Running for people with ASHTMA

Options
What about jogging/running for people with severe asthma?

I'm a beginner runner. I am terrible at running, but I can't help to blame it on my asthma.

I eat well, drink a lot of water, take a daily multivitamin, and I am active other than when I am at the gym as well (waitress).

Along with my rescue (proair) inhaler, I use symbicort every morning and night to help prevent using my rescue inhaler, but I still need to use every day (especially when exercising).

I started the C25K program on my phone 2 weeks ago and I am starting Week 3 Day 1 today. I am sticking to it, but I am really struggling. I walk at 3.5 and jog at 5.7. When I am done jogging I am so out of breath, sweaty and tired and think to myself that theres no way I could have jogged for a second longer.

Will my asthma forever prevent me from being able to run straight for a long time? Am I doomed?!

Replies

• Deedle20
    Options
    bump
  • Deedle20
    Options
    bump x2? :(
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    have you tried pre-medicating with your inhaler before you start running? My respiratory therapist told me to always pre-medicate. I am on singulair, advair, then have the proair as a rescue inhaler ( or to pre-medicate with).

I have been going to the gym for almost 11 months, and there has only really been one time that I almost had to get my inhaler. Last week I set a new PR while barbell squatting, and was kind of overwhelmed emotionally. My throat got tight and I thought I was going to have to get my inhaler, but after I took a minute to get my head straight I felt better.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have (had?) pretty bad asthma. I had it more or less under control by taking Asmanex once daily and albuterol as needed. Sounds like you are on a similar protocol.

What REALLY helped was taking the rescue inhaler 15-30 minutes BEFORE running. I did this for a long time. Over time, my asthma symptoms lessened to the point where I rarely take either inhaler now. I hope you have the same fate!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I don't have asthma, but I do have COPD from years of smoking. How fast are you running? Start slow. You can worry about speed later. Slow......and its hard to slow down. I have to use an inhaler before any exercise, and would get so short of breath that I would think I couldn't go on. I've gotten better (just ran 11 miles) and have actually taken first and second place in my age group in 5Ks, but its taken 2 years to get there. Dont' give up - just slow down and do what you can. Good luck~
  • Deedle20
    Options
    Yes I take a puff from my inhaler before I get on the treadmill !
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

RIGHT before, or a little while before? It seemed to make a big difference for me if I gave it like a half hour to take full effect.
  • Deedle20
    Options

RIGHT before, or a little while before? It seemed to make a big difference for me if I gave it like a half hour to take full effect.

Yes, right before. I will try doing it 30 minutes before from now on though.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Try running at just a bit of a slower pace - slow enough so that you have the wind to carry on a conversation. If this isn't an acute attack but a gradual loss of breath, you may just be pushing a bit too hard. I'm an asthmatic who started C25k quite some time ago and by keeping my pace under control I've been able to build up my stamina to the point where I *can* run without getting winded.