Master Cleanse...13 lbs down in 5 days...

Options
Recently I've been feeling extra fatigued, sluggish. And unhealthy. I know as nurse that this has to do with my weight gain and unhealthy food choices. I felt that I needed to detox my body and develop a more healthy relationship with food. So after reading and discussing detox diets with doctors at work I decided to start the master cleanse. I am now on day 5 with 5 more days to go and feel pretty good with more energy. I started the diet at 215 and this morning I'm down to 202. That's a total of 13 lbs! I haven't begun to exercise but I'm going to start turbo fire today. Has anyone else started their weight loss with a detox diet?

Replies

• MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I did the master cleanse and lost 15 pounds in 10 days. Detoxing does have its benefits but you have to understand that a lot of te weight loss is contributed to water loss since you are doing flushes everyday. The key to success wih this plan is following the. Period to wean off it and slowly introduce foods back into your body. You must maintain a clean lifestyle and not start eating processed foods again or our body will start back where it was. You will likely gain weight after you start eating again because your carb intake and protein intake will increase. If youdo the cleanse and don't make substantial life change it defeats the purpose. So my experience ended up bein positive- it helped me be more selective because I was committed- but don't use a cleanse for long term weight loss- instead use it is a stepping stone :)
  • serrano2886
    serrano2886 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my plan. To use this as a stepping stone. I'm researching how to start the raw food diet, and making that my 2nd step. Thanks for the advice!!
  • ellaraenae1
    ellaraenae1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Where would I find information on the "MASTER CLEANSE" --

Thanks
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to take such extremes, you should try to find a diet you can stick to for life
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I know sometimes it helps to totally abandon old eating habits to start on good ones.. look forward to hearing how it is gong for you!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to take such extremes, you should try to find a diet you can stick to for life

Shhhhhh no matter what you say or how intelligent your statement is. People who are set on doing a cleanse will do it. Even Dr oz convinces some people. PT Barnum said it, Abe Lincoln confirmed it.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Shhhhhh no matter what you say or how intelligent your statement is. People who are set on doing a cleanse will do it. Even Dr oz convinces some people. PT Barnum said it, Abe Lincoln confirmed it.

^^^ Haha this is great - so true!
  • serrano2886
    Options
    In order to find out more about the master cleanse I read:

Lose Weight, Have More Energy & Be Happier in 10 Days, Second Edition [Paperback]
    Peter Glickman (Author)

I understand that some people might see this as extreme and that's totally ok. This is working for me and breaking the unhealthy 20 year relationship I've had with food. It's showing me that I have will power and I have control over the food I place in my mouth not the other way around. I say as long as your happy and on a road to a healthier you, do what works for you.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been feeling extra fatigued, sluggish. And unhealthy. I know as nurse that this has to do with my weight gain and unhealthy food choices. I felt that I needed to detox my body and develop a more healthy relationship with food. So after reading and discussing detox diets with doctors at work I decided to start the master cleanse. I am now on day 5 with 5 more days to go and feel pretty good with more energy. I started the diet at 215 and this morning I'm down to 202. That's a total of 13 lbs! I haven't begun to exercise but I'm going to start turbo fire today. Has anyone else started their weight loss with a detox diet?

13 lbs in 5 days? Maybe 3 lbs of actual body mass....You dehydrated yourself.

From the Mayo Clinic

<<However, there's little evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body. Indeed, the kidneys and liver effectively filter and eliminate most ingested toxins. The benefits from a detox diet may actually come from avoiding highly processed foods that have solid fats and added sugar.>> -

-http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/detox-diets/AN01334

Health and diet is boringly simple. Eat a balanced plan, stay hydrated, & exercise. There is no Santa Claus, no Easter Bunny, & no Tooth Fairy. Now drop and give me 40. LOL

Seriously, be careful & good luck.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I hope this works for you as a "reset".
    However I have yet to see a single person succeed on this site by resetting and suddenly changing their eating habits overnight. And I have been here for a while now. I have friends who have lost 100+ lbs and became extremely fit by making sustainable lifestyle changes. You cannot undo years of bad habits in days.
    Someone gave me great advice when I first started on MFP. If it isn't something you can do for the rest of your life, don't bother. And I am telling you this is the key to long term success. Not just another diet.
    Good Luck!
  • serrano2886
    Options
    I appreciate your concern and I can assure you that I am not dehydrated. The point of this cleanse is to DETOX not to loose weight.