50# of Potatoes

Options
Jyster
Jyster Posts: 74 Member
Well, my father just gave me an early christmas present of 50 lbs of amish grown russet potatoes. I'm not much of a add butter, sour cream, cheese person for potatoes so i'm pretending this is a healthier "present" But...I need ideas because mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes are only going to be good for so long.

What do you use potatoes in?

~drowning in potatoes

Replies

• Luvs_Pink
    Options
    Mmmm! What an awesome gift!

Potato soup...loads and loads of potato soup!!!!!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Had this just the other day and it was amazingly quick and tasted pretty good too:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/20-20-superfast-soups-00400000039394/page27.html
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    They will go well with a whole tray of hamburgers.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Creamy Mac and cheese from a clean eating magazine. The mashed potatoes make the sauce creamy with less flour butter and cheese. I like cottage cheese green onions and soy bacon bits on a baked potato. There is a recipe for microwave potato chips on mfp forums. Thinly sliced blanched potatoes lining a pie plate makes a terrific quiche pie crust. Potato bread and homemade potato perogies are good. Potato soup, yum! That is a lot of potatoes!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You could make and freeze some gnocchi to use at different times.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Mmmm homemade potato bread, homemade gnocchi, potato soup, roasted and smashed potatoes, french fries, home fries, hashbrowns, scalloped, etc. So much to do with potatoes. Almost none of them especially 'healthy'. I would enjoy this very special gift.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    potatoes gratin. potato and leek soup. potato latkes.....seasoned roasted fries. there are so many things to do. i love potatoes!
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Cut them up into Beef (or any meat) stew, fish chowder, homemade hashbrowns, home cut frenchfries, scalloped or au gratin potatoes, twice baked potatoes....I'm making myself drool here, so here's a website with more ideas!! Hope this helps! http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/healthy-potato-recipes-00412000074324/page18.html
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    baked with cottage cheese...way better than butter and sour cream. Protein, protein
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

The gift that keeps on giving. Win.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Potatoes store well, so they can last indefinitely. People have offered a lot of good ideas, and I have one more. Divide your gift. Keep a share, and donate a share to a local food bank. People are hungry.
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    leek and potato soup yum.... erm.... dauphinoise potatoes (loads of calories in those though).... patatas bravas (spanish dish.... cubed oven roasted potatoes in spicy tomato sauce)..... spanish tortilla? basically potato and onion omelette... i like spanish food ha ha . ok im outa ideas
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted with other vegetables like zucchini/green beans/onions, homemade fries, with egg and sausage in a skillet breakfast, with egg and chorizo inside a flour tortilla, *homemade potato chips, potato fritatta, and sliced thick/brushed with olive oi/seasoned/grilled.

Slice thin on a mandola
    soak in cold water for 20 minutes
    dry well
    spray with pam on both sides -sprinkle with sea salt if wanted
    Nuke for 5 minutes on a microwave safe ceramic/glass plate
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Make some Baked potato, Pour melted cheese on them and add some bacon :bigsmile:
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    potatoe donuts, scalloped potatoes, potatoe soup and freeze it, hash browns? hard as potatoes are high in carbs and calories:) Best of luck with ya on the potatoes:S

OR...have friends over and do a bunch of potatoe skins with bacon, cheese, chives and sour cream to off load some high calorie snacks:)
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know this recipe is targeting more use of new potatoes or small fingerling potatoes, but you could "bake" up a smaller russet or two in the microwave and cut it into chunks to use with this for similar results. This is a hearty salad that makes a good meal. Just take it easy on the dressing and limit the olive quantity to control potential for excess calories.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nicoise_salad/

As others have said, whole fresh potatoes keep well in a cool, dry location. If you have a basement, storing them there on racks or even separated by layers of cardboard will keep air circulating and prevent one that might go bad from affecting surrounding spuds. Pick through carefully and use the softer ones soon/first. Cutting or shredding a few for future hash brown type uses is a good thought too.

I like the idea someone offered of separating out some portion of the potatoes to share with a food bank or soup kitchen. The worst thing that could happen is waste just because you can't use that many potatoes in your diet before some start to spoil. Nice gift!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Soup, hashbrowns, sliced thin and baked, home cut fries, various hot dishes or as people not from minnesota call them- "casseroles".... mashed then use leftovers by frying them in a pancake shape....
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/grilled-potatoes.html Check out skinnytaste.com and type in potatoes...loads of things to make!
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Easiest "fries" ever that aren't even bad for you:

Cut up as many potatoes as you want into small wedges, lightly coat with olive oil, and mix with chili powder, salt, and garlic powder. Bake in the oven at 425ish for about 25 min or until they're the right amount of firm that you like!

Soooo good. I make them all the time and my roommates love them too.