is eating protein the best thing to lose weight?

Options
so I'm a vegetarian and am wondering if protein is most important to lose weight,? i know as a vegetarian i need alot, but i dont seem to be getting enough! it seems each week I try something new to see if it will work for me, and nothing so far and I noticed I may need more protein, and this week I'm gonna focus on eating more protein if it's the best thing to do? and also what should I eat? like protein bars? snacks? frozen vegetarian items like Amy's or morning star?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is to stay in budget. You gain by eating too much not by what you eat. Protein doesn't have any magical weight loss properties although if you listen to those pushing protein shakes you'd think is was the answer to all the world's problems.
  • Cassycat
    Cassycat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    protein is not a magical supplement. It helps supply muscles and helps build bulk. If you exercise daily, then yes, you should intake your allotted amount of protein depending on what exercises you're doing.

Cardio, it really makes no difference
    strength, weight training, Its best to get as much as possible to prevent injury.

But for the weightloss factor, it doesn't make much of a difference.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What is that cinnamon dessert thing you have for dinner each night? It claims to have 150 calories and 21g protein, which seems odd.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    he reason it is so nice is that it helps support muscles. Especially if you are working out during your weight loss, you want to minimize muscle loss, since muscles are basically what burns calories for you.

Also, proteins and carbs have the same calorie value per gram, 4, but most people are more satiated eating proteins than carbs, so it helps to still feel full even while limiting calories.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    protein is not a magical supplement. It helps supply muscles and helps build bulk. If you exercise daily, then yes, you should intake your allotted amount of protein depending on what exercises you're doing.

Cardio, it really makes no difference
    strength, weight training, Its best to get as much as possible to prevent injury.

But for the weightloss factor, it doesn't make much of a difference.
    agree
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you eat seafood, its packed in protein, pumpkin seeds, cottage cheese, eggs, along with nuts & legumes (beans, brown, black, navy, lentils).

Cheers:drinker:
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What is that cinnamon dessert thing you have for dinner each night? It claims to have 150 calories and 21g protein, which seems odd.

Quick google yielded:

http://www.bsnonline.net/details/leandessertprotein.html
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with what masterdo said. If you are willing to do dairy, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whey/casein powder and eggs are all good sources of protein. Completely vegetarian protein sources I use include textured vegetable protein, legumes, edamame (safeway now has individual microwaveable packs), and brown rice to make sure the proteins are complete.

Also, I'm not vegetarian, but I was for years, so there are some vegetarian foods I like, and you have to be careful because a lot of the meat replacements don't really have that much protein.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too. I found that eating a large amount of protein in the morning is best for me. I have 1 real egg, 1/2 cup eggbeaters, and a Morningstar sausage patty pretty much every morning. Be careful with the Morningstar products though because they are highly processed and probably not that good for you. Just take a look at the ingredient list. And remember, vegetables have protein! So do soy products, non-dairy milk, yogurt, etc. So many things have protein. I also supplement with a protein powder post-workout, especially on strength days. My stats: 5'3" and 126 lbs. :flowerforyou: