Options

Replies

• FightingforFit82
    Options
    Edit
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think anything that helps burn calories will burn fat.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    Weights have always had that opinion because it creates tone and definition, making you believe you've cut the fat when usually it is building the muscle that is already there. Running burns fat by increasing your heart rate because it's a cardio workout.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Of course running burns fat...it burns more calories in the moment you are doing it more than lifting weights. That doesn't mean it is a more effective at getting your body to look the way you want it, long term, however.
  • FitNB
    FitNB Posts: 16
    Options
    Weights have always had that opinion because it creates tone and definition, making you believe you've cut the fat when usually it is building the muscle that is already there. Running burns fat by increasing your heart rate because it's a cardio workout.

My weights have no opinion. I just pick them up and put them down.

"when considering the big picture, I like to encourage individuals to pursue a complete exercise program — including both aerobic exercise and resistance training,"

/endthread
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    A combination of both is optimal, why just do one or the other?
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ican't run, I need a knee replacement!

Novcomparison-1-1.jpg
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    A combination of both is optimal, why just do one or the other?
    [/quote

What he said.
  • Rawzy
    Rawzy Posts: 4
    Options
    Quick Summary of Fat

Fat can not become muscle and muscle can not become fat.
    Fat can only be reduced if the number of calories expended in a day exceeds the number of calories consumed in a day. Fat will be gained if the opposite occurs.
    If you stop training, but compensate for this with a slight reduction in diet, your body fat will not increase.
    If you begin training but also increase your dietary intake, you can gain fat.
    Fat cells act as one, meaning you can not choose where you lose it or gain it.
    Quick Summary of Muscle

Changes in muscle size, density and/or efficiency cause an increase in strength; however, these changes only result if the muscle is stimulated beyond what it is accustomed to.
    Weight training is the easiest way to control and monitor the changes in your muscle physiology. By manipulating your sets, reps and weight lifted you can achieve various responses. Because of this, it is possible to increase your strength without adding bulk, and it is also possible to increase both.
    When you stop stimulating the muscle, your muscle composition may return to normal or, depending on your regular routine, it may simply stay as is.
    Unlike fat, each muscle can be specifically targeted, so you can choose the specific area you would like to improve. With that said, realize that while you can work your abdominal muscles, for example, you may not see the enhanced shape and form if you have a thick layer of fat covering them up.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    By lifting weights and adding muscle you burn more calories to maintain it, even when just sitting around :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Cardio will burn more calories in general, it is true. This will result in more fat loss overall.

But without weights, the extra cardio will further reduce muscle mass, which will leave you still looking "fat" even when you hit lower weight levels and lower body fat percentages.

Weights will make everything look much better in the end though.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I maintain an AND/BOTH attitude. Stronger muscles are needed for a healthy body/appearance. Cardio is important for a strong heart and it does burn the calories. I pursue both, in moderation. But, I consider myself a runner as it provides ME a sense of accomplishment that I do not get from strength training. Others gain much from their strength training and focus on those goals first. As long as you are progressing towards better health. . .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit burns fat, however you want to get that calorie deficit.

Weights have benefits
    Running has different benefits

They both are beneficial.
  • FitNB
    FitNB Posts: 16
    Options
    Cardio will burn more calories in general, it is true. This will result in more fat loss overall.

But without weights, the extra cardio will further reduce muscle mass, which will leave you still looking "fat" even when you hit lower weight levels and lower body fat percentages.

What he said. Or to summarize:

Run - lose weight
    Lift - look good naked
  • ugomajestic
    Options
    i heard the same thing on Biggest Loser UK
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am not a doctor or personal trainer: this is simply my opinion LOL :)
    but I personally lost 60 pds on running alone. I just recently added weights to my fitness routine in order to tone. But I believe "a body in motion will burn fat" .......period. So whether its cardio or weight training, one would burn fat regardless.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Meh, I think they are both helpful. Weights create more muscle which burns more fat but running gets your heart rate up which I'm sure is good for your metabolism and still burns calories and also builds muscle (maybe not as big). Running is an easy way to get a little bit of exercise to the whole body.
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article, it gives a slightly different take on things than I had read previously. I'm doing weights, and was really building up on the running before lots of snow and ice came my way. I'm really looking forward to getting back to it.

I don't know if everyone who has posted read the article, but its reporting a study that suggests that weight training does not boost metabolism. I have read elsewhere that it does, but not by very much in the big scheme of things. Like anything else, its better not to just take the opinion of one study as gospel truth. Its possible the effect isn't as much as we would hope it to be. Lets face it, we all know bodybuilders with big upper body strength but still quite a belly on them.

It would have been interesting for them to test out HIIT, because it seems to be suggested everywhere that this provides an 'afterburn'.

I agree that lifting weights can have benefits over and above actual fat loss - by improving appearance, strength and so on.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

What he said. Or to summarize:

Run - lose weight
    Lift - look good naked

Yes.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I vote both. I've lost fat doing both.

The fitness trifecta is endurance, strength, and flexibility/balance.