When did you really start to visually notice results?

Options
I have lost 17lbs now and I am surprised at how little I can tell. I notice a little extra cup room in the boobie area, but other than that I cant see it, and no one around me has really noticed either.
Im 5'5 199 pounds ( welcome to onederland baby woo woo:drinker: ). I knew since I was bigger than ever this time it would take longer to notice but I really thought it would be at little noticable by almost 20lbs in. I also dont think it was water weight either, It didnt come off overnight, its been a good 9-10 weeks to lose the 17lbs.

So the question is when did you start to notice or have others comment on your loss? Or better yet when your clothes started to get loose?

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    <
    See that muscle.. thats about the only thing i've noticed besides the fact i cant fit in over half of my clothes that are now bagged up to go to goodwill.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I've lost 47 pounds since September 12th and I started noticing (others too) around 40 pounds.... Kinda sucks how that works out BUT hey it's worth it :-)
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    At your height, I'm surprised you haven't noticed it more. I'm 5'8", by 10 pounds, I find that clothes are getting loose, and I can cross my legs more easily. At 17 pounds, I would have thought that you'd be needing new pants, but, everybody's different!
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I notice every few pounds, but I am very conscious of my body.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19lbs and only recently have I been able to tell the difference, my clothes are starting to be a little looser and my family have noticed quite a bit. :)
    It took my family who I live with, about 3-4 months to notice. :)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I notice after 3lbs or so. 7lbs to 10lbs would be a full size difference for me.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I didnt notice til about 20 lbs in...but others were noticing a few lbs before then. Also, it did not TRULY see the difference until i looked at my before pictures and compared them with where i am now. Take pic along the way, it helps.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The rough guidelines I've heard (and they seemed to be true for me) are at about 5% loss, you can feel a bit of difference, at about 10% you and people very close to you may see a difference, and it takes about 20% for others to see it. I guess I was lucky, I started getting positive comments from casual friends at about 15%.

But like just about everything, it also depends on other things... if it's very gradual, it may be less obvious to you. If you keep wearing bulky, covering clothes, it's harder to see. Changes will be different depending on your situation. Also, consider your posture... someone who stands and sits tall with tummy pulled in looks like they've lost much more than someone who slumps over and hides any progress. Some people recommend looking at side-by-side pictures or measurements as a more objective way to check progress.

Congratulations on what you've lost so far! Keep at it, and it will eventually be obvious to everyone - even you.

P.S. Use percentages rather than pounds for things like this. Fifteen pounds will make a much bigger difference on someone who started out at 150 pounds (10%) than someone who started at 300 pounds (5%).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The bigger you are, the harder it is to notice. Now when I even lose 1lb, other people notice because I've gotten much smaller. In the beginning, I noticed at around 6lbs (142--->136).
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss thus far and also entering Onederland!:happy: I am looking forward to that day once again. I have shed in the last month 18 pounds(most was water weight)and just recently started tracking again on MFP. I noticed my face and neck and shoulders are more defined now. I still have a long ways to go but it's nice to see some results. I even have dropped 2 dress sizes as well. I am 5'11" so when my hubby and I go home to visit family next week I am wondering if they will notice. If not that is fine because I know that I can see the results. I wish you well.
  • gerryca
    gerryca Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think around 20 pounds is when, no matter your initial weight. But a lot of people won't say anything even though they notice.
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see different is that the extra chin disappeared. Phew!
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    For each person the timing is different however the easiest way to tell visually is taking pictures. Take photos of yourself today (clothed and in the buff should you dare). Loads of people say after the event I wish / I regret that I didn't take photos earlier. Sometimes I think that's because they don't like what they see, which is fair enough but it leaves a void on progress.

I take photos every 2 weeks when I weigh in, I save the pictures in a folder and then compare once a month. What's clear to see in my monthly review is exactly where the weight has come off, even if no -one comments I know this because the photos don't lie.

I could be wrong but sometimes people don't like to say, it can imply they see you as fat or whatever term they care to use. When you've lost a considerable amount then it seems easier for people to comment. I dunno why it happens like that neither do I care, but in the interim you need to see it for yourself, so photos is the way forward.

Take frontal and side photos off your face, chest, back, arms, legs. stomach, bum, thighs and feet, If you're busting a gut in the gym or otherwise and hitting your daily calorie deficit - then tell me in a months time that you don't see a difference because if you do, then I'm a Dutchman and I'll send you some tulips. :laugh:

The point is, if you're doing all of the above then it will be plain to see the difference, it keeps you motivated and one day someone will say 'have you lost weight' and you'll be posting a NSV right here on MFP. :smile:

Best of luck on your journey and don't give up. A picture can say a thousand words and the first four words are: Have you lost weight? :smile:
  • DivaSlimsDown
    Options
    because I was alot heavier I didn't notice a difference until after I lost 60 pounds. but now when i go back to pictures or videos I see chances in my face and hands after the first 20 pounds.
  • sundevil5138
    Options
    dpzf5l.jpg
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    because I was alot heavier I didn't notice a difference until after I lost 60 pounds. but now when i go back to pictures or videos I see chances in my face and hands after the first 20 pounds.

On the upside, you look great and that's a fantastic loss!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with NaughtieFortie: maybe others see it a bit, but are afraid to comment because it's a personal thing, and they don't want you to realize that they think of you as being an unhealthy weight.

I started out with about 50 lbs to lose, and it wasn't until I lost about 18 that others started to ask if I had gotten slimmer. I didn't really see it until recently, but side-by-side photos are your friend! Take photos, and trust me, you will see a difference.
  • cem9532
    cem9532 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see different is that the extra chin disappeared. Phew!

Yes I cant wait for that thing to go away!!!!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 pounds in about 4 months and I cant really tell the difference, unless I look at photos. All I know is I can do a lot more push ups and pull ups than I did 4 months ago and my arms are a lot more toned than squishy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice until I was about halfway to my goal, and even then, only when comparing photos. Photos are a fantastic way to track.

For me, part of it was that I'd gained about 10 in a few months before I started losing. And I was only wearing my most forgiving clothes... like the very stretchy jeans. So when I'd lost that first 10-15 pounds, I was back to where I was before I'd gained that last bit. In my mind, I was a little bummed because "I'm wearing the same clothes," but in retrospect, I wasn't. I was wearing ALL my clothes again, not just the stretchiest ones.