEASE HELP

Options
Anyone have any issues getting the battery cover OFF of the Polar FT4 Wear Link? Mine is impossible to get off (tried a quarter, nickel, screwdriver, and also had 3 engineers at work try with tools). My HRM is 5 months old, given as a gift, and the people at Polar are being d*cks about it.

Anyone have suggestions. I love my HRM

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    jewelry shop?
  • KAA1982
    KAA1982 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I could try there, thanks! It's almost like the part you remove to get to the battery is sealed with glue or something.
    My biggest frustration is them saying that is not covered, when I've had it for 5 months.
  • George1567
    Options
    No help for your cover removal, but you are not alone with the poor service coming from Polar. I recently changed my FT80 battery and the watched never worked correct after. Sent it in (was new in Jan 2012) and they claimed "damage" and not under warranty. They were very rude on the phone and took weeks to respond to emails. For a name that once seemed to be a leader, they are a poor excuse now...........
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It has a rubber gasket inside to make it water proof and it likes to stick. The gasket is on the part that you remove so you have to be careful not to damage it unless you bought your battery from Polar that comes with a new gasket.
  • George1567
    Options
    My old F55 had the o-ring gasket that needed replaced and was way tricky to keep in place during a battery change. A big selling point of the FT series was user change batteries. My family has a FT80, FT60, and FT4, none of which have the replaceable gasket of the old F series.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    According to the directions in the users manual, there's some sort of sealing ring on the transmitter so that probably makes it harder to open. I'm getting ready to change mine as well so if I come up with a trick, I'll be sure to pass it on.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I just changed mine about a month ago with no problem but it does have that O ring gasket. I have an FT4 that's about 18 months old.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Using a coin, turn the cover anticlockwise until it will turn no further. With the cover facing down, briskly rap the device on a hard service. Mock engineers.
  • KAA1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Now I have a BIGGER problem. Changed the battery in the actual watch, and the screen is staying blank. Even tried 2 batteries. Jerks there are saying without proof of purchase they can't help me. It was given to me as a gift 5 months ago, and unfortunately my sister in law no longer has the receipt. I shall be raising hell over this.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Have you tried the battery either way around?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    where do you get a new battery for the HRM?
    Mine has been dead for months now.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Also, there will be a central contact that may require bending towards the battery to make.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    the one drawback of polar is that they want you to send in the whole thing to replace the batteries. The last time I did, it cost $25 but they not only replaced both batteries they also checked to be sure it was operating correctly and was still waterproof, something that is important to me as I like to use mine for swimming.

D
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I had that problem too...no real advice, it just took me a long time to do it and in the process I nearly ground out the groove - next time I need to replace the batteries it should be interesting. :grumble:
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any issues getting the battery cover OFF of the Polar FT4 Wear Link? Mine is impossible to get off (tried a quarter, nickel, screwdriver, and also had 3 engineers at work try with tools). My HRM is 5 months old, given as a gift, and the people at Polar are being d*cks about it.

Anyone have suggestions. I love my HRM

Oh my God, I nearly ruined mine trying to get it off! I had a older gent at work get it off for me-he placed a towel on a workbench, then took a long handled screw driver and bent over it, and applied lots of pressure. It finally came off-what a pain in the *kitten*! Good luck!
  • KAA1982
    Options
    I tried replacing the watch battery with a Rayovac battery. 1st one didn't work and the 2nd one did for 2 days, died and lasted 1 more workout before dying. Hoping it's the fact that Rayovac sux (I work for a battery company and our Alkaline batteries which are made in China outlast theirs). I'm hoping Radio Shack has Energizer brand otherwise I'll order online and hope it was just the Rayovac battery. Still not looking forward to when I need to replace the actual Wear Link...
  • leannegunn
    leannegunn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also used a Rayovac battery that worked for 2 days and then crapped out. I put the other one in the pack in to get through until I have time to get a new one, but that makes two of us, hopefully it really is down to the battery being crap!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    We took ours to a watch guy in our mall.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    where do you get a new battery for the HRM?
    Mine has been dead for months now.

eBay
  • ___meemer___
    Options
    SUPER!!! Mine is ready to die. It shows about 1/4 life left. I hope I don't have the same issue. For those who tried the Raovac and had little success, what brand did you finally find that worked (If you found one that works)?